Well, that was just a metaphorical way of breaking the unpleasant news to you -- that it's darn near impossible to bring a non-new bike into China. MCM is a tremendous repository of knowledge and up-to-date advice about al things motorcycling in China. One recent post reported on a 1 July regulation that flat-out prohibited import of bikes that are not new. Imports of new bikes are subject to duties of 100% or more, and some cities such as Guangzhou ban bikes outright. Shanghai follows a policy of restriction. There's a limited list of bikes that can be legally registered, and these are in two classes -- those that are restricted to parts of the city outside the inner ring road and those that want to ride within the ring road, which of course includes the central business district. The non-CBD Hu C plate will cost you maybe 20,000 RMB, while the Hu A plate is currently fetching 42,000 RMB or more. Yes, that's 12,000 more than I paid for my Jialing JH600.

There are a couple of tracks in the Shanghai suburbs, including a world-class Formula 1 circuit. And there are people, also in our forum, who can get you on the track -- more likely on one of their gray-market bikes than on your own.

My intention is not to frighten or depress you. This is simply the hand we are dealt. There are a growing number of us in Shanghai and many other cities who are riding daily, and enjoying the experience immensely. But, as I said in the intro, you need to check all expectations of "the way it works at home" before you arrive. Riding here is not like anywhere else. It's a blast, but pretty otherworldly.

Care for a toke?

cheers