Thats all correct and shipshape but I think Euphonius was thinking of not having to worry about losing it, as much as usage. Cheap netbooks will do anything but the fast editing of videos on the run, so if that is your main intention of course you get the machine for that, but most people are happy to store images until they get back in the camera and cards, flicking through them and maybe posting one or two small jpg versions while they travel is easy enough.

Even with insurance if available, I would rather lose a netbook than a MacAir or whatever. These days it is the content we have that is important to us, at least as much as the device. And with the Chrome or Ubuntu clouds you are covered.

I know hackers get ingenious as security improves but the next phones and tablets will apparently report where they are if reported stolen and can be turned into unrecoverable bricks remotely.The external parts and components may still have a value to thieves, as with bikes and cars, but they prefer to dispose of the whole item.