Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Licence plate Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello Everyone! I'm writing here and I hope it's the right place! I live in Shanghai. About 2 months ago I bought an electric motorcycle specifically I bought Super Soco Tc (I'll share the link for a better understanding: http://www.supersoco.eu/en/home-tc/ ). After my purchase I went to the traffic police station and I asked them how I can get a licence plate for it. They answered that it's very hard to get it and they only grant licence plates for e-bikes. Then I wrote the seller if he has some ideas, unfortunately he didn't.
    Does someone know the process to register and get the licence plate for this motorcycle in Shanghai?

2. #2 Re: Licence plate Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob bigheadsnake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danielefissa View Post
    Hello Everyone! I'm writing here and I hope it's the right place! I live in Shanghai. About 2 months ago I bought an electric motorcycle specifically I bought Super Soco Tc (I'll share the link for a better understanding: http://www.supersoco.eu/en/home-tc/ ). After my purchase I went to the traffic police station and I asked them how I can get a licence plate for it. They answered that it's very hard to get it and they only grant licence plates for e-bikes. Then I wrote the seller if he has some ideas, unfortunately he didn't.
    Does someone know the process to register and get the licence plate for this motorcycle in Shanghai?
    Unfortunately the e-bike in China is not fully legal, generally in China the e-bikes do not require any licences and plates, just ride it. However, each city (even in the same province) has its own policy of e-bikes, so only a guy familiar with Shanghai could help you. Hoping here is guy who could answer it.
    Jialing 600 and CJ 650 Sidecar Owner.

3. #3 Re: Licence plate Shanghai 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Do you have all the required documents from the manufacturer? Also a legal fapiao? The bike should be issued with a SH issued fapiao from the get go. However, that being said, if the bike has a larger than normal electric motor output ~400w give or take, it might be that there are restrictions on anything with a larger electric motor output than that. This is quite common in most parts of China, however with the rapid early adoption of electric vehicles this situation is changing rapidly, so who knows.
    You'll likely need a good dose of perseverance and make connections with local Ch!nese electric riders in a club or such like to get abreast of the current legalities.
    Just because you can buy and own it, doesn't mean it's legal...
    With all things... TIC
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso