Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Where do you keep your bike? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    As I am about to part with a lot of hard earned money for a new bike, I was just wondering how do you keep your wheels safe. Is it acceptable to just park in the street, or do you use special safe parking, i.e. a lockup garage? How about basement parking lots, but they read front licence plates, which bikes don't have of course.

Will a thick chain and padlocks, tied to a tree or pillar be acceptable?

Another thought: Huzhou city centre will become bike unfriendly from next month. Will a bike parked in the street be at risk of getting confiscated? How do you guys in similar situations get around it?

I was also told it migt be a good idea to slip a bao an or shop owner a 100 once a month to keep an eye,

Any thoughts?

2. #2 Re: Where do you keep your bike? 
    C-Moto Regular
    I wouldn't be concerned of parked bike being confiscated, that would be against the law. but it could be stolen if you park it often at the same place on the street with just some locks and if it catches someone's nasty eye. be aware of thieves. don't know about Huzhou, but it's often happened in other big cities, especially in Chengdu.

basement parking often have sections for bikes, so it could be ok, but still locks needed. and some GPS alarm on expensive bike worth to consider. but its efficiency depend on the skills of guy who installs it.

as for the bike banned from downtown in Huzhou... well, you have to see yourself how things will turn. it depend on the local police attitude. plenty of cities banning bikes but still a lot of riders there in downtown.

3. #3 Re: Where do you keep your bike? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I live on a gated community with an underground parking garage. There is a gate onto the complex, and another gate into the underground garage.
    These use ANPR cameras to automatically raise the gate, but these don't work for bikes of course.

I spoke to my building manager before I bought my motorbike, he said "sure just park it with the bicycles" which I thought was weird

I thought I was going to have some issue with the security guards, but when I bought my bike back for the first time, the security guards were just laughing their heads off at this laowai on a motorbike. (I'm the only foreigner in my building so they all know me) They just lift up the barrier as soon as they see me coming.

Usually buy them some smokes every week too.

4. #4 Re: Where do you keep your bike? 
    When I first got here I used a motorcycle tent garage that I bought on Taobao. I drilled holes in the pavement and mounted it properly behind my building out of the way. I also got a sweet lock available for some select bikes called the roadlok. I also had an alarm and locked the tent shut. Did that with two bikes over the course of 2 years.

Now I rent a garage in my complex. I have 5 bikes now to keep under cover and the garage makes a great work area. I still use wheel locks on all my bikes in the garage.

My buddies mostly have parking garages at their buildings. Almost everyone has an assigned parking spot they rent or own.

Several of them chain their bikes to several workout weights.
    Some have drilled holes and put an anchor in their parking spaces.
    Some put anchors in outside and use a cover.
    Some have a service elevator and park their bikes in the hallways inside their buildings.
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

5. #5 Re: Where do you keep your bike? 
    All great stuff you are doing with your motorbike.
    But IMO if the Chinese asshole thieves want your bike its GONE.?
    Locks and chains as well.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #6 Re: Where do you keep your bike? 
    Any deterrent is a good deterrent! If they REALLY want it, it will be gone.

Most of these thieves are going to take the low hanging fruit though. Especially if you get a weird or abnormal lock they are not used to dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    All great stuff you are doing with your motorbike.
    But IMO if the Chinese asshole thieves want your bike its GONE.?
    Locks and chains as well.
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

7. #7 Re: Where do you keep your bike? 
    C-Moto Regular
    Underground parking with cameras if you can find one. pay monthly... its cheap in China.

8. #8 Re: Where do you keep your bike? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Hok View Post
    Underground parking with cameras if you can find one. pay monthly... its cheap in China.
    I found a place next to my apartment, under cover and under security cameras. Give the bao an a packet of smokes from time to time. The bike is chained to a pole with a pretty substantial lock, now also has a disc lock with motion sensor, and I keep a cover over it. Plenty of people know me by now and keep an eye out for me.