Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Qlink XF200 gas mileage 
    So, I'm almost at the 500 km mark to do the oil change with my Qlink XF200 and I just checked my gas mileage after a weekend jaunt. I was very happy to find that I got slightly over 91 mpg. Yeah, it's kind of confusing to start talking in kilometers and switch to miles per gallon but that's the nature of the beast. My odometer reads in km so I have to convert to miles to check mpg. I bought the bike to be a daily commuter for work so I was looking for high mpg. To help with this I changed the front sprocket from 15T to a 16T and the rear from 48T to 45T. I also changed the pipe and rejetted. I haven't taken off any of the emission stuff as I am waiting for the full break in period to end so that I can get a control point with regard to mpg before I do anymore mods. I will be doing something with the front suspension, though. It dives too much when braking. I see in the manual that there is no top spacer so I might add one, change to a higher weight oil, or both. Kingmarty45 went with 20w and was happy with that. Honda used a spacer in my Magna V65 forks with 1" sticking up before putting the caps on. If I go the spacer route (which is the easiest to do) I will use that as a guide.

David,

91MPG is sweet and still more fun and almost twice as efficient as a hybrid.

It sounds like you've done a lot of work to the bike. You said you changed the jetting and I was wondering what combo worked best for you? Others have wrestled with the jetting settings and seemed to have mixed success? You got any flat spots or surging?

Also, I thought there were little gear boxes you could attach to the speedo drive cable that would convert from kilometers to miles. I just tried to look but can't find one. If I see one, I'll let you know. Another alternative would be to use a Sigma bicycle computer. Only something like 20 bucks but you get a more accurate read out as well as multiple odometers.

Regarding the fork dive, go for the spring spacer first. Every bike I've ridden except the Versys eventually needed spacers added under the caps. Only thing is, if you're diving A LOT, then spacers may help but probably won't get you where you want. Worth trying but I figure 20w oil may be in yur future.

Anyway, congrats on a sweet bike! Side note, what's you're cruising speed /RPM with the new gearing combo?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Carl,
    I went with the 125 jet like forchetto and matt did. I posted a picture of the exhaust on forchetto's post he started about the Xian exhaust. Along with some observations about all of the emmision stuff I have on my bike that others don't have. The exhaust is larger then most and takes a bit of work to get it to fit but I'm happy with it. As soon as I changed the pipe and jet I noticed an overall change. I only have to choke when the temperture drops a bit. I haven't noticed any flat spots or surging either. I've looked into the coverters for the odometer but they are a bit pricey...at least the ones for cars. Do they sell these for China bikes through the parts houses? I do have a bicycle speedo and I will install it after the break in period to get more accurate readings on speed and mpg. Right now, I am running about 6000 rpm at 55-60 mph. These reading are suspect if both the tach and speedo are off, however. I don't mind doing the coversion from kpg to mpg because with 91 mpg I don't have to do it that often. I would like the mph on the speedo to be more visable, though. I'm entertaining the idea of getting into the stock speedo and see what can be done.

I'm with you on trying the spacer first. It's the easiest and probably should be in there anyway.
    Last edited by david3921; 06-21-2009 at 10:56 PM.