Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Gillette goes full SJW, attacks white men 
    C-Moto Noob
    Check out this video from Gillette - https://youtu.be/koPmuEyP3a0

White men are rapist, over sexualized bullies, and must be stopped according to Gillette.

Why would Gillette do this?

2. #2 Re: Gillette goes full SJW, attacks white men 
    C-Moto Guru
    I almost never used any of their products, so now I'll just make absolutely sure that I don't. Plus, any other P&G product for that matter.

What's funny, or rather "funny", is if we dare to imagine what would have happened if such ad portrayed some "other people" as the bad guys. Every SJW would have gone even more mental. But because it's (white) men that are bad, everyone is at most, "Meh, whatever...". Talk about inequalities, huh?

3. #3 Re: Gillette goes full SJW, attacks white men 
    So let's get this straight. Because P&G believes men should be decent and stop making excuses for bad behavior the first two posters are offended! Please do explain how an ad which depicts real men standing up against bad behavior is so offensive to you? A real man can only surmise that it is your type of behavior which is being challenged. I would suggest paying attention to the commercial, sounds like you could learn a lot from it. I also note that the two first posters are obviously racists as they take offense to the White males being portrayed in the commercial, but not the men of other races being portrayed in the same manner. I'm new to this site because of an interest in motorcycling in China. I would not expect to see this type of forum. Hopefully this is not indicative of the membership and I apologise to all the other members but I do not feel that these abhorrent posts should not be called out.

4. #4 Re: Gillette goes full SJW, attacks white men 
    C-Moto Guru
    I thought generalizations are a bad thing, but I guess I was wrong...

5. #5 Re: Gillette goes full SJW, attacks white men 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    What always gets me about responses like the ones offered by NoScope and Krasi - is I can never make sense of what it is you're upset about?

Like GSR I see ads like this as trying to be progressive and locating a product (specifically for men) in a updated idea of masculinity. The net effect being people doing something better that it had been done in the past. Isn't that a good thing?

What are you trying to defend exactly?

6. #6 Re: Gillette goes full SJW, attacks white men 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ngali View Post
    What are you trying to defend exactly?
    Myself! One way to interpret the "message" from this ad is that (almost) all men are bad and only few are the good exceptions. After all, if there weren't many bad guys, why would there be a need for such ad? I know I'm from the good ones, but who am I to judge? The ad talks about "men" in general - no names, no identities, no nothing. Just men and boys. I'm a man, ergo statistically it's more probable to be bad until proven otherwise.

Like I said, let's try to turn the tables. Let's make an ad that promotes "progressive" and "updated idea" for femininity. For example, the message could be "don't be manipulative and passive-aggressive" and "don't use crying as means to get what you want". Are these stereotypical assumptions related more with women than with men? Yes, they are. Are there women who are masters of gossip, manipulation and crying at will? Oh, yes, there are. Is it fair to accuse women in general of being manipulative crybabies? Definitely not. If there was such ad, would it create rumble and thunder all the way to the sky? You bet it would.

So, how come one is OK and viewed as "progressive", and the other is considered as sexist?

7. #7 Re: Gillette goes full SJW, attacks white men 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ok - well - personally I find that an odd response....

Before we get into it - let's just clarify something....The ad's message is for men not be agressive or violent and not to condone behaviour that promotes it. Right? Which doesn't seem at all a controversial stance to take.

To your issues with this - firstly - not every ad will be directed at you even if you fit the demographic. You say you're one of the good guys (literal on the guy). Great. Then this ad isn't adressed at you - and isn't talking about you. It's not like PSAs are slurring whole slews of society by pointing out the misbheaviour of some. Anti Drink and Drive ads aren't accusing everyone who drives a vehicle or drinks a beer of being an irresponsible drunkard are they?

It seems your concern here is that all men are unfairly slammed by the implication... I don't think that's true.

If there is a message to all men vibe here it's down to the wider societal message of not condoning the behaviour that leads to bigger problems with agression and violence. Don't let your kids bully each other, don't hassle girls you don't know on the streets....

In terms of comparisons - yeh - you have a point that the misbehaviour of women is rarely spoken about in the same way (unless you're Bill Burr) but maybe that's because the extreme end result of passive agression and manipulative crying doesn't compare to what happens with actual agression and physical violence.

Dealing with a psycho bitch is annoying and painful - but much easier for a guy to deal with compared to a woman dealing with sexual assault or domestic abuse.

Be real about it... Guys - generally are physically stronger, more aggressive and historically prone to using both to get what they want. We menfolk have the power. This ad says that power means we also have some responsibility.

I agree.

Let's return to bikes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC