RX3 Adventure ride 40 days/39 nights - better than Noah
Hello folks -

I am looking to take an adventure ride this next spring (2020), and have started to save money, decide on locations to stop at, and plan all the aspects of this trip.

For me the timing is important beucase (a) I am completing my internship next spring, and will have some free time, (b) I have to make sure I have a job when I come back, so the timing is important, and (c) this is going to require some serious money; which my budget is $5,000 (which would include the purchase price of the bike)

My goal hree is to: (a) push myself and do something I have never done, (b) face some fears of traveling, camping, and ride so far, (c) see more of the USA which I have not seen, (d) push the bike to see if i can make it, and (d) have some fun. (e) maybe meet some people and make friends along the way. (f) probably a once in a lifetime event for me.

Therefore, I wanted to reach out to the RX3 community here for some help and advice to help me make some choices and some of the aspects I am kinda stopped on.

Details of the trip are as follows:

(1) I have decided to go with an RX3 for this 2-up ride due to my wife wanting to come with me (she refuses to get her license and ride her own moto - long story). I know the bike is a little underpowered for this, but it will be alright as long as I can maintain 50-55mph with all the weight and gear. I am not concerned about riding 80-90 mph. The bike is the right size and would work quite well IMO. I have soft panniers and a top box, so the stock stuff I probably will not need. I will most likely upgrade to the better pannier racks that CSC has.

(1.1) Even though the budget is $5,000, I might be able to purchase the bike outright by April 2020; thus having more capitol.

(1.2) I plan to ride a max of 300-350 miles a day due to the stops I wish to see and visits. The day rides would be closer to 350, whiles some days would just be 300 or less. I have read in other blogs that 350 is a good pace. I am thinking to make it across Nebraska, I will have to have a big day of riding there.

I am worried about the heat in the desert as I have not experienced that, so I don't know what to expect. However, enough water and a liquid-cooled engine, I think would be alright.

(2) I have not decided yet if I would purchase a RX3 and have shipped to me to Minnesota, or if I would fly out to CA, buy one, then drive it to the places I want to go, and then drive back to Minnesota. Not sure yet. Still a couple of factors to work out.

If I was to get one, and have it shipped to me in MN, that would add at least 3-5 days travel time.

(3) I plan to take at least 40-days to ride to various places. The places I plan to ride are:

-California (off-road in LA: Santiago Peak, Rowlers Flats; Lee Vining; Back to the Future movie houses; Captiol Records Building; PCH), drive to San Fran (Reyes Point, Tesla), Yositemite Park, Joshua Tree, and a couple of things along the way. Most of the trip would be spent in CA. If the trails are too hard to too much for my skills and level, I would turn back due to having 2-up riding.

-Arizona: Phoenix; the rock crater; grand canyon; page, Az.

-Nevada (around Vegas, minimal off-road); check the area out as I might want to work there.

-Utah (around St. George, Moab (a drive-thru, due to time), Monument Valley, Zion National Park.

-Colorado (Pike's Peak) no off-road.

-Four Corners

-Ship Rock

-St Louis

-Nauvoo (heard it was beautiful)

-Riverside, IA: To see the ENTERPRISE Starship there.

-And ride up to St. Paul, MN (home).

(4) I do have a few of questions for the community. If you would be so kind to answer some or give some helpful advice this might make my decisions a little easier as I plan this out.

-How often did you do your laundry? Every 2-3 days? How many days of clothes would you bring? 2, 3, or 4?

-Did you use the stock tires on the RX3 or switch them out for your ride? I am leaning towards swapping out to IRC GP1's or something similar.

-Did you change out your inner-tubes before the trip? I am leaning out to switch out to HD tubes to avoid breaking-in issues.

-Has anyone tried to waterproof the bike as some people have reported problems when the bike would gets wet? What did you do to waterproof?

-How much drinking water would you carry on your bike or with you?

-What GPS would you recommend?

-What was or is a good sleeping bag which is light and would measure to about 10-degrees? What has worked for you?

-did you use a foam mattress or an air mattress?

-Do you have a recommendation for a light 2-3 person tent?

-Do you stop every 3-4 days for a rest day, or did you continue riding? How did that affect the trip, your back, or other aspects?

-How did you work meals? Did you eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner? How much do you think a good budget for a 30-40-day trip would be? Did you try to buy food at a grocery versus fast food and gas stations?

-did you use a mini-gas stove versus a fire? Which did you prefer more?

-What are somethings you would have to worry about when camping? Wolves, bears, theft? Bugs?

-What are three things you recommend bringing or knowing about?

-What would you recommend for a ADV jacket and pants? boots?

Thanks so much if you read until here. I hope to hear what you have experienced to help finish up the plans for my trip.

Also, don't worry, once I am underway, I will post on here!

Thanks,

Sky.