Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 greetings from marco polo 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi all
    Just found this great looking forum today and not a moment too soon. I am about to embark on the crazy notion of biking in China. Going to start the process for getting a licence today in Huzhou, waiting for the driving school guy or whatever to pick me up and take me to the licencing centre. Once that is done, I have my eyes set on a Benelli 502 TRK. Any comments will be appreciated. I will also keep you updated on the licencing process, as there seem to be a lot of confusion. Anyway, looking forward to chatting and connecting to you folks.

2. #2 Re: greetings from marco polo 
    Sounds great, good luck.
    No confusion from my end about obtaining a Chinses DL.
    The confusion is normally from the Chinese government end.
    TIC ...
    The logic free zone.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: greetings from marco polo 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Yeah, the logic free zone. After yesterday I am starting to question the wisdom of torturing myself with this.

So, yesterday I got a driving school agent or something to pick me up to start the DL process. On the way he realized that my residence registration is in my English name, so first had to go to the police to change this. I then told him, but I already have a car drivers licence, which seemed to make matters worse, as it was issued in Wuxi. We eventually got me a Chinese name as per my licence, then set about transferring my car drivers licence from Wuxi to Huzhou. Whole afternoon gone. Next phase, next week, is to do the medical check and then set a date for the theoretical exam. The agent said I shouldn't worry too much about this, because he will do the test for me, which will thus be a good time to claim ting bu dong. This is what a colleague also experienced and he got his DL by riding in a circle with a scooter about 20 others. Anyway, that process is going.

Phase two is to get a motorbike, and I am already eyeing one at the local dealer. Of course he is pushing me to buy, because from 1 August Huzhou will have an inner city bike ban, and I live right in the center of this area. I don't want to buy without a DL and will check it out, might have to move a few blocks away. Also, the dealer quoted 4300yuan for registration. Can this be right? Feels like shafting the laowai.

4. #4 Re: greetings from marco polo 
    If bike is NEW then work on about
    10℅ for tax and plate.
    So if new bike cost 40.000 RMB. Then all the other bits should be no more than 4000 RMB.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"