Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 best chinese 250cc dual sport in china 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    hello there,

few years ago when i was planing to buy a bike i created a topic for them. benelli and shineray dual sports. i bought the benelli bj250gy already and i've been happy with it. even when i bought the bike it was not in production anymore and i hardly found one.

anyway, ine of my friends wants to buy a dual-sport (actually same as mine he wants). even if it's possible to find one i wouldn't suggest him to buy benelli. it's very hard to find spares and accessories. there is no shineray xy250gy-2a/b either.

now we want to buy one for him. all i could see is a brand named KAYO. they mostly make cross bikes and they have few enduros. "KAYO K6L" is one of the dual sports they make. there are some other models like t2, t4, etc but seems like the k6l is pretty good on paper. i am adding the pictures and specs of the bike. please tell me what you think about it. if you have any other suggestions, always welcome.

Sent from my MI 8 SE using Tapatalk

First thing u mst watch out is whether u get it registered road legal.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

If u dont intent to go hard offroad, a Shineray or SWM Scrambler should do it.
    Surprisingly road legal Enduros like the X2 have disappeared completely.

SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    First thing u mst watch out is whether u get it registered road legal.

yeah, one shop told me this kayo bikes cannot be registered.

i don't really understand how/why are they legally selling these bikes if they cannot serve the purpose.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    If u dont intent to go hard offroad, a Shineray or SWM Scrambler should do it.
    Surprisingly road legal Enduros like the X2 have disappeared completely.

he wants a bike like mine actually. let's not say hard off-road, but we are planing to do some together :)

you are right about the enduros. it might be all about the fuel injection things except the benelli. people say my bike was a big disappointment for some reason, so the benelli discontinued the model. for me, it's not really worse than crf, except the fucking rim sizes. i cannot find tires for them.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    @shuben, we may still check some benelli or shineray x2 in second hand market. x2 has plenty of parts on taobao. still considerable i guess. what do u think?

When checking taobao you might even be able to find one of the X2 more road oriented version with EFI. They came normally in orange or white color scheme.
    2nd hand is an option too. Especially I saw that the SWM scrambler 250 uses the same engine with EFI. Frame,fork and swingarm have been solid. With some wrenching skills and some parts it should be a cheap solution to rebuilt a worn X2

SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    yes i know the efi model, it's called xy250gy-2b. carburetor model name is xy250gy-2a. these two are the latest produced shineray x2s. but i couldn't see any of efi models. many people had doubt about its efi as i remember. my bike's efi is good i guess. feels like very responsive. shineray's efi should be good enough too.

since the options are very limited, any of them are okay actually. 2b should be better for sure according to your experience. i'm checking these days. first 4 pictures are 2b with efi, last 2 pictures are 2a with carburetor.

as i said, there are many of carburetor version of the bike now in second hand market. do you have any experience buying second hand bikes from other provinces and cities? anything to be careful? how about the processes? changing plate and some extra costs?

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    edit: sent repeatedly.

10. #10 Re: best chinese 250cc dual sport in china 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hi OP. Many bike models available a few years ago have long since been discontinued for a variety of reasons, pollution controls and regulation changes, competitive market forces, new R&D. Market has also matured somewhat which has had an impact and there are a range of electric options too which challenge the marketplace.

As for the buying and plating a used/second hand bike, there are a range of legal requirements that differ from city to city and province to province. Because of this the complexity makes it problematic to answer your question definitively. One would need to check with the city/province from where one purchases a bike/vehicle and the city/town where one hopes to register said vehicle.

Some jurisdictions, charge a used/second hand sales tax, while others don't. Some allow the use of the same registration plate, while others will issue a new plate. Some cities, and provinces do not allow registering a used/second hand bike from another province...
    Unfortunately one will need to complete ones own due diligence to sort out what is allowed and how to go about it. Many jurisdictions won't register a bike with carbs... only EFI. But, again one would need to check.

Of course it goes without saying that one would usually be expected to have a passport with an appropriate visa, a drivers license with the correct class, a PSB registered local address, possibly have bike inspected (this can differ), obtain the CTP insurance etc
    I'd add that buying new online or even used from someone you don't know that can be hard to vouch for may leave you open to not getting any assistance of something were to go wrong. Yeah often a seller will say and promise anything to get the deal done, but after getting your cash... woosh... gone with the wind or similar feeling if you needed assistance of support...

Buying from a bricks and mortar store (dealer/stealership), may slightly increase your chances of sorting out any post purchase issues - but not always. Bigger brand stores usually are more dependable in this regard.
    YMMV
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast