Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Hello

1. #1 Hello 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi guys.

Found your forum by doing a lot of research as i have a problem at hand and needs to be fixed.

Im from Belgium , 44 years old.

Its still early but later on anybody for a special beer ? We have over 600 brands to choose from Belgium beer :-)

Cheers

2. #2 Re: Hello 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hello, Butler and welcome
    Let's see what your problem is.

3. #3 Re: Hello 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello Krasi

To cut a long story short here goes. Sure you dont want a beer first ? :-)

Got home on Monday from work to a lovely surprise from my wife. In the driveway stood a KSR Grs 125cc 2017 QJ157FMI-2B motorcycle that she bought me as a gift. It has 9000 km on the clock. With all the good she was trying to achieve, she understands nothing about motorbikes or there working and was conned. She took the sellers word for it ( he was a great person(NOT) and even dropped it off here in the driveway for her) and in reality it looks really nice but unfortunately it has some issues. As she signed a buyer/seller agreement which is legal here in Belgium, seller does not have to accept bike back and refund us the amount paid. She bought it *as is*

From what Ive read this is a chineese copy of the Suzuki GS125 engine

These are the problems:

1st gear+2nd gear bike pulls and rides ok. ( at least i think it feels ok for a 125cc )
    3rd gear gets to about 61/67 km/h but it takes long to reach that speed depending on head wind. Road is a flat. I would think that this is very little.
    4th gear top speed +- 71/76 km/h. Really feels like its lacking power.
    5th gear : forget about it. Speed drops down queit a bit:

This is the speedometer reading of speed in km/h

From what I have read , bike should do around 95 km/h. I know its a small bike, im a heavy bloke (103kg pure beer belly::: i mean pure muscle) :-) , but surely it should reach 90 km/h no problem. I have read some ppl get 100/110 km/h out of this bike.

I can change gears no problem, but I have also noticed that cluch feels like its worn. If you are riding and push clutch in and drop it quickly, you should feel that jerk of engagment, but it almost feels like a slip disk clutch (hope im making sense ). It takes long for clutch to engage again and its on the end of the lever;

Could that be the problem of lack of speed and power?

I checked the air filter today. Its a new one.
    I checked spark plug and compared to chart and its ok. Looks new. It is correct spark plug according to manual.
    I checked the chain tention and i tightened it to spec as it was very loose.
    Engine turns and sounds healthy. If I open choke with motor warm, it cuts out engine, which is normal.

Saturday im going to open up to have a look at clutch for signs of wear and tear.

Hope Ive been able to explain well enough.

Another beer? :-)
    Last edited by jamesthebutler; 04-26-2019 at 07:54 AM.

4. #4 Re: Hello 
    C-Moto Guru
    Worn clutch really seems doubtful. How about revving it in neutral? Any hesitation, sputtering? Does it hit the rev limiter?

P.S. Thanks for the beer offer, but I'm not a man enough and don't really like beer

5. #5 Re: Hello 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Krasi View Post
    Worn clutch really seems doubtful. How about revving it in neutral? Any hesitation, sputtering? Does it hit the rev limiter?

P.S. Thanks for the beer offer, but I'm not a man enough and don't really like beer
    Hello Krasi. Sorry for late reply, but just saw ur reply now.

I have made some progress in figuring out part of the problem. Last week I pulled cluth out and it looks pretty ok. I compared it to new clutches online and it is ok.
    I did find some water in a little box that goes to air filter and engine ( not to carburator) . Took water out, took carburator apart and cleaned it out properly, cleaned air filter (its a brand new one ); replaced spark plug and on Saturday i reset valve clearance to factory specs between 0.03/0.05 both exhaust and intake. There was a huge difference after setting valve clearance again and retuning carb . Bike instantly drives faster and better without cutting out when coming to a stop. I have been driving it too work and driving normal 50/70 kmh it drives ok now. I manage to get +- 88 kmh/92 kmh now top speed on speedometer on a long straight. But still it doesnt reach the 100/105 kmh like i see on some videos easily. This is a heavy bike +- 150 kg + im also heavy so it will play a part in it.

What else could I do in your opinion? I know its a 125cc and only 11.5 hp but i see almost all videos bike drives easily to 96/103 kmh and mine needs long road to reach 88/90 kmh and seems its just lacking that little extra power

Im already happy that now 3rd pulls and 4th too. 5th mantains speed
    It revs just fine in neutral with no hesitation and reaches red line (red limiter) and then starts cutting out which is normal

As too not liking beer, I have some very good red wines. I also have nice fruity white wines here but I use it to cook; Also have softdrinks and pure juices incluiding plain bottled water or with gas :-) you name it/ you drink it.

Once again thanks Krasi for any help or ideas shared here. Really appreciate it

6. #6 Re: Hello 
    C-Moto Guru
    Change final gearing? You'll need an even bigger straight, but eventually you should reach the 100km/h milestone.

7. #7 Re: Hello 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Krasi View Post
    Change final gearing? You'll need an even bigger straight, but eventually you should reach the 100km/h milestone.
    Hello Krasi

I will try that soon.

Thanks