Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Opinions and suggestions on Adventure style motorcycles 
    I don't know about that, I was thinking about the Erzberg Rodeo if I could get a few kinks worked out (the biggest being skill level) I am considering the CF Moto. It was the first bike I found that I seriously considered. Still haven't ruled it out but the CoLove 500 has a little edge with lighter weight (albeit with less power), spoked 19" wheels and the KYB suspension. It just looked a little more dirt road worthy. The almost 6000 RMB lower price is also a factor.

Wouldn't it be great to see a multi bike comparison like the magazines in the West do, or used to do.

For reason of getting a more mature bike with certain experience I would spend more money on the CFmoto even the CoLove looks tempting.
    For a certain time we also saw some more Info's from Motrac but it seems getting silent again. Will they disappear or disappeared already? How about parts supply then, .... and why that should not happen to CoLove....
    I prefer : Play safe

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

3. #13 Re: Opinions and suggestions on Adventure style motorcycles 
    ShuBen, That's a good point. I have thought of that at least a little. Given the CoLove has a Loncin motor that appears to have been around for some time I'd hope motor parts would be available. The bike uses Bosch fuel injection so that should be okay. KYB suspension means fairly universally available parts. It appears the bike is assembled by Jialing in Chongqing where I'm currently staying/living(?) CF Moto, SWM and Benelli definitely seem the best Chinese manufacturers currently set up for the international market. I just have an internal liking for a company willing to step outside the current pseudo-adventure bike mold, and actually use design and parts that, on paper at least, make the bike potentially what I consider a real adventure bike. Your advice is solid, my internal rational, maybe not so much. I'm off now to find the SWM dealer, your prior posts have peaked my interest. Your opinions and advice, even if I'm not the best at following them, are much appreciated.

Send me a PM with your wechat ID and i forward you my SWM contacts in ChongQing.

;-) .... of course we would be also interested in a review of the 500cc CoLove ... ;-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

5. #15 Re: Opinions and suggestions on Adventure style motorcycles 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Did you go to a SWM dealer? Did they maybe have any of those new scrambler bikes? I'm not sure whether they are available in China.

Look at this. There is a wee problem with that Colove bikes and the company admitted it. That's a first here

http://www.newmotor.com.cn/html/cjdt/99417.html

6. #16 Re: Opinions and suggestions on Adventure style motorcycles 
    Modron,
    I did go to the Shinray/SWM dealership. They did have 2-3 scramblers on the floor. I thought I took pictures but can not find them so I guess I didn't. I was short on time and got distracted trying to get information on the 500 or 650 SMW so I didn't spend much time looking at the scramblers. I'm not positive they were SWMs (Is there a Shinray branded scrambler?)
    Thanks for the heads up on the Colove recall (I assume that the Excelle, CoLove, and another brand I can't recall right now are all the same factory). i actually don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. As the article pointed out nearly every manufacturer/model has some recall issues. The fact that Excelle/CoLove actually did a recall rather than blame the customer or ignore it seems like a good thing.
    I'm still leaning toward the 500x, though I have to admit those scramblers are looking good.

7. #17 Re: Opinions and suggestions on Adventure style motorcycles 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    It's definitely a good thing that they informed people about that problem. Just very unusual in China.

I asked around about those scramblers. Unavailable in China

8. #18 Re: Opinions and suggestions on Adventure style motorcycles 
    Well guys I pulled the trigger on a CoLove 500x today. Waited until too close to the Spring festival so can't get the insurance and plates for 7-10 days but I get the motorcycle tomorrow. Looks like no ride report for at least a week, which gives me time to gear up. The very short test ride I did felt good, seat feels lower than I expected and it does not feel light, but no adventure bike I've been on does at slow speeds. Build quality and feel are nowhere near my Ducati back in the US, but at 1/4 the price no surprise there. It does have the KYB suspension and is adjustable. The wheels are spoked tubeless, BMW style. If the bike handles the rough roads and dirt I'll be a happy camper. The owner put me down for a owners group ? and mentioned they have a ride to Tibet planned in June. If I can get in on that, which I think he said was possible, that alone would be a big bonus.

9. #19 Re: Opinions and suggestions on Adventure style motorcycles 
    Congrats for being a guinea piggy for that bike!
    Now its on you to deliver pics, critics and description to advise others.
    The stage is yours .....
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

10. #20 Re: Opinions and suggestions on Adventure style motorcycles 
    Hopefully it will be good news on the new bike. Going to be about a week before I can ride as the New Year has shut down getting the plates and insurance until then. I'll post information and a review(s) once I get out to ride.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast