Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Cafe a chang?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Cafe a chang? 
    Hi,
    I'm thinking about tracking down a heavily used plastic cj and ripping it to bits and making a 750cc Chinese cafe racer.

Has anyone done this before or thought about it before?

According the purists, Cafe racers are 60s/70s bikes (brits, early four japs) so the CJ is a little bit old for that. Fork, rear suspension, frame and engine shape are different from the typical cafe racer style.

But you can always strip down one more in the line of the 40s/50s race bikes. Like many bikes, CJ looks better naked.

Brice

Brice, I'm interested in doing it to one of the swing arm CJs. You must know, the really ulgy ones that look like this

Check www.cj750lm.com you might need to sign up to see the pictures and a working knowledge of Chinese to find the correct threads:biggrin:

Problem with doing a cafe and then riding it around is the fact that the bike would now no longer look like the bike in it's blue book registration picture.........a bit of a no no here. You need official permission to even paint a bike a different colour than the colour it was registered as.

If you live in the sticks..........anythings possible, if you know some cops even more so.

Got it the M15 made for the Police. You should find some inspiration by looking at the beemer cafe racers. The earl fork will have to be replaced if you go solo.

I'm aware of the problems with registering the bike. I'd be in the sticks and it'd only be a once in a while thing. The bike above is not my bike, just a bike I took a photo of. I would of course not use the Earl's forks.

Little 125cc bike would probably still be quicker:biggrin:

I've also thought about that. I've also been thinking of turing one of the X185 clones into a supermoto. But I think a Cafed CJ would look petty cool. I'm not too concened about going fast on the road in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersignet View Post
    I'm not too concened about going fast on the road in China.
    Faster things are harder to hit :laugh:

10. #10 cafe racer CJ 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi,
    I've seen a couple done up here in Beijing. I'll try and find the pics. But if you start with an M5 bike or one of the swingarm police bikes and strip off all the plastic you get basically what you're looking for. Switch the seat and you're about there.
    Regds,
    Jim
    www.mycj750.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast