Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 tire suggestions 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    hello community!

first, my bike is benelli bj250gy-2.

I'm planning to buy some knobby tires for my bike. as the rim sizes are not common for a dual sport i am having trouble with it.

i am on 90/90-19 and 110/90-17 stock kingstone tires now. i may able to buy kenda 761 for street but i am actually okay with the current tires on the road. i just want to buy knobby tires for some trails.

now i got two options;

- first i may buy shitty chinese knobby tires available for the size. yuanxing is the brand. i put some pictures of them here that u can see..

- second i may try to change the rims with 21-18. I'm not familiar with these things and asked a shop. they gave me lots of specs and numbers about the rims that i need to buy. I'm going to add these in chinese in case you are familiar with them.

轴承内颈17cm,刹车盘直径23.5cm, 后平叉距离22cm,轴承内颈17cm,刹车盘直径23.5cm,后平叉距离22cm

even if I'm able to change the rims i have some doubts. it may effect the balance and riding dynamics.

how bad is noname tires? what would you do if you are in my case?

Sent from my MI 8 SE using Tapatalk

2. #2 Re: tire suggestions 
    Yuanxing & Kingstone are from the SAME maker in Sichuan.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    @humanbeing i actually know that. the thing i want to know if it is worth making effort to change the rims or i should just buy the ones that i showed. it's really pain in the ass riding that bike on dirt just because of its 140 kg wet weight. so, maybe it's better to stop trying until i can effort a new pure mx bike.

4. #4 Re: tire suggestions 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
    @humanbeing i actually know that. the thing i want to know if it is worth making effort to change the rims or i should just buy the ones that i showed. it's really pain in the ass riding that bike on dirt just because of its 140 kg wet weight. so, maybe it's better to stop trying until i can effort a new pure mx bike. Sent from my MI 8 SE using Tapatalk
    IMO I think you said it yourself, with the words "stop trying". Changing the rims means changing wheel sizes so you can find a wider range of Tyre sizes to choose from. However, changing rim sizes means changing much more than just those. You'll likely have to change the mud guards (fenders), change the axles, change the brake calipers and associated fittings and likely a whole lot more... IMO better to spend your money on a more suitable bike.
    Just my kuais worth
    YMMV
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

Maybe try to find the right matching spokes and then change just the rim

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    @bikerdoc and @shuben thank you for your replies. i decided to keep the bike, as it is. i will buy the cheap knobby tires. it's not possible to sell mine and i cannot effort another bike these days.

@shuben ; i tried to talk to some sellers from taobao. it's not easy to communicate with these technical details. so, I'll first buy the cheap knobby tires that i told you to check their ability on the road. if they are too bad on the road I'll buy one more pair of stock rims to prevent changing tires everytime.

thank you for the answers ;) enjoy your ride!

Last edited by bahadir; 06-18-2020 at 05:55 PM.

7. #7 Re: tire suggestions 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
    @bikerdoc and @shuben thank you for your replies. i decided to keep the bike, as it is. i will buy the cheap knobby tires. it's not possible to sell mine and i cannot effort another bike these days.

@shuben ; i tried to talk to some sellers from taobao. it's not easy to communicate with these technical details. so, I'll first buy the cheap knobby tires that i told you to check their ability on the road. if they are too bad on the road I'll buy one more of pair stock rims to prevent changing tires everytime.

thank you for the answers ;) enjoy your ride!

Your idea of buying a second set of rims is a sound idea, and an idea that others have used on other bikes for various reasons. The bonus is as you and those other bikers have identified is that its far easier to swap out a set of dedicated set of wheels already shod with different tyres to ride in quite varying bitumen road versus trail type conditions. You might find it easier finding and purchasing a set of rims than the tyre choices too, though make sure that everything is set up the same.

Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #8 Re: tire suggestions 
    make sure you get brake rotor and drive sprocket for the second wheel set.
    I had that solution on my X2 and was very happy for the 15min fast swap.
    BUT: watch out that the sprocket has the same number of teeth.
    I thought to be clever and put a somewhat bigger sprocket on the knobbie wheel set just to fuigure out that my chain was just 1 link too short and i could not fit the wheel .... lessons learned!
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC