Its been a little while since behind the lens and bars so finally decided to make some time for a short trip with my new ride. This post is actually a mini-product review and trip report.

I recently acquired a QingQi QM200GY here in China and finally had a brief chance to see how this puppy performs when loaded 2up through various mountain terrains. Since this report, I'm also happy to be sponsored by QingQi China to test out one of their bikes in a long distance journey though South West China in the summer of 2008.

In the US, the bike discussed in this post is sold in supermotard version as the Qlink XF200 - in China the QM200GY(A). If you do not receive the 21” alloy wheel dirt version (v.B) of this bike in the US or Canada I would definitely write some importers and try to get a few as they are available in Europe.

Having come from the Jialing JH-150GY2 I can immediately say the shift from one bike to the next is favorable. With about 10,000 miles of adventure riding saddle time on a fully loaded 150 with camera gear, I've been itching for something with a little more get up and go in the mountains for passing at elevation and a usable top speed of over 60km/h. I am happy to say, it feels like the day has arrived.

- Qingqi QM200GY-2: Black is my personal bike and the red is sponsored by the factory -

My wife and I took the QingQi QM200GY through its paces on various road conditions from newly sealed highway, to road works and dirt trails. Here, I'll very briefly offer a few quick thoughts and first impressions of the QM200GY as a potential adventure travel and touring machine - then finally, a few pictures and comments on the place we visited for those also interested in other aspects of the experience.

If you're interested in long-distance moto-travel but never made the time for it, you could give yourself a kick start by getting your equipment together and packed then go for an overnight ride fully loaded. Riding a bike naked and loaded are two different experiences altogether - for both man and machine. Not only is the riding technique and attitude different but the extra weight will stress the bike's braking, acceleration and suspension - all of which are important for safe, fun and enjoyable riding.

In the braking dept, the bike is helped along by a front disk rear drum set-up which is more than competent. Upfront, a stock braided stainless steel line runs from the master brake cylinder, loops over the gauges then back down the left fork to the caliper below. While this front brake set-up looks fancy and probably does save from bending the line, it also obscures the already small instrument panel dials which house both a speedo and much appreciated tachometer.

- Front brake is firm and great right out of the box -

The lever feel and response is firm and braking modulation becomes easier as the pads seat into the new wave-style rotors which, after only about 1000kms, show no signs of warping and provide strong positive braking. The grips are a bit small though and will need to be changed if you've got big hands. The standard drum style back stopper will lock the rear wheel with ease but lacks the response and feedback of a properly designed disc system.

- Rear drum brake is plenty of power for a 200 but lacks lever response -

I found out the hard way in 2003 how important good suspension is in making your ride enjoyable and safe. Shocks that are too soft and constantly bottom out are not only hard on your ass but also everything on your bike including the frame. The two of us traveled on the 200GY with completely stock settings both front and rear. For two people a slight adjustment of the spring pre-load on the rear mono-shock would have inspired more confidence on uneven surfaces. Up front, I usually recommend heavier or more aggressive riders stick a few washers/spacers underneath the fork-cap to stiffen up the front springs/legs a bit. As a solo rider of 180-190lbs and 6'1" the suspension is quite comfortable "out of the box" and well suited to short distance commuting or bumming around on trails.

- Front wheel speedo pick-up -

Although the exhaust note is uninspiring, on trails the QM200GY is a blast thanks to the help of the very smooth Suzuki DR200 powerplant and frame at the bike's heart. The Jialing JH150GY2 motor was harsh and buzzy by comparison keeping in mind that a smaller 150 has to be worked much harder. This clean little DR200 engine produces it's peak power at 7000rpm and pulls strong all the way from 2.5-3k. Shifting through the gears to 5th, you're going about 83kph indicated (~80kph/GPS) at a nice 6k/rpm. I'm sure the bike could be pushed to over 100kph (~64mph) at the top of it's 8000+red line but, since the bike is still breaking in I'll save that for a later experience.

- Real Mikuni Carbs and "DR200" engine! -

If 80kph isn't fast enough for you then the bikes 520chain/sprockets will probably allow a host of ratio options to raise the top speed for pavement riders looking to capitalize on the power at the bottom end of the engine. Coming from a 150cc, on dirt trails the low end of the DR200 engine nicely gets you over and through obstacles as well as up steep hills. The power of the engine is aided by another wonderful feature of the 200GY, it’s low weight. At only 121kg (~290Lbs) the 11.5kw (15hp) boasts and almost 30% increase in power over the standard Chinese 150 engines and with a few kgs less dry weight to boot thanks to it’s minimal plastics and frame.

Aesthetically, despite the effort made to make the QM200GY a modern sporty looking bike, the simple plastics (a curse and a blessing at the same time) which photograph well become apparently thinner in the flesh but are still thicker than most Chinese bikes. Color is in the plastic on the off-road version so no need to worry about paint being left on the trails.

Although the US version should be different, the saddle is stiff and narrow at the front with a hard edge off both sides which puts a good amount of irritating pressure on the pelvis bones and can, after a few hours, make certain treasured places fall asleep. The stylish front fender with fancy wing tips at the nose are too short and in rain not only spray water back and up into your face but a constant stream collects at the very tips of the small wings and trails straight to your pants at speed.

- Front KTM like fenders need some modifications to be useful in the wet -

I will definitely be trying to either modify or replace the fender before doing any extended riding. These niggles are annoying, but aren’t enough to detract from the overall impression of the bike. Even though the plastics are quite sparse from the back tiny-tail light (clean it often) the ample 10.6ltr (2.8gal) metal tank will happily putter two people over 300kms of “spirited” riding before needing to be topped up again.

The power to pass trucks and busses on inclines marks the move from 150 to 200cc and is not only more fun but safer as well. By the end of the quick 500km two day jaunt, the Mrs and I were both pleased at the upgrade from the 150 Jialing who, 20,000kms later, still remains a reliable performer through a strict regiment of maintenance.

While many more kms will be put on this QingQi in the next year over a wide range of terrains and altitudes, I think we may have found a solid economical adventure performer as well as a zippy, easy to handle and fun commuter coming out of China. As excited as I am about the new bike’s potential I still remain a hair skeptical. So far, it’s all the fun of a DR200 for half the cost and more stylish package. Is there a catch? Time will tell.

----------------------------

The destination is ShangMeng, a small Tibetan village in the mountains of SW China boasting eco-tourism and other guided outdoors activities. I had been to this place three years before and it goes without saying that many thing have changed in the tide of tourism.

Although some of these changes may be undesirable for those who appreciate some quiet and solitude, some benefits can be found. The roads in the remote mountain valleys of Sichuan, comprised of the very eastern extent of the Tibetan Plateau, are becoming better designed, paved and marked - making independent travel though these parts slightly easier.

Three years ago the road into the village shown here was mostly dirt and gravel. Now with the road, tourism brings an upswelling of youth hostils and small guest houses, many of which are converted homes.

The search for accommodation led us to a small guest house which frequently hosts one of the many outdoor hiking and camping excursions now based in the village. Places to stay are relatively easy to spot in Tibetan regions as they often hang colorful flags from and across their roof s.

Going out for a walk we quickly made friends with a local of the four legged kind who showed us around the river for a while.

Further down river, a local elder - still hard at work - carries a bunch of sticks across an old cable suspension wooden plank bridge which bounces and sway like walking on a balloon.

Her ultimate destination is to place her large bunch of sticks which are individually bound by, smaller sticks, in to a larger pile of stick-bunches. These will later be sold as kindling for firewood or craft making.

Firewood is-a-plenty here and it was nice to walk down a pollution free street with the smell of fresh cut pine in the air.

Just like anywhere else, dudes cut wood to sell as firewood which, at 3000m/asl could be needed year round.

Being winter, the nights in these mountains regularly drops below freezing usually causing light morning flurries with clear mid-days. Back at the guest house some local ladies in their bright and colorful head dresses had started their own fire to talk and work on stitching a new pair of shoes.

In the easy-ness of these small places it's nice to enjoy the quietness and new surroundings. Unfortunately at midnight a couple vans pulled in with local tourists in all new outdoor gear ready to tackle the wilds. They talked and shouted loudly until 3am right outside our window where the bike was parked. Not used to sleeping in the cold at high altitude, with no heat and thin windows the room gets cold at night in the mountains. Staying warm was already hard enough, good sleep would be a luxury.

Whelp, Happy New years and ride em' if you got em' folks! Soon this will all disappear! ;)

CC