Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
  1. #101 Re: CJ 750 picture thread 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    I'm surprised no one posted this yet. CJ750 on bikeexif
    Nice pics. (I'm going through CJ withdrawal)

The article is interesting but needs correction - CJ750s are still being made, believe it or not - and, amazingly, one shop in Beijing can actually get a legal, full 11 year Jing A plate on these brand new factory bikes. How they get a plate on these "definitely-not-going-to-pass-ANY-emissions-test" bikes is "interesting", to say the least. It must be because they are 3-wheels, and they fall between the policy-cracks of 2-wheel and 4-wheel vehicles.

2. #102 Re: CJ 750 picture thread 
    Interesting stuff Laojiahuo, where do you get all this info? I was also under the impression that production of the CJ had long been ended. I'll pass this on to Thomas from Shanghai Sideways, who owns that bike (and is gonna be riding it all the way back to france in may!).

3. #103 Re: CJ 750 picture thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    where do you get all this info?
    I know the guy that runs a couple of CJ shops in Beijing, but he refuses to tell me how he manages to get full "A" plates on them - but he somehow manages to do it (38K for the new bike with a new A plate). He's the only shop that is "approved" to do it. I don't think there is much profit, or many sales, so I doubt there is any palm-greasing. It's a mystery.

They have to be brand new CJs, which are still made down in Nanning, Nanjing, Nanking ... or some other Nan-something. I researched it a bit, and the registration/plating needs new frame & engine serial numbers, which the government apparently gives the CJ factory in Nan-whatever. The process is a bit of a witch's brew.

BUT, a "new" CJ from Nan-....... could never be considered a finely machined work of art.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I was going to undertake a retirement project of starting a legitimate, legal, upper-end CJ tour company. Did a whack of research over the past year. Legal bikes were not the issue - but the driving license issue was insurmountable.

Thomas ... is gonna be riding it all the way back to france in may!.
    The guy's insane, but if it floats his boat, great, go for it!

You should come up for a visit!

4. #104 Re: CJ 750 picture thread 
    That's crazy, new plates on a new CJ! Does this still work even after the new emissions laws of march 1st?

Sorry to hear your plans of CJ touring company didn't go through. You're not the only one with dreams of doing that... How do other bike touring companies in china do it? There are a few that get temporary DL for their customers right?

My visit to bj is long overdue but isn't happening for a while yet, unfortunately i have other plans for my spare time. (going west!)
    Last edited by felix; 04-02-2011 at 03:58 AM.

5. #105 Re: CJ 750 picture thread 
    That's crazy, new plates on a new CJ! Does this still work even after the new emissions laws of march 1st?
    As far as I know, yes. I know of one bike that was very recently bought at this guy's shop and then immediately taken over to another CJ builder to be stripped and properly redone. The customer just wanted that legal plate and documentation attached to the frame serial number. The dealer must be getting around the rules, somehow, because it is a 3-wheel vehicle. But I am only guessing - I really have no idea, and he's the only one that can do it.

Sorry to hear your plans of CJ touring company didn't go through.
    Thanks, but no worries. Biking is just something to keep me busy post-high-pressure-career ... I hate golf. I'll find something new - maybe a custom-bike shop, specializing in bikes-for-gals ... you're design experience would be invaluable!

You're not the only one with dreams of doing that... How do other bike touring companies in china do it? There are a few that get temporary DL for their customers right?
    I hired a couple of smart young Chinese researchers over the last year to uncover all the ins/outs. The short story of our findings was there are two (maybe three) companies that are doing it legally, but several "companies" that are operating by a thread of legality (or simply entirely illegally). Temp DLs (for MCs) are a very special circumstance, available only with very particular group tour arrangements, and usually only from two locations in China. It just isn't worth it, yet, to continue with this project (way too frustrating). The two legal companies aren't getting rich, at all, and there is a HUGE liability risk laying just beneath the surface. The weekly insurance premium I was quoted by PICC for each foreign rider would make your head spin.

My conclusion after a year of research - I could purchase, even at a premium, an existing tour company in some exotic place like Vietnam, and still pay less than getting a high quality China-tour-company up and running, properly and legally.

My visit to bj is long overdue but isn't happening for a while yet, unfortunately i have other plans for my spare time. (going west!)
    Head West, young man!

And to keep with the theme of this thread, here's a sidecar pic ...

onlyinchina_127.jpg

6. #106 Re: CJ 750 picture thread 
    This is Weel's CJ 750.

I've posted pics of his prestine example elsewhere on the forum (http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...4615#post24615 ) but i'll plug his bike again here.

P1060430.jpg

P1060426.jpg

P1060444.jpg
    Last edited by dewsnap; 04-06-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: kindergarten level spelling

7. #107 Re: CJ 750 picture thread 
    This CJ belongs to a friend of new member Weel. Another beauty.

P1060508.jpg

Here they are together in all their glory.

P1060507.jpg

8. #108 Re: CJ 750 picture thread 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey Helantaxue your all pics are really very nice, and your stuffs is awesome with side car, I like your stuffs very much, thanks for sharing a nice pics of your stuffs.

9. #109 Re: CJ 750 picture thread 
    Latest of my machine.........now located in the US

10. #110 Re: CJ 750 picture thread 
    Nice, always good to see a CJ being put to good use!

What the hell are you doing with 沪A plates in the states?

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast