Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 650NK Electrical Issue 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi, own a 2013 650nk in Australia that I ride every day rain or shine, and has never let me down, well until now. The bike has developed a strange and annoying electrical issue. When the bike is running and in gear the neutral light will glow dimly, when you turn the bike off in gear there is no glow. I have disconnected the neutral switch completely and the issue was still there. The bike also will now start in gear with the side stand down (proven using rear paddock stand), and also after about 2mins of running it throws o2 codes. I have been through the schematic in the service manual to the best of my ability and I cannot find anything other than there appears to be a 0.5v diffence from ecu to neutral switch compared to dash neutral light to neutral switch when i seperate the circuit which could be enough to cause the dim glow. So I spoke to my local dealer and he lent me 2 used ecu’s that has know idle issues and I tired them, unfortunately all the issues I have were replicated across both the borrowed ecu’s, yes I know I should of tried a new one but at $800+ AUD for a new one it was something I wasn’t willing to try and fail at. So after the ecu trial I sourced a used wiring harness from a later 2015 bike and installed that, guess what, no fix. I’ve proved it’s not the bikes voltage reg as it’s only dimly glowing when the bike is running by starting my bike with the volt reg disconnected on battery volts only and neutral light not on in gear then connecting another bike to my batter via jumper lead, start my bike then started other bike that was then charging my battery and what do you know the neutral light was on again in gear. It seems to happen when bike voltage is raised to 14v charging volts. I was so over it that I parked my bike up outside under cover for 2 weeks rather than park it in the shed as I normally do as a bit of punishment. Well I had to move the bike the other day and you wouldn’t believe it, but there was no neutral glow in gear, I’m like what is going on here.... decided to ride the bike to work this week and all was good for 5 days, until Friday afternoon and it went back to its old ways. I’m at my wits ends with this bike. Has anyone has a similar issue, or had this electrical gremlin and was able to fix it? Any help would be much appreciated. It’s a great looking and riding bike so I’m trying my hardest to fix this and get back on the road and start to trust it again like I used to as my daily rider.... thanks and HHHHEEEELLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP

C-Moto Guru
    Try to change the battery, and look of the wirring from battery to frame, maybe something is not properly fastened

3. #3 Re: 650NK Electrical Issue 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for your suggestion “beniamin82” but unfortunately I have already tried a new / different battery and all the earths have been checked because I have replaced the whole bikes wiring loom so they were all cleaned and tested. I’ve had a little play with the bike, and it seems the issue of the bike starting in gear with stand down can be made happen as soon as the ecu see’s a neutral indication by that I mean if I power on the bike in neutral then shift to a gear with the stand down, I am able to fire the bike over. But if I leave the bike in a gear, power on and try to start, it won’t turn over until I select neutral or earth the neutral wire at the switch to cause the N light to illuminate then shift into a gear I can start the bike in gear with stand down. It’s like the ecu holds the ok to start state. I’m at a loss to understand other than it’s pointing back to the ecu, which I have replicated the issues between 2 other ecu’s that we’re not know to have the problem.... if the bike wasn’t so dam good looking I would just walk away from it and part it out..........