Oy mates,

I have few questions regarding the way you drive with your motorbike in downtown Shanghai.
I use to have a Jiangsu plate so didn't care much about traffic lights, nor big avenues like Yan'an xi road for instance (where motorbike are not allowed), but as I'm a legal driver now (bought a 650NK, 1 month ago, will put a big review in 1 week), with an inner-ring license plate ( 沪A) I have to admit that, being more easy to traced, I have to re-think my driving way toward the chinese rules, still...

Here are my questions for the inner-ring license plate ( 沪A) owners:

- Are you respecting every traffic light, means you stop at every red light, whatever there's car or not? (there's no flash at crossroad, only cameras, but they don't fine so unless a cop stop you, it's the only chance you'll be fine 200 and lose 3 points: correct me if I'm wrong)
- Are you respecting single-way street, means you don't drive on the bycicle lane, or emergency lane which allow you to take the opposite direction?
- Are you respecting the rules toward big avenues (yan'an xi road, beijing xi road, huaihaizhong road,...) where big bikes are not allowed.

For the last question I was driving on beijing xi road, with my 650, where I'm not supposed to (unless it's later than 7pm) and I saw a cop so I drove to him and ask him if it was OK : he told me that as long as I don't stay on it for a long time, he wouldn't fine me, if it's just to a take a turn at the next crossroad, they generally tolerate it.

I admit that passing years in China corrected...hhhmm...corrupted my driving way, so please no sermon.

And you, what's your driving attitude toward the chinese traffic rules?

Cheers,

T.