Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Looking for someone who can help register a bike in Hangzhou 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Can anyone point me in the right direction of an agent that helps people get their bike registered?

I've got a used bike I want to buy located in Gongshu district, already has a plate. It's fully road legal and has all the documentation, I need the help of someone who knows the right people and knows how to get things done to help me transport the bike to a district where it can be registered, the annual safety inspection needs to be done, the bike needs putting into my name, and the mandatory insurance for the year needs paying.

My Chinese isn't that great so someone that can speak a little English preferred.

Obviously I would pay for this service, just to be clear.

2. #2 Re: Looking for someone who can help register a bike in Hangzhou 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob bigheadsnake's Avatar
    Hi~

Almost every dealer of motorcycles (Except one brand dealer like Kawasaki or BMW) in China has that kind of service, just ask one to do that, all you need will be done in one day, cost about 1000 RMB.

I suggest that you could ask some dealers of CF MOTO or suzuki or some other brands like this, who sell bikes more than 250cc to do that, they will be more professional.

Be aware, forgeiners in China may take extra money to register the bike under their names.
    Jialing 600 and CJ 650 Sidecar Owner.

3. #3 Re: Looking for someone who can help register a bike in Hangzhou 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    If I go to a dealership will they want me to buy a bike from them? Or can I just pay them 1000RMB to help me register a bike I have already purchased from someone else?

4. #4 Re: Looking for someone who can help register a bike in Hangzhou 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob bigheadsnake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhejiang rider View Post
    If I go to a dealership will they want me to buy a bike from them? Or can I just pay them 1000RMB to help me register a bike I have already purchased from someone else?
    You don't need to buy bikes from them, just ask them to register the bike you already buy, and pay for the service, and you'd better have some Chinese friends to be with you, The dealers always charge more to foreigners.
    Jialing 600 and CJ 650 Sidecar Owner.

5. #5 Re: Looking for someone who can help register a bike in Hangzhou 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for the info. I will try and find some motorbike dealers in the area.

6. #6 Re: Looking for someone who can help register a bike in Hangzhou 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Does anyone have any specific contacts for people in Hangzhou that can get this done? I've asked 4 motorbike dealerships if they can help 过户 (transfer ownership)

They keep asking me where my 户口 (Hukou) is and I say my 居留许可 (Foreigner permit) is for all of Hangzhou, but I live in 拱墅区 (gongshu),the bike is registered in 临安 (linan)
    Then they just tell me that if my 户口 isn't 临安 then I can't do it.

But I know it IS possible somehow, because the current owner of the bike is a foreigner, and he doesn't live in 临安。 He bought the bike brand new from a dealership and they did all the paperwork and talked to the right people to get the bike registered in 临安. We tried asking the same dealership to do the same thing again, but they're unwilling unless we purchase a new bike from them.

My apartment complex's car park is also full of fancy motorbikes, so somehow it IS possible to get this done somehow.

7. #7 Re: Looking for someone who can help register a bike in Hangzhou 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Feels like I;m beating my head against a brick wall!
    I get given the contact details of numerous people and as soon as they find out a foreigner it's just 不可以给外国人过户
    The previous owner is a foreigner so there IS a way to do this SOMEHOW.

The last person I contacted I just asked "So how was it done last time". And they said "The law changed foreigners can't own bikes now" But I highly doubt they'd make up a law specifically banning foreigners from owning motorbikes. It's such a highly specific law since the foreigner motorbike community is so tiny in China. And foreigners can own cars.

If I really can;t 过户 whatever, I'll just keep the ownership on my friends name. He gave me a photocopy of his passport, so I can still do everything like buy insurance and get the 年审

8. #8 Re: Looking for someone who can help register a bike in Hangzhou 
    I have a bigger stick if you need it.lol

Sometimes you have many reasons to say bye bye China.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"