After owning the CoLove ZF-GY 500x for over a month I’m finally getting around to prepare an initial review.

As a frame of reference my motorcycles in the US currently include a 2012 Ducati Multistrada and a 2009 KTM 530exc. The motorcycles I considered when buying a motorcycle here in China included the CF Moto 650MT and the Benelli TKR502x. Other motorcycles I looked at and ruled out included the Zontes 310 and the Zongshen RX3.

As pointed out by members of The MyChinaMoto community, both the CF Moto and the Benelli come from more established manufacturers and have more dealerships. Given the fickly nature of my stay in China those otherwise important factors weighed less in this decision. What I liked about the CoLover ZF-GY 500x (“500x”) was the lower weight (178Kg verses 213Kg verses 235Kg) more desired 19-17 spoked wheels (not available on the CF Moto) and the lower price 37800 for the 500x; 43700 for the CF Moto and a quoted out the door price of 48800 (with luggage cases?) for the Benelli.

As for build quality my limited impression would put the CF Moto at that top. The materials and quality of the welds as well as fit and finish was top of the group. In terms of more rugged looks, still with good fit and finish I would put the Benelli second. The fit and finish of the 500x is on par with the Benelli but just lacked the more rugged look. But, given the Benelli makes less power and carries considerable extra weight those looks come a cost.

The additional factors in favor of the 500x, in addition to the spoked tubeless wheels, included a KBY adjustable suspension and Nissin brakes.
My impression of the 500x after riding it for around 800Km remains favorable. I have yet to really test the engine due to still being in the break in period. The 472cc engine is a copy of the Honda CB500 motor right down to cc’s and horsepower. After the first service, and most importantly the first oil change I’ll start pushing the engine harder. For now I can say it has decent low end torque with a smooth even power delivery. It starts easily every time and I have noticed no flat spots or hick ups from the Bosch fuel injection. The power is adequate, particularly for slower speed Chinese roads.

Like the motor I have no real complaint with the 6 speed transmission. While not the smoothest shifting transmission I’ve ever owned with some break in I expect it may get better. Given the shifts are solid and I’ve yet to miss a shift, have the bike pop out of a gear or find a false neutral I would rate the transmission on par with the better Japanese bikes I’ve owned and better than the Ducati Multistrada.

As for the KYB suspension I’ve yet to have the time, tools and opportunity to make any adjustments. Not having found the time, etc. is due in good part to the set up from the dealer being fairly good. Doing only a quick parking lot test of sag, dampening and compression I can say the settings are close if not perhaps spot on. On the road the best I can say about the suspension is the lack of any noticeable issues. The bike handles rough roads with ease and remains solid while cornering, even with uneven surfaces. The real test will be at higher speeds and off-road.

The Nissin brakes remain a question mark. While it could be they need break in time or perhaps they could be bled better they just don’t feel that solid. It may be that compared to my two U.S. bikes, both having excellent Brembo brakes, the Nissin brakes are just not going to be at that level. Without a comparison to the standard brakes of the Colove non-x model, or to other Chinese bikes it’s difficult to say where the Nissin brakes actually rank. My last issue with braking is more suspension related, and that is excessive dive. I expect that is the one area of suspension adjustment that does need attention and hopefully the dive can be reduced at least a little with some adjustments.

Thankfully I have no major negative issues so far with the 500x. There are some minor issues but nothing that can be cured or lived with. The biggest issue is simply ergonomics, which is a personal issue. In an apparent compromise on seat height the manufacturer has kept the seat seemingly as low as possible. While that may please a shorter rider for me the seat feels too low for the overall height of the bike and makes the pegs feel too close. In addition the split seat feels and looks cheap. The material used is not up to the level of newer materials available today. The seat pan is a cheap plastic and the foam padding is just marginal. Trying to upgrade the seat may be where the less common CoLove brand becomes a liability. The next issue with the ergonomics is the handlebars. For my tastes they are too wide, tall and have too much sweep. Replacing the bars is on the top of my to do list.

Other minor issues would include the adjustable windscreen. The adjustability is limited to two positions and requires a complete removal to adjust. I’ve yet to find a windscreen on an ADV bike that I thought was even decent so as a comparison I don’t downgrade the 500x for this issue. Little nitpicks I have include the lack of any tool kit, or any place on the motorcycle to put even minimal tools. I’d also prefer a bigger chain.

Overall the build quality is good. The welds are considerably better than I have seen on most Chinese motorcycles while not as good as on Japanese or European brands, or the CF Moto. The quality of the plastics and fasteners is good. The only two exceptions I would note so far are the latch for the rear seat, which is crap, and the rear brake pedal, which looks rather flimsy.

In short, while it’s still early I’m happy with the CoLove 500x, particularly for 39,000Y out the door, including: tax, license, insurance and the aluminum top case. DSCN4673 (2).jpgDSCN4878.jpgDSCN4673 (2).jpgDSCN4878.jpgDSCN4681.jpgDSCN4678.jpgDSCN4873.jpg