Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Biking in Sichuan as an offer, 
    C-Moto Guru
    I've thought for some time about getting a second bike in CHina. I'd use it as a"buddy bike". Specifically for riding with other China bikers who may not be situated close to mountains and other gorgeous scenery. More specifically, in Sichuan.

To be accountable to the community here, I should state my goal of getting another legally plated dirt bike stationed in Sichuan in 2019.

I wanted to offer other bikers the chance to have a ride as cool as this one. http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...-yushu-Qinghai

At first, it would just be like this... you pay for the petrol you used in the bike and if you break it, you fix it. Fair, I think.

I lived in Shanghai for three years and got into biking whilst living there. I was made aware of the dearth of opportunities in China just to go to a beautiful place (China has many, but they are sometimes remote from where most people choose to live) and pick up a bike to use/rent.

So, let me know what you think.

Could take people on say a three day loop of mountains from Chengu, or further afield... I'll serve as tour guide. let me know.I hope to be exploring the region more this year myself, so a riding partner for me, and a dirt cheap tour for you and no hassle shipping your bigger, more expensive bike across China. Also, if anyone is in Chengdu and knows of someone selling an X2 which is in good shape, also let me know. To save me from trawling second hand marketys or XianYU.

2. #2 Re: Biking in Sichuan as an offer, 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Sign me up!
    I was thinking of sending my bike to sichuan/yunnan this year anyway.
    pretty cool idea you had

3. #3 Re: Biking in Sichuan as an offer, 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Excellent plan... Hope it works out. Make sure though you have the bike insured and inspection up to date... and any rider using your bike has a copy of your passport and visa page, so that if in the unfortunate event of a ding, they can at least supply the Traffic PSB with these document copies otherwise you may be called to be present for any determination etc. This is the unfortunate aspect of how vehicle ownership works... but as always TIC... what applies in one place at any given time in any given situation may differ... to another.
    Good luck though...

Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

4. #4 Re: Biking in Sichuan as an offer, 
    i'm living in Chongqing currently and hoping to do some riding in your direction. I'd like to connect for a few day tour once the weather gets better; and I get a bike...

5. #5 Re: Biking in Sichuan as an offer, 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    Sign me up!
    I was thinking of sending my bike to sichuan/yunnan this year anyway.
    pretty cool idea you had
    Sounds cool. My bike is in Chengdu atm. It needs taking to Beijing for the two yearly inspection. Hmmm. Other things is I'm in the U.K. I'm thinking to get to China in Spring. Problem being that I won't have a residence permit, so won't , as far as I can tell be buying and registering a second bike for this Summer.

We'll see.

Same comment to GSR, and good luck on the bike purchase. I have another rider (from tjhis forum actually) who wants to come riding to "川西“。

6. #6 Re: Biking in Sichuan as an offer, 
    I'm all set to get a bike, have the drivers license etc. Just have to decide on the bike. Is there an issue I'm unaware of regarding needing a residence permit to buy a bike? Assuming there is not a hang up that I, and several Chinese relatives who claim there is no problem, I expect to have a bike soon. A spring ride in the mountains is definitely in my plans and it would be great to have someone to ride with.

7. #7 Re: Biking in Sichuan as an offer, 
    C-Moto Regular
    Metalmonkey, you can get your bike inspection done in Chengdu too. You'll just need one special letter, called somehow "power of authority" from Beijing traffic police.

Also you'll need valid insurance, which may not be easy to get in Chengdu, as bike have Beijing plates, but you may ask someone to buy insurance for you in Beijing, you don't need bring bike there.

With letter "power of authority" and valid insurance you can get your annual check-up done in other provinces.

I did this last autumn to my Shanghai plated bike in Qinghai without any troubles.

Since autumn 2018 you don't need letter of authority for cars, but for motorcycles still needed.

Thanks for this interesting input! 👍

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

9. #9 Re: Biking in Sichuan as an offer, 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by a_steel View Post
    Metalmonkey, you can get your bike inspection done in Chengdu too. You'll just need one special letter, called somehow "power of authority" from Beijing traffic police.

Also you'll need valid insurance, which may not be easy to get in Chengdu, as bike have Beijing plates, but you may ask someone to buy insurance for you in Beijing, you don't need bring bike there.

With letter "power of authority" and valid insurance you can get your annual check-up done in other provinces.

I did this last autumn to my Shanghai plated bike in Qinghai without any troubles.

Since autumn 2018 you don't need letter of authority for cars, but for motorcycles still needed.
    That is interestingAnd useful, thankyou.
    I'm still in the U.K atm. I came back due to tourist visa, then ended up staying Christmas. On the upside, I got my U.K. Motorcycle license.
    I put this post up thinking that it will force my hand. Being accountable to the other forum members well MAKE me do this. I think it's a cool idea. Living in Sichuan and having two bikes. Simple, right?
    NOW for my barriers. I think they include money or the plating system in China.(how to own two legal bikes in my name preferably and ride them in Sichuan). My own bike needs its two year service.
    My possible solution to this is to become a student in Chengdu. Whilst resident there, I can plate at least one bike. Don't know I'd anyone knows how many motorcycles you can have under your name in China... Or eve Iff you can get a plate on a student visa with residence permit.

I don't want this to be a mea culpa.. Like explaining how I can't get my(quite simple) dream together...
    I've already done a lot to achieve my dream off riding a motorcycle in China. I taught myself to ride a bike in yunnan, got? Own bike(with some finangling re the plate) I rode 9,000 km in that bike. I rebuilt the engine, having not done it before. I did sidecar tours in Shanghai.. Learnt to ride a sidecar in the process. I joined (somehow) a test ride of the rx3s and rx4 in southern China for ten days. The thing is, I want to continue this. There's loads more to explore. I wanna do it on my own terms. Is it worth the sacrifice of 6-12 months as a student to get bikes plated?
    I was inspired by Hendrik at tibetmoto.de in Dali. How he runs a motorcycle business in China. Awesome. That's gotta be the end game. The ideal.

Hmm..I have been inspired by several people I met living it in Sichuan who have bikes. A few run hostels(check out 'Dzachusama' hostel in Ganzi town), another studies.

Right now though, I'm finding it hard to see me back in China this summer.

10. #10 Re: Biking in Sichuan as an offer, 
    C-Moto Regular
    get married with Chinese, lol :D you wanna settle in Sichuan? good, girls there are hot :D

about owning bikes, I guess it's not a problem to have two or more bikes on your name in China. who cares?

but you should keep in mind few moments:
    - motorcycle span life in China is limited to 13 years, after this period motorcycle should be scrapped. and you wouldn't be able to sell it, if motorcycle is 12 years old
    - technical checking for new motorcycles should be performed every 2 years... only for first 4 years. 4 and more years old motorcycles should be checked on yearly basis
    - if you'll miss checking, you'll be fined not only by money, also by points of your Chinese DL.

I highly recommend you to have your motorcycles on your name (or your close friend/relative). then you wouldn't have problems to get insurance, checking and other procedures done.

where did you left your bike in Chengdu? at Tako's place? then he would be able to sort out paperwork for you, just get it done in time. and ask ShuBen to help you with insurance and authority letter.