So we all know that personally importing a bike into China is incredibly 麻烦 and next to impossible without some Guanxi.
But what about just riding a bike over the border instead of importing it?

I want to get hold of a Royal Enfield 500 Pegasus cheapest place to get one is Obviously India. So what about going to India, buying one, riding it all the way back to my home in China, then going to my local bike shop and paying them to register the bike for me. Should save some money and be an interesting trip too.

Of course there are a few questions, first I'll need to find out if the bike is road legal in China.
Then I am wondering if India will let me get a licence plate for the bike on a tourist visa, or if I'm going to have to ride the motorbike all through India and all through China without a licence plate. I know cars are able to go around plateless in China providing their brand new as the "I haven't got a plate yet" excuse seems to work. But maybe wont work for bikes.

Even if I am able to get an Indian licence plate, I wonder if they'll let me ride all the way through China with it.

So is this just a dumb hypothetical idea or not?