Hi all, nice to be here....

Just wanted to introduce myself because I see there is a wealth of personalities, backgrounds and knowledge in regards to riding in China on this site that I'm ready to explore ...and the Middle Kingdom via two wheels.

My name is Christine from the US (but grew up part time in Asia, mom is Chinese, dad is American and I speak Mandarin); have been riding over twelve years and my present bike is a Honda CBR600rr. Currently, I am living in Singapore for two months but have plans with another lady, Szu-Ting (http://www.littlepo.com) to ride across mainland China. So far, our route is South to Northwest...but more on that later as there is much-needed info we need before we can even hit the ignition switch.

We are in the process of converting our Hong Kong drivers/motorcycle licenses into ones for mainland China. Location-wise, it will most likely be easiest to do this somewhere in the southeast near Hong Kong - Shenzhen probably. I spoke to someone today in China (a service that makes the process go more smoothly...like a tour guide through China's DMV) and he told me that after obtaining a China driver's license, the applicant has to wait one year before applying for a China motorcycle license. Is this true? It made my heart drop.

Hopefully someone has information on how I can put my heart back in my chest.

If some of you all have experience in switching over licenses, we would be grateful to know what exactly is needed.

ALSO, any leads on sturdy bikes in the southern parts of China, ones that will be our reliable steeds as we undertake this month-long journey would be wonderful; something capable of rugged terrain, rain, fast enough to escape the police, etc (kidding ;).....as I am not sure what to expect with the road just yet.

Bike photos below. Szu-Ting has some to come...she is just learning to ride but picks everything up very quickly!

Thanks kindly and more questions from us to follow I'm sure. :)

Ride safe,
Christine

Riding around Oregon and back to Nevada

My present bike. Very happy with Honda.

Old bike, Honda CBR600 F4i

Favorite terrain...mountains and desert