Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Qingqi 200GY-BA Motard Rear Suspension 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have a question: I'm not a mechanic, but I've trying to fix my bike little by little. I use to travel alone, but when last time I went to the market with my girlfriend and I noticed the rear suspension went really low. I was adjusting the shock and I noticed a valve on top of it. A friend of mine told me these bikes use gas, and probably that was my problem (out of it). Is it true? what type of gas does it use? do I have to take it to the shop or can I do it myself?

I think someone spoke about this but I can't remember who. All I found was this thread from Forchetto, the valve would be the #9 http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ght=suspension

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    We start talking about the suspension pressures etc on post number 6 on this thread:

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...light=mountain

CrazyCarl then asked the factory how much air should go in there and we got the figure as :

"From the factory they're loaded with 0.6Mpa plus or minus 10% (6 bar or 87 PSI)"

It can be just air, using a special pump like the one shown in the thread above, but it can also be nitrogen. This is more stable and not affected by temperature. Changes in ambient temperature affect air much more than nitrogen.

I bought a special high-pressure pump used on mountain bike suspensions, a normal tyre pump won't reach the pressure required.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    awesome! that was I was looking for! I knew I saw your post but couldn't remember where. thanks a lot!!!!

so basically, it can filled with air, but it needs a special pump, hmmm I wonder if my brother-in-law's compressor will do the trick. I tried at the gas station but obviously my bike was to hot to put my hands near of it and I just couldn't, besides the post says it won't work. I guess I'll will take it to his shop on my pickup and try again.

I wonder if the previous owner took the air out, because it's odd to me that when there are 2 persons on the bike it really sits. I just want to take my girl out for a spin

Thanks again Forchetto for your help!

Edited: Just called the distributor for Costa Rica, and they don't do that. I almost felt like they don't even know what I was talking about :(
    So I guess it's up to me :)
    Last edited by DeSaint; 05-27-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    You're right. The importer here in Spain didn't even know the suspension could be filled with air either, never mind the pressures required.

The problem in inflating it isn't just having a pump or compressor that can reach the pressure required. The problem is that a normal tyre connector tends to let air out as you connect it and disconnect it. The gas chamber in the shock has very small capacity but at high pressure so the slight loss as the connector is removed loses most of the air.

The special pumps for suspension adjustment have a very special valve that can be put on and taken off without air loss. Even so the schraeder valve is hard to reach. Don't do it with a garage compressor, I would guess it will blow the seals due to the small quantity of air required.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    aaah true true.
    I guess I'll try to find an air pump good enough for it. So, will it resolve my problem or should I do something more to rigid the suspension while traveling with someone else?

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    With traditional twin shock road bikes, the shock absorbers can have their springs pre-load adjusted for the extra weight with a simple tool. Some need a screwdriver blade, others a small "C" spanner, and others, like old-fashioned and uncool BMW's and MZ's had a built-in lever permanently attached to the bottom of the shock that could be turned by hand, instant adjustment.

These clever and trendy and cool monoshocks also have an adjustment. This takes the form of two locking rings that can be moved up and down on a thread on the body of the shock. They normally come from the maker with the rings halfway on the thread.
    Moving the rings upwards will stiffen the suspension but they're not easy to reach or adjust. Progress...
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

Glad this came up again because it reminded me to check our new QM250. I happen to have a Cannondale mountain bike that requires the same high pressure pump for the suspension, so I plugged her in and low and behold Zero PSI/BAR. I pumped it up to 6 bar / 87 PSI and took it for a spin... very nice

I highly recommend checking this, try a mountain bike shop if you don't have the pump. I'm going to check it again after 500 kilometers and see if what the change in pressure is.

Cheers
    ChinaV

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    I highly recommend checking this, try a mountain bike shop if you don't have the pump. I'm going to check it again after 500 kilometers and see if what the change in pressure is.
    Cheers
    ChinaV
    Great. Do let us know how the pressure holds up. I'm running mine empty to keep the seat height down. I'm very short and only do normal road riding. It handles OK albeit a bit soft.
    I hope the seals in the shock are not made by the same people that make the tyre inner tubes. These lose air very rapidly and have to be corrected every 7 to 10 days.

In an attempt to lower the seat height I bought an alternative monoshock. It came with fancy gas reservoir and fins, etc but when I compared it to the factory one there was no contest: The factory one is extremely well-made with a thick piston rod and spherical bearings top and bottom. The finish of the anodising, zinc plating and spring paint is also first class. I sold it to next doors teenager that loves the bling factor of a separate reservoir.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    I pumped it up to 6 bar / 87 PSI and took it for a spin... very nice
    Is 87 PSI a little high for internal shock pressure? I know that on forks you were only supposed to add a few lbs or risk putting excessive wear on the seals and blowing them out like Moby Dick.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    Is 87 PSI a little high for internal shock pressure? I know that on forks you were only supposed to add a few lbs or risk putting excessive wear on the seals and blowing them out like Moby Dick.

CC
    That's the figure they've given us when you made enquiries with the factory. I find that just putting in 1 or 2 bars makes a noticeable difference to suspension behaviour, although I'm running mine empty for easier reach for my short legs.

The Brasilian manual does not specify anything, although it shows clearly the same shock with its schrader valve.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast