I'm looking for an ADV bike with at least some off-road capabilities. Since it will primarily be on paved roads, my bias is in that direction. Love the dual purpose bikes, but not for any long distance. I'd love to hear of any models I've yet to discovery and/or opinions on the bikes in this category. As a frame of reference on where my tastes lie my last motorcycles in the US included a Ducati Multistrada and a KTM 530 exc. My dream bike here might be a KTM 690 enduro, but alas that seems to be a pipe dream and I do like the idea of trying out a Chinese motorcycle.
Below is a summary of what I have looked at so far.
Colove KY500X. This is the front runner for what I am looking. The spoked wheels (tubeless tires) and seemingly capable suspension (by KYB) give it more potential for off road, or at least rougher roads. Its got a 471cc motor from Loncin which I believe is a copy of the capable Honda CB500 motor. It makes 50hp and weights in at 178 kg. The price I was quoted was 37800 ¥ and 4600 ¥ for the luggage.
Zongshen RX3S (Zs400GY-2) 380cc twin cylinder, 36hp, 185kg.While I’ve seen pictures with spoked wheels the models I have found all have cast wheels. The front is a 19.” I failed to take good notes when talking to a sales person but I think he quoted me a 32880 ¥ price. The bike did have a full set of luggage so not a bad price.
Zongshen RX4 – I cannot find this model in any of the Zongshen shops I have been to. It is a 450cc single with 43.5hp and weighing 450lbs. It appears to come with full luggage. I have no information on the price or the wheel set. My language difficulties have made it difficult to learn anything from the dealerships.
Zontes 310 ADV. For the money 25800¥ this bike is a front runner. With 34hp and a weight of 159kg the power to weight ratio is not bad. Overall it is a good looking motorcycle. The motorcycle has a lot of features, keyless operation handlebar adjusted windscreen and seat… The wheels are cast 17” with no indication of spoked wheels being an option. The price makes this very attractive but the limited power and impression of little off-road capability are drawbacks.
Loncin DS8; 650cc, 50hp, 198kg (435 lbs). I saw one of these, used, on a showroom floor. My initial impression was not good and lacking time that day I did not attempt to get information on the motorcycle. What I have learned since makes the bike sound pretty good. The model I saw had cast 17” (?) wheels. I’d like to get more information on this motorcycle.
CF Moto 650MT. A good looking motorcycle with good reviews internationally. The 650 twin reports to have 52kW or 70hp. Its reported weight is 468. The styling and finish are among the best I have seen in China. It appears to only come with cast wheels, 17” front and rear. The price is 43900 ¥.
Motrac MG 500. I have had no luck finding this model anywhere in Chongqing. The only information I found was from a member on this site. He listed the specs as: 32800 ¥ or 38800 ¥ with full luggage. Reported power is 35 kW or 47HP. I have had no luck finding additional information like the weight and wheels it has.
Benelli 502 TRK. Another very good looking motorcycle. 499cc engine listed at 47hp with a weight of 235kg. While most pictures I saw on the web showed 17” cast wheels the model in the dealer showroom had spoked wheels with a 19” front. To me it maybe the best looking Chinese ADV bike, right there with the CF Moto. I was quoted a price of 44800 ¥. The display model had full luggage but I failed to confirm it that was included in the price. Unfortunately the reviews of this motorcycle have not been kind. To quote one reviewer: “The TRK has the weight of Butterbean and the punching power of a small dog.” He was equally unkind to the brakes and suspension.
I know there are lot of models I have not mentioned. The smaller ones such as 250cc are just to small for my liking on longer distances. Most of the more endure slanted models are too uncomfortable on long rides and are typically not great on pavement.
Anyone with opinions along this line? Reviews of these bikes or similar? Knowledge of models I have missed?