Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Opinions and suggestions on Adventure style motorcycles 
    I'm looking for an ADV bike with at least some off-road capabilities. Since it will primarily be on paved roads, my bias is in that direction. Love the dual purpose bikes, but not for any long distance. I'd love to hear of any models I've yet to discovery and/or opinions on the bikes in this category. As a frame of reference on where my tastes lie my last motorcycles in the US included a Ducati Multistrada and a KTM 530 exc. My dream bike here might be a KTM 690 enduro, but alas that seems to be a pipe dream and I do like the idea of trying out a Chinese motorcycle.
    Below is a summary of what I have looked at so far.
    Colove KY500X. This is the front runner for what I am looking. The spoked wheels (tubeless tires) and seemingly capable suspension (by KYB) give it more potential for off road, or at least rougher roads. Its got a 471cc motor from Loncin which I believe is a copy of the capable Honda CB500 motor. It makes 50hp and weights in at 178 kg. The price I was quoted was 37800 ¥ and 4600 ¥ for the luggage.
    Zongshen RX3S (Zs400GY-2) 380cc twin cylinder, 36hp, 185kg.While I’ve seen pictures with spoked wheels the models I have found all have cast wheels. The front is a 19.” I failed to take good notes when talking to a sales person but I think he quoted me a 32880 ¥ price. The bike did have a full set of luggage so not a bad price.
    Zongshen RX4 – I cannot find this model in any of the Zongshen shops I have been to. It is a 450cc single with 43.5hp and weighing 450lbs. It appears to come with full luggage. I have no information on the price or the wheel set. My language difficulties have made it difficult to learn anything from the dealerships.
    Zontes 310 ADV. For the money 25800¥ this bike is a front runner. With 34hp and a weight of 159kg the power to weight ratio is not bad. Overall it is a good looking motorcycle. The motorcycle has a lot of features, keyless operation handlebar adjusted windscreen and seat… The wheels are cast 17” with no indication of spoked wheels being an option. The price makes this very attractive but the limited power and impression of little off-road capability are drawbacks.
    Loncin DS8; 650cc, 50hp, 198kg (435 lbs). I saw one of these, used, on a showroom floor. My initial impression was not good and lacking time that day I did not attempt to get information on the motorcycle. What I have learned since makes the bike sound pretty good. The model I saw had cast 17” (?) wheels. I’d like to get more information on this motorcycle.
    CF Moto 650MT. A good looking motorcycle with good reviews internationally. The 650 twin reports to have 52kW or 70hp. Its reported weight is 468. The styling and finish are among the best I have seen in China. It appears to only come with cast wheels, 17” front and rear. The price is 43900 ¥.
    Motrac MG 500. I have had no luck finding this model anywhere in Chongqing. The only information I found was from a member on this site. He listed the specs as: 32800 ¥ or 38800 ¥ with full luggage. Reported power is 35 kW or 47HP. I have had no luck finding additional information like the weight and wheels it has.
    Benelli 502 TRK. Another very good looking motorcycle. 499cc engine listed at 47hp with a weight of 235kg. While most pictures I saw on the web showed 17” cast wheels the model in the dealer showroom had spoked wheels with a 19” front. To me it maybe the best looking Chinese ADV bike, right there with the CF Moto. I was quoted a price of 44800 ¥. The display model had full luggage but I failed to confirm it that was included in the price. Unfortunately the reviews of this motorcycle have not been kind. To quote one reviewer: “The TRK has the weight of Butterbean and the punching power of a small dog.” He was equally unkind to the brakes and suspension.
    I know there are lot of models I have not mentioned. The smaller ones such as 250cc are just to small for my liking on longer distances. Most of the more endure slanted models are too uncomfortable on long rides and are typically not great on pavement.
    Anyone with opinions along this line? Reviews of these bikes or similar? Knowledge of models I have missed?

2. #2 Re: Opinions and suggestions on Adventure style motorcycles 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I've got shineray X5 and it's not bad. Sure it's vibey over 6000rpm and the brakes are not great but the suspension is pretty good and it's comfortable enough with a good sheepskin. I geared mine down and it does 100-110 km/h comfortably. In stock configuration it would prolly do around 120 comfortably.
    I dare not ride faster in China as them farmers never look while driving or walking.

3. #3 Re: Opinions and suggestions on Adventure style motorcycles 
    Thanks modron. I did see a Shineray X5 on the street but have yet to find one in a shop. I've yet to get outside the city and ride. If I knew I was going to find, and ride a lot of dirt roads, trails, etc. that bike would be on my list. Right now my expectations are more small paved roads, possible in poor condition and some dirt. For that reason I'm leaning more on the street side of a dual purpose bike. if I find a lot of dirt roads, trails, etc. I may just end up with two bikes. Are the roads you ride on sufficiently bad (or fun in my opinion) to justify the more off-road orientation of your Shineray?

How is the reliability of your Shineray? I saw a lot of comments in that regard on the web. Granted they seemed to be old and likely related to early production.

4. #4 Re: Opinions and suggestions on Adventure style motorcycles 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    It never had me pushing it so guess its pretty reliable tho it feels like the transmission will fall apart any moment. I had a few minor issues but nothing serious.

I used to do long trips to remote areas hence the choice of bike but since I bought my work picked up and I don't have the time. I'll prolly be selling it next month when I get back to China. I don't have the time now to ride far so I'll get an enduro bike to trash around and possibly a scrambler for that yearly relaxation trip to West of China :) have my eyes fixed on SWM SV440 silver vase or benelli leoncino

5. #5 Re: Opinions and suggestions on Adventure style motorcycles 
    I understand there is a connection between Shinray and SWM. Are SWM's manufactured in China now? The scrambler style is becoming big again, and for good reason. Both of those models look great.

6. #6 Re: Opinions and suggestions on Adventure style motorcycles 
    The SWM bikes 440cc /400cc are made in China but with better components and refined engines compared to the 400/440 Shinerays.
    The SM and RS models are imported from Italy.

The X5 is now long in the market. So there are acceptable second hand bikes for 10 t0 15k RMB. With some maintenance you get a simple quite reliable bike with good offroad capabilities. Maybe a bit heavy but possible to handle (see also my old X5 review)

For buying new I'd look at the CF650MT for more road orientation and the HJ500X (Honda CB500X clone).
    Also the Suzi DL250 is worth a look. Its a smaller but reliable machine with good quality.
    For real serious offroad orientation there is still nothing chinese in the market.

But to be honest on our tours through the grasslands and Beijing mountain backyards we did it with groups of 1200GS, 800GS, X5 and Shineray 440 Sramblers.
    When gong with bigger bikes 400+cc are recommended. The rest is active upright sitting position, suitable tires and longer suspension travel.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

7. #7 Re: Opinions and suggestions on Adventure style motorcycles 
    ShuBen thanks for the tips. I'm trying to find information on your suggestion of an HJ500X. Appears to be a Hengjian manufactured here in Chongqing. In pictures it looks very similar to the Motrac MG500 (which I have not found in person) as well as the CoLove KY500, which is currently at the top of my list. Found a Facebook page for Hengjian so I sent them a message trying to get information. I'll see what happens there.

Interestingly on the Facebook page Hengjian is pushing motocross bikes. A HJ250 H1 2 stroke! Looks very much like a Husqvarna clone. There was also a video of a 4 stroke MX model but no information on that.

On a side but related note; when I arrived in Chongqing I found a listing for a KTM 690 enduro. After considerable effort I found out the bike was unavailable, had been sold, was never real, or otherwise not for sale. I would love to find a used KTM 690. Do they exist in China, leagally? Not really interested in a grey market model.

There have been a few legal KTMs 690 homologated by individual procedures from KTM as I heard. But all these bikes have been sold instantly. Have a look at the SWM RS500R. That is at least a legal option.

The Bikes you mentioned with 500cc have all the same Loncin engine. How long these brands will exist? Who knows.....

The HJ 2strokes are not really satisfying I heard from the community. I thought to get one but after the feedback I cancelled that idea.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

9. #9 Re: Opinions and suggestions on Adventure style motorcycles 
    Wish I knew what kind of riding was available around where I live. If there are plenty of off-road, small dirt roads etc. the SWMs would be a great option. The 500 looks very similar to my KTM 530 exc back in the US. Love the bike, but not so much on longer rides on paved roads. I'll try to find a RS500R in my area. Given it's an import I guessing a fairly hefty price? The 650 superdual looks nice as well and if that is available in China could be a great compromise. I had been mostly ignoring imported bikes due to the prices. Maybe I need to reconsider.

How about CFmoto 650 MT? See the report here in the forum. Reasonable price and for travelling a good option. I think you don't plan hardenduro on these bikes :-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast