Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Congratulations!!!! It seems like a great bike!
    I live in Taizhou, its not that far from Zhuji, how about we do some riding together one of these days? or maybe even a wee trip ;)

Quote Originally Posted by gjackson4431 View Post
    ....... especially exciting when the cars coming at you have forgotten to turn on their headlights.......
    hahah good one...."forgoten" hah

2. #12 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Just got back from a three day 500km trip through the mountains near the Xin'anjiang Reservoir. I had a great time. Most of it was highway getting there but on the way back i found some really nice steep one lane mountain roads. It got a bit icy near the top but there were no issues. I learned the bike seems most comfortable going about 70 or 80kmh at around 5500 to 6000rpm and the highest I've taken it so far was 125kmh. I think there was still a bit of power left too. At lower speeds it does alright too, it doesn't jump or lurch forward when going really slow as much as my old one did and can run smoothy around 20 and 30kmh.

This bike is supposed to have a 14L tank although i've never put more than 7lt in it. The gas gauge doesn't really work too well and often reads near empty when going above 70kmh. As for fuel economy I haven't done any exact calculations but i usually made it about 250km before the gas gauge read empty and i put between 6-7L in each time.

In Zhuji, I went and visited the parts guy and had a pleasant google translate conversation with him. He's part of the local harley club and he invited me on a 3000km trip that they're planning for the spring. No destination yet. I quizzed him on the location of the oil filter because i found that in my search for it I was told a few completely wrong things. The dealership said it was what i now know is the starter engine, and another guy said that it doesn't have one. He passed the test and told me that i don't need to replace it very often, just clean it. Im not really sure how accurate that is.

The blue bit in the headlight is just ornamental. Looks interesting though. And i'd definitely be up for another trip sometime soon. I was thinking that my next bit trip would be to the coast. I actually haven't been to the Pacific yet despite living in Vietnam and China for the past year. Do you have any plans for the New Year's holiday? I was thinking of going somewhere at the end of this month.

Anyway, here are some pictures from that last trip.

Last edited by gjackson4431; 01-06-2014 at 12:50 AM.
    Will the Zongshen RX3 survive??http://kelleyssilkroad.blogspot.com/

3. #13 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Im off to Japan in spring festival, dont want to be in China for it. Its an amazing experience to visit public transport in spring festival period yet experience I dont want to repeat ;)
    I guess we have to put it off, It would be nice to finally ride with someone tho

4. #14 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Seems like a nice size bike. What did it cost without the registration?
    Thanks!
    Honda Shadow 750, Yamaha XTZ 650cc, Royal Enfield 350cc, Loncin 150cc, BMW 650cc GS Dakar.

5. #15 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    There were three four things that I paid for when I bought the bike.
    The bike itself was 20800yuan and tax was about 1500.
    The insurance and registration worked out to be about 2000.

I thought it was a good deal. They did try to charge me about 30,000 the first time I went in there but I just showed them the listing for it on taobao and they quickly agreed to this price. You can also do a search for the bike in chinese and find that this is the factory recommended price.

6. #16 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    I have been trying to convince www.atv4usa.com to carry these, but Wade Liu, the owner, said they have a large stock of TMEC 200's that haven't been selling due to the cold weather in the US. The TMEC that is carried in the US does use a 200cc Zongshen engine, but it is not quite up to the level of this one but it has lasted me 7200 miles/11600 kms during 2013 (I bought the bike used in November 2012 with unknown mileage since the speedo cable was already broken ), so I know that the engine in the RX3 will be the last thing to worry about. Look forward to more reports and video if you feel like it...

7. #17 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Quote Originally Posted by gjackson4431 View Post

I thought it was a good deal. They did try to charge me about 30,000 the first time I went in there but I just showed them the listing for it on taobao and they quickly agreed to this price. You can also do a search for the bike in chinese and find that this is the factory recommended price.
    It really doesn't sound too high priced at 30,000 if you could have negotiated "out the door" with them at that price.

8. #18 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    I saw a blue RX3 for sale in one of the bike shops in Chongqing on Friday. Before I realised it I was drooling. It really is an awesome looking machine. Compared to most of the bikes on the road it does stand out. It cost 20800 RMB so I have to do some financial planning here. Plan to ask them if I can take it for a ride. They told me the tank was 16 l. I have the specs at home, will do a check. Power too.
    Chongqing
    '12 Lifan 250 P
    e-biker 48/64/72v
    '77 CB 750 F1
    '75 XL 250

9. #19 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    The blue one was my second choice.
    So far its been great for me. I haven't quite figured out that tank yet. It has a gas gauge on the display but it doesn't work properly. After filling up, once i get to about 60kmh the tank reads half empty. So that could be something but I've never been able to put more than 9L in it. My manual says it has a 15L tank and I can't find a switch for any reserve anywhere so I don't really know what the problem is. I think it might be that gas gauge though because i always end up putting very different amounts in when its on empty.
    One very good thing though I figured out that it will get about 2.2L/100km which is much better than I was expecting

10. #20 Re: Zongshen RX3 report 
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinggis101 View Post
    I saw a blue RX3 for sale in one of the bike shops in Chongqing on Friday. Before I realised it I was drooling. It really is an awesome looking machine. Compared to most of the bikes on the road it does stand out. It cost 20800 RMB so I have to do some financial planning here. Plan to ask them if I can take it for a ride. They told me the tank was 16 l. I have the specs at home, will do a check. Power too.
    I'm interested in this bike as well. I am definitely planning to buy something soon. I was set on the X2, but after I was told I can't get one until after Feb16 by Shineray, I realized maybe I would rather travel more than do motocross/supermoto stuff. Now I'm back to indecision. I do like the looks of that bike. One thing that concerns me is that it's relatively untested. I wish there was more information to be gleaned from your report. I don't see how the thing could possible weigh 175lb. Its price point is definitely more in my ballpark than the X5. The X5 seems overpriced to me. I also wonder that this bike may be a bit small for me - I'm 6'5" (1.95m). I'm guessing that they're going to make a version with a bigger engine? I'd like to see these bikes in person, but living in Guangzhou, it's almost impossible, and definitely a lot of trouble. I'm watching, waiting, reading...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast