That is definitely a relevant topic in China

I have had such bad experiences a few times, partly because I never really learned (=took classes) how to ride a bike, just got the 125cc french license after two years having the car license (yea we used to have that regulation). I do plan to take a few lessons on emergency braking and shunning (and other important stuff) next time I go home for the holidays.

Still, I have already riden in BJ (about 20,000 km, mostly urban) and one time it was definitely the guy's fault (a cabbie, of course): a wonderful cut-in, just like in the movies when they try to whack the good guy. Fortunately, I had time to brake and was only going about 20km per hour when I hit his bumper and fell on the side. No serious damage (indicator broken and some bruises) but I dont wanna imagine what would have happened if cars arriving behind were a bit closer. Of course - again - the cabbie only left his car to check his bumper (not interested in me lying on the ground).

To me, a good way to read the traffic is thinking that all pedestrians and light vehicles wanna use your bike to commit suicide, and all cars and bigger vehicles wanna end your life. And they're gonna use the element of surprise. Of course it's not true, but I keep finding it surprisingly relevant.

And I agree that attention should be maximum: if I am tired or just out of bed, I drive 20km/h slower. And yea, I agree that most attention (not all) should be towards what's ahead, not behind (every driver seems to follow that logic, which gives it sense somehow)