Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 sat nav and camera combo now with 3d ----GARMIN NUVI 2565 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob PaulTheDevil's Avatar
    hi y'all
    just thought id share a note. just my opinion but also some info for those wondering or interested.
    i live shanghai and just bought a m/bike.wanted a sat nav,cos i have always used one and never know where i am. also it gives petrol stations,banks,etcetc. now that said i also wanted to have some kind of permanent recording device cos of all the accidents i have heard about and the stupid a.holes who throw themselves infront of you in order to score some coin.

i had no intention of buying english language cos all the chinese ones are way cooler more tech and loads cheaper. i have a chinese wife (from england,not ''bought'' here) so she can help with the main lang.problem and i thought if i needed help i can ask. i know now this is stupid but i looked at the new stuff and to be honest . 7 years ago i bought a ken wood ddx dvd unit and touch screen outfit for my beemer. it was 6k but it was better,faster and more hi tech than the ones today.now as tech evolves i was astounded at how basic the modern hand helds are.

anywho. i went to the shop next to me. ''buy now '' and looked about for a camera recorder and sat nav. and as it happened the best option was a GARMIN NUVI 2565.
    this has a sat nav in english, with a chinese map and a hd camera attached that can be mounted to the back or separated. the english does not support 3d or split screen junction view. or voice control. but it comes with chinese map installed so you can swop.
    http://www.garmin.com.sg/products/on...vi_2565_sg_my/

now heres the clever bit....
    1. my chinese wife wrangles with the owner and got the "foreigner weekend" price down to a "local weekday" price. 1500y from 2300y
    2. i also argued to get a 2gb card with english maps installed for 50y. other shops offered free but he went and obtained the ($115 extra) latest version map.
    3. i registered in china. which ment i could get free lifetime upgrades
    4. reg here meant the very new china map. with INCLUDES 3D MAPS AND JUNCTION. and voice control. is available. reg in your home country and it isn't even listed.

so now i just load up in english on the english map. save my choice. swop to china map (2 presses) then start off on my journey. get pretty split screen images and 3d guiding. speed camera alerts and i can still type and operate in english. cooool
    i powered it with a simple city lighter adapter fitted directly to the battery 5min job.

the camera is great. you can adjust the size from 320 .640. 1080. and it has sound....it is small (about 2 inches square)robust and powered by the unit. it has an onboard 8gb micro sd card.
    IT MARKS THE VIDEO WITH...DATE..TIME..SPEED
    i took the mount from the car bracket and attached it just under the speedo and above the front light. as soon as you turn it on it starts to record. you can watch your drive(but i recommend looking at the road. wee bit safer) or you can leave it alone and wait till you need it or not.

both units are pressure mounted to pop on and off.

extras are a waterproof box for it and a mount from taoao. maybe $20 and a cigy adapter $4.
    the only thing i had to do was extend the cable to the camera. it is micro sd. but has a 6cable shielded core with a 2cable shielded included. not available. but simple snip .electrical tape and some tinfoil and tada. one extended cable..

it works well and the map option is cool. you can even plot your trip on your pc and then update it to your garmin. by, lat n long. address. city . etc etc

if you want pics or video i can provide.
    old enough to know better but young enough not to care

2. #2 Re: sat nav and camera combo now with 3d ----GARMIN NUVI 2565 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Thanks for your kind review, Paul, though you are moving pretty fast in your explanations and it's almost all over my head. I have a couple of (possibly naive) questions:

1) So you are saying this is a Garmin GPS that captures video of your drive/ride as a legal protection in the case of an accident?
    2) Is the video exportable for personal use?
    3) Is there any offset between the English and Chinese maps? Or are they both accurate, with no offset?
    4) If it's constantly recording video (for use as a legal record), what is its capacity, and what do you do with all terabytes of video data it captures?

Damn, this GPS and mapping stuff makes my head spin. Thanks for taking the plunge and helping to school us technophobes about the benefits!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: sat nav and camera combo now with 3d ----GARMIN NUVI 2565 
    hi
    sorry it was meant as a taster to get this very response,as i know i cannot satisfy all the questions i may encounter. i hope this clarifies, but if not please feel free to ask
    1. it captures true video of your actual camera. weather its pointed front or back or wherever.
    2. it can be downloaded to special software on a pc to edit,use,store or whatever you want to do with it.. its just an avi. file
    3. as far as i know they are pretty well same. the chinese map is actually chinese and not available in the west.... it is more detailed and seems to update quicker,as it sits on the unit and not on the sd card. also the detail is clearer. so only register it in china not uk/usa etc etc
    but the english map is fantastic if you must have english instruction or pinyin roads. b ut i found the voice distracting and easy to id the right or wrong character to get clarification. but this set against a clear concise, lane. road sign.3d junction picture on split screen. well i know which option i like.
    4. ok it can be started or stopped at will. the files can be locked to stop deletion. it has an onboard slot with a 8gb micro sd card. but comp to 32gb... an hour journey at full res used 4gb. and hour journey at 320 (with is super clear) used less than a gb. onboard formatting or deleting is available too. the sound is great too. i put a bit of tape over the cam seams for waterproofing and a tiny bit sponge in mic input to cut down wind noise.

i mention the short cable earlier. i meant it has a micro usb connector not a micro sd....

4. #4 Re: sat nav and camera combo now with 3d ----GARMIN NUVI 2565 
    Chek out Kinomap, available for android and iPhone. It records geo-tagged videos.
    Free and easy!
    Andy

5. #5 Re: sat nav and camera combo now with 3d ----GARMIN NUVI 2565 
    Paul, you'd know if there was an offset. China has been doing this to foreign GPS maps for a long time -- forcing an offset of a couple hundred meters, presumably to prevent enemies from targeting things. If your English map were offset, you'd notice it.

sounds like you got a good setup with Garmin. What was the total cost out the door with the device and extra ram and various maps?

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

6. #6 Re: sat nav and camera combo now with 3d ----GARMIN NUVI 2565 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    you'd know if there was an offset. China has been doing this to foreign GPS maps for a long time -- forcing an offset of a couple hundred meters, presumably to prevent enemies from targeting things. If your English map were offset, you'd notice it.
    Mate just had his Garmin Zumo660 recalibrated by a Garmin technician in Beijing and works fine now, no offset.
    Quite funny as we got both our Garmin GPS at the same time (1x Garmin Zumo220 Australia / 1x Garmin660 Germany) and mine (Z220) was always spot on and his showed an offset roughly 450-600m. We swapped the Garmin micro map cards and my Z220 worked spot on with both map cards....

Word of advice, the Nuvi GPS units are not waterproof and gasoline splashes leave sometimes marks on the plastic, mate destroyed his Garmin Nuvi just going through one light rain shower.

7. #7 Re: sat nav and camera combo now with 3d ----GARMIN NUVI 2565 
    i tried the kin map things but i like the garmin advantage of all in one.. video with time date speed logged on and the fact that it doesn't use all my phone space up. plus the map update on iPhone is poor as is all the other sat nav features.' horses for courses '. also with the blu tooth feature you can use your phone on sat nav. so no taking gloves on and off to dial or answer and its on speaker phone. so all around can listen to how important we are when doing the ''internazionalll bizneuuuusman'' bit hahahahaha

the total cost was around 1550 yuan. the maps and data were all free. i have them with with 'gimgunlocker' to unlock them for all sat nvgs.. not that i wold consider offering them to anyone. as thats illegal you know....hmmm hmmm hmm
    extras
    1. cigy adapter - http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=14258048614
    2. waterproof bag - http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=14258048614
    3. connector - http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3759617568

if you MUST use or add your iPhone i use this too...great fixing and great usable case
    1. iphone - http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=...&cm_id=&pm_id=

8. #8 Re: sat nav and camera combo now with 3d ----GARMIN NUVI 2565 
    yeah i read loads about this offset stuff and pre downloaded all the maps and software to cure it. but honestly with my sat nav at 50ft i am spot on.on both maps.
    maybe cos its bought in china or whatever i don't know . but i walk with it and drive and its fine...

9. #9 Re: sat nav and camera combo now with 3d ----GARMIN NUVI 2565 
    Great price too! My zumo 660 set me back more than $700 when I bought it in the US a couple of years ago. I did get non-offset maps here in Shanghai, but it took a lot of toothpulling with the Garmin agents...
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #10 Re: sat nav and camera combo now with 3d ----GARMIN NUVI 2565 
    other software is
    1. garmin base camp..this allows you to pre log routes in all formats,walk,bus,car,cycle. etc etc nd upload them
    2.GDR pc tool. too upload video and pictures and play about n stuff
    3. comunicator plugin. to let your sat make friends win yr pc. no sex allowed
    4. travel guide.. free ebook and poi for gamins
    other pointless features like eco route n calculator to see how much fine or bribe you need to pay and converter oh and clock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast