Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
I bought meself that TTO spark plug thermometer but didnt have a lot of time to try it out. However I did have around 20min ride around the city and the temp got up to 160C and it wasnt a hot day.

Whats the max safe temperature for cylinder head? I did google and some say its around 250-260C

Hi Modon
You placed the ring under the spark plug YES? then you will be reading the most hottest place of the engine.
You say your Google search said the Max safe is around 250/260 C IMO that's too hot, and around town with stopping and starting the temperature will go up quick compared to when you are on a run.
With my Yamaha I found the temperature around town to be the same as yours 160C so all looks good above this it will rise slowly to around 180C on a run and only gets hotter when you are under load i.e. low gear going uphill's start to easy of when you get near the 200C mark and IMO no more than 210C and you should be safe
Outside air temperature don't have a real great impact on the engine temperature as you would think when your engine is running near the 200c mark 40c outside air temperature will still cool the engine some and for sure when its 10c will cool a bit more but I found only by about 10c.

Found out some more in fore about the ATA for you, I am told by my Chinese friends that the ATA will be obtained at Erenhot from agent at a cost of 13.000 Rmb to be left as a bond for each bike i am sure if you can find someone in Erenhot who can speak English you should be able to find the office ok and i think there is more than one ? I asked my friends about the cost of the document fee for the ATA and I was told about 300/500 rmb
I picked up my IDP yesterday please see picture will will only show a downloaded picture from the internet on a open forum its looks fine to me and should do the trick IMO not that we have much choices in this matter living in China .

Hope your trip goes ok and have a safe ride

regular_book_card_beige.jpg