Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Paperwork for crossing the border 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hope anyone with experience can give a few pointers. I am in the early stages of planning a trip of a lifetime from China to Western Europe.
    My questions are?
    - What documentation is required to leave China with a Chinese registered bike, in my name?
    - Should documents be translated into another language, i.e. English, Russian, etc.
    - I only have a Chinese motorbike licence. Will this be a problem, since an International Driving Permit might be unobtainable. And then the translation question again.
    - What happens when my bike's licence expire when I am on the road, which is highly likely? Can I renew it before the trip?

Any other advice? I am planning for possibly May 2019, probably May/June 2020 departure from Taihu area in Zhejiang province, crossing China to Kashgar and into Kazakhstan. Then through Kazakhstan, into Russia, turning south through Georgia into Turkey. From there westwards towards Portugal. Company welcome
    Benelli TRK502X

2. #2 Re: Paperwork for crossing the border 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    here is my old thread.
    you might find some useful info there. If you have any more questions here post here. I will try to answer according to my experience

3. #3 Re: Paperwork for crossing the border 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    here is my old thread.
    you might find some useful info there. If you have any more questions here post here. I will try to answer according to my experience
    Thanks Modron, some useful information indeed. Did you do the trip? Would like to read the trip report.

So looks like the usual bike docs are all I need, as well as my C1 licence translated. I am talking to people who do this for Chinese who travel abroad. I will also look into translating the bike licence. No Carnet needed, as I won't be doing Mongolia. Also being a South African, I don't need a visa for Russia or Georgia. Will focus on Kazakhstan and can always hang around Georgia for a while to sort out Turkish visa, which is an e-visa.

Any suggestions for a route through Kazakhstan that will get me to Georgia?
    Benelli TRK502X

4. #4 Re: Paperwork for crossing the border 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hi,

Im not sure whether youll be able to get to Europe without international licence. My bike broke down in Georgia so I doidnt have a chance to check but it should be fine. As long as you have a bike licence. From what i know C1 is just for cars and youd need C1E but I might be wrong.

Get translated as many documents as possible

I crossed into Kyrgyzstan and it was easy. Took about 3h and this includes 2h lunch brake for the border guards.
    If I were you Id consider a route through the stans, its more common but it takes you through a variety of landscapes and cultures. Both Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan are unbelievable, yet completely different. I think you will miss out going through Kazakhstan. Also, some folks Ive met on the road said its boring riding there, very monotonous.

p.s. come to Taizhou for a beer sometime

5. #5 Re: Paperwork for crossing the border 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi - I'm in the middle of making plans for a similar ride and I have similar questions about what kind of paperwork is needed and more importantly - where and how to get it.

I only have a Chinese DL as well - and so cannot use this to get a International Driver's License... From what I understand it's an absolute must have for travelling internationally - at least legally - and will be impossible to get insurance without it.

I'm planning to either head to Korea or India during the Spring Festival break to get a driver's license there and use this to get my International license. A WeChat article going around was saying that Jeju Do - the Korean holiday island - is popular with Chinese tourists travelling there specifically to get a DL since it was easier and cheaper than getting it on the mainland.

For me right now the difficulty is getting an ATA. I've found this website - http://atachina.org/ - but after registering and trying to apply online I find it will only accept Chinese ID (and other documents I don't have). My research says the ATA is needed to get a Chinese registered bike out - and importantly - back in to China.

Is there anyone who knows of any agents who can do this - or even explain what the process is?

There is also the Carnet en Passages en Douane - not issued by China - but apparently you can get them from other countries and it's the same
    https://www.fia.com/international-cpd-network

I'll update this as I go - but if anyone's already done this successfully I'd love to hear your advice.

Cheers

6. #6 Re: Paperwork for crossing the border 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I could not get the ATA online. They told me to go to a city close to the border where I was planing to cross and apply there. There will be some agencies to help you out too.
    For me the problem was that via email the openly told me that id have to pay 100% deposit (if I remember correctly) instead normal 40% only cos Im foreign. I thought that when they can so easily manipulate the rules they might as easily not give me the deposit back when back so I decided not to go to Mongolia.
    One member here did it thios way and payed normal deposit. His fellow Chinese riders helped him out tho

As for the driving licence, add me on wechat (jaro11111) I have a contact who can help you do your international licence in the Philippines. I didnt do it through him but I know a guy who did and it went smoothly