Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 How strict is annual inspection? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Apologies if it's been asked before, I did a search but couldn't find anything.

How strict is the annual inspection when it comes to modification of a motorbike? I know it's incredibly lax with the road-worthiness seeing as how my bike got through it's annual inspection without me realising the brake light doesn't work. Are they as equally lax on mods?

I want to just some basic stuff like stainless steel wrapped exhaust, some lower down handlebars and remove all the decals and stickers.

I paid 520rmb to a bike shop to get the inspection done for me. This is incredibly expensive, is that a "make sure it passes" fee? Is that why it passed with a non-working brake light?

2. #2 Re: How strict is annual inspection? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob bigheadsnake's Avatar
    What you mentioned is right, that is the Chinese trick to pass the inspection.

If you have some modification on exhaust or light, it's hard to pass, top and side cases and bumper sometimes are ok, if you have such mod and do not want to remove them and pass the inspection, the extra fee is required.

In BJ, the "pass fee" depends on the model of bikes, my JH600 takes 600rmb, and somebody said that a bmw r1200gs will take 1000, and a normal 125 peasant bike only 300rmb(basic 200rmb if you do the inspection yourself)
    Jialing 600 and CJ 650 Sidecar Owner.

3. #3 Re: How strict is annual inspection? 
    China is crazy, it depends on the location and even maybe the mood of the inspector.

When I was in the south inspections were strict. I had to make the bike match its original picture in my blue book.

Here in Changchun, I pull into a garage and he makes sure my lights are working and waves me on.
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone