Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 BD 125, noob rider with some bike problems. Please help! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello friends,

I recently purchased a BD 125 motorcycle and am having a few issues. I'm able to start the bike fine, but then it loses rpm and stalls. Every once in a while I can get the bike going but when I come to a stop it often stalls. I've been tinkering with the air/fuel screw but any other suggestions are welcome.

My battery indicator keeps flashing, and for some reason 3rd gear won't show on the speedometer even though the bike itself does shift. The speedo says its still in second gear when it's realistically in third, or nothing shows at all ( no number shows up). If I shift up again it'll go to 4th and display the number 4.

These issues had me thinking it was a battery issue. I'm the second owner and realized the previous owner changed out the battery. That's when I noticed this plug (see attached pic) Any ideas on what it plugs into??

Thanks for the help!
    Attached Images

2. #2 Re: BD 125, noob rider with some bike problems. Please help! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    The most common cause of a stalling problem is that motorcycle engines are forced to run way too lean, but of course there is an array of other possibilities that can cause a warm engine to stall:

- Air/Fuel ratio too lean (the most likely cause)
    - Engine idle level set too low
    - Clogged filter in the fuel tank ventilation line
    - Faulty Lambda Sensor (may not always flash a warning in the instrument panel)
    - Fuel pressure too low
    - Leaking intake rubber hoses between throttle valve housing and cylinder head
    - Leaking vacuum line to the airbox
    - Air filter dirty/ possibly changed to an after-maket filter not allowing enough air
    - Throttle valves not correctly synced
    - Throttle position sensor (TPS) not correctly adjusted
    - Valve clearances are too tight
    - Low compression
    - Poor electrical circuit e.g. dying battery, poor spark, foul spark plug etc. Checking the spark plug may also provide clues to the running condition (lean vs rich)

The electrical connector plug - does it look like an OEM ex-factory or an aftermarket add-on (you've bought the bike second hand/used I assume)? You may have to remove the side panel to expose more of the frame etc, and the wiring routed along the frame to ascertain if there's a male plug to that.

FWIW, take a look at the Chinariders forum, as there are more members with Chinese sourced bikes that are based out of the 'States' which may be able to assist. MCM is mainly foreign riders based in the middle kingdom.

BTW welcome to MCM
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #3 Re: BD 125, noob rider with some bike problems. Please help! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    The most common cause of a stalling problem is that motorcycle engines are forced to run way too lean, but of course there is an array of other possibilities that can cause a warm engine to stall:

- Air/Fuel ratio too lean (the most likely cause)
    - Engine idle level set too low
    - Clogged filter in the fuel tank ventilation line
    - Faulty Lambda Sensor (may not always flash a warning in the instrument panel)
    - Fuel pressure too low
    - Leaking intake rubber hoses between throttle valve housing and cylinder head
    - Leaking vacuum line to the airbox
    - Air filter dirty/ possibly changed to an after-maket filter not allowing enough air
    - Throttle valves not correctly synced
    - Throttle position sensor (TPS) not correctly adjusted
    - Valve clearances are too tight
    - Low compression
    - Poor electrical circuit e.g. dying battery, poor spark, foul spark plug etc. Checking the spark plug may also provide clues to the running condition (lean vs rich)

The electrical connector plug - does it look like an OEM ex-factory or an aftermarket add-on (you've bought the bike second hand/used I assume)? You may have to remove the side panel to expose more of the frame etc, and the wiring routed along the frame to ascertain if there's a male plug to that.

FWIW, take a look at the Chinariders forum, as there are more members with Chinese sourced bikes that are based out of the 'States' which may be able to assist. MCM is mainly foreign riders based in the middle kingdom.

BTW welcome to MCM
    Thank you :) It definitely looks stock. I've been scouring Youtube for a peak at the interior and I believe the other bikes have it unplugged as well. I'll check out chinariders as well. Thanks for the direction!