Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Like many cities in mainland Ch!na (approx 173 cities give or take), Shanghai has in place various by-laws restricting or banning where motorcycles/motor-scooters may be ridden.

The following post and links pertain to;

1. Motorcycles/mopeds with out-of-town plates riding within Shanghai, and the restrictions to the movement/use within Shanghai motorcycle restricted zone.
    2. Motorcycles with Shanghai 'A' or 'B' plates, and the restriction to movement/use even in relation to the specific Shanghai motorcycle A/B restricted zone.
    3. Motorcycles with Shanghai 'C' plates, and the restriction to movement/use.

Link to map of the Shanghai motorcycle/moped restricted zone boundary.
    上海市外牌摩托车禁行区域详细图解2014-05-04 (Shanghai out-of-town plated motorcycles restricted area map 2014-05-04)

Map boundary posted in the next post that follows.

SH_1.jpg

悬挂外省市号牌的两轮摩托车(包括轻便摩托车)在本市道路上禁止通行的范围:自本市沪太路与江苏省交界处起 ,沿沪太路--宝钱公路--沪宜公路--外青松公路--沪青平公路--朱枫公路--亭枫公路--新卫公路--纬六路--沪杭公路至浙江省交界处所构成的范围内(不含上述道路)
    加上青浦区的青浦镇,朱家角镇地区,即自外青松公路与北青公路路口起,沿外青松公路--沪青平公路-盈朱路--赵青公路--北青公路至外青松公路所构成的范围内。(不含上述道路)

[Translation from above]
    Shanghai Restricted Zone Policy.
    4. Restriction concerning two wheeled motorcycle with out-of-town licence plate (includes light duty motorcycle/moped) Whereby such motorcycles/mopeds are banned. Boundary of ban is bounded by the following area/roads as described: JiangSu Province direction from intersection of HuTai Rd. proceeding long HuTai Rd. & BaoQian Rd. & HuYi Rd. & WaiQing Song Rd. & HuQingPing Rd. & ZhuFeng Rd. & TingFeng Rd. & XinWei Rd. & WeiLiu Rd. & HuHang Rd. -to- the area from Zhejiang HangZhou highway. In addition QingPu district, QingPu Town, ZhuJiaJiao Town area from the area outside QingSong Rd., & LvBei Rd. intersection onward to HuQingPing Rd. YingZhu Rd. ZhaoQing (Gong) Rd.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Verbose with link along with quick reference translations (translations may not be accurate - so no hate, thanks!), outlining the Shanghai Motorcycle/Moped Shanghai 'C' plate restricted zone.

http://www.police.sh.cn/shga/wzXxfbG...9cd8d0bb43e938

悬挂“沪C”号牌小客车、二轮摩托车及轻便摩托车在本市道路通行规定1、悬挂“沪C”号牌小客车禁止通行范 围:
      外环隧道(黄浦江边起向西)——外环线环北大道——外环线环西二大道——外环线环西 一大道——外环线环南一大道——杨高路立交——杨高南路——龙阳路立交——龙阳路——龙东大道——金桥路— —金桥立交——杨高中路——杨高北路到长江边所 构成的外环线道路范围内(含上述道路),全天禁止“沪C”号牌机动车辆驶入。
      悬挂“沪C”号牌客运出租车不得进入上述道路构成的范围内行驶,但可在外环线道路上行驶。

2、悬挂“沪C”号牌两轮摩托车禁止通行范围:
      全天禁止进入杨浦、虹口、闸北、普陀,长宁、徐汇、卢湾、黄浦、静安以及浦东新区的小陆家嘴、花木行政 中心、竹园商贸三个区域内的道路。

3、悬挂“沪C”号牌轻便摩托车禁止通行范围:
      禁止在中山环路(含中山环路)以内道路行驶。

Suspension 'Shanghai C' plate small passenger cars, two wheeled motorcycles and mopeds Shanghai road traffic regulations

'Shanghai C' plate closed to traffic range:

Outer Ring Tunnel (HuangPu River from the west) - North Outer Ring Rd. - Outer Ring Rd. West Second Avenue - and Outer Ring Rd. West - Outer Ring Rd. south - YangGao Rd. Interchange - Yanggao Rd. - Longyang Rd. Interchange - LongYang - Long Avenue - JinQiao Road - JinQiao Li - Young High School Road - within the scope of the Outer Ring Rd. Yang High Road to the Yangtze River (including the road), all-day ban 'Shanghai C' plate motorcycle/moped traffic.

Suspension 'Shanghai C' plate taxi passenger may drive into the range of road constructed above, but can travel on the Outer Ring Rd.

2. 'Shanghai C' license plate motorcycle traffic ban range:

Prohibited from entering during the day YangPu, HongKou, ZhaBei, PuTuo, ChangNing, XuHui, LuWan, HuangPu, Jing'An and PuDong LuJiaZui, the administrative center of the road Bamboo flowers commerce within the three regions.

3. 'Shanghai C' plate mopeds closed to traffic range:

Banned in ZhongShan loop (including ZhongShan loop) within the road.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Verbose with link along with quick reference translations (translations may not be accurate - so no hate, thanks!), outlining the Shanghai Motorcycle/Moped Shanghai 'A' / 'B' plate restricted zone.

http://www.police.sh.cn/shga/wzXxfbG...9cd8d0bb43e938

悬挂“沪A”、“沪B”号牌的两轮摩托车(包括“沪A”轻便摩托车)在本市道路通行规定(一)“三纵三横”城市主要干道

•  东纵:自中山南路陆家浜路路口起,沿中山南路——中山东二路——中山东一路——吴淞路——四平路至中山北 二路口。
    •   中纵:自鲁班路中山南路路口起,沿鲁班路——重庆南路——成都北路——共和新路至中山北路 口。
    •   西纵:自漕溪北路中山西路路口起,沿漕溪北路——华山路——江苏路——江苏北路——曹杨路至中山北路口 。
    •   南横:自陆家浜路中山南路路口起,沿陆家浜路——徐家汇路——肇嘉浜路——虹桥路至中山西 路口。
    •   中横:延安东路中山东一路路口起,沿延安东路——延安中路——延安西路至中山西路口。
    •   北横:周家嘴路黄兴路路口起,沿周家嘴路——海宁路——天目中路——天目西路——长寿路——长宁路至中 山西路口。

(二)五条机动车专用道的部分路段

淮海中路(西藏南路——常熟路)、衡山路和宝庆路(天平路——淮海中路)、世纪大道(延安东路隧道出口 ——杨高路)、北京东路和北京西路(中山东一路——万航渡路)、西藏北路、西藏中路和西藏南路(海宁路—— 复兴东路)。

(三)浦东新区的三个区域

小陆家嘴地区:由黄浦江边——浦东南路——东昌路至黄浦江边所构成的范围内(不含上述道路 );
      花木行政中心地区:由杨高路——花木路——锦绣路——民生路——杨高路所构成的范围内(不含上述道路) ;
      竹园商贸地区:由潍坊路——东方路——浦电路——源深路——潍坊路所构成的范围内(不含上 述道路)。

Suspension 'Shanghai A', 'Shanghai B' license plate of a motorcycle (including 'Shanghai A' moped) road traffic regulations in Shanghai city:

(A) 'three vertical (E<->W) and three horizontal (N<->S) Shanghai city's main roads

East Rift: from ZhongShan South Road junction from LuJiaBang along ZhongShan Rd. - ShanDong Rd. - Dong Yi - WuSong Rd. - SiPing Rd. to the intersection of ZhongShan North Second.

• N<->S: from ZhongShan Rd. LuBan Rd. junction onwards, along LuBan Road - ChongQing Rd - ChengDu Rd - GongHeXin Rd. to ZhongShan North junction.
    • Western boundary: from CaoxiBei Rd. ZhongShan Rd. intersection onwards, along CaoXiBei Rd. - HuaShan Rd - JiangSu Rd. - JiangSu Rd. - CaoYang Rd. to the intersection of ZhongShan North.
    • Southern Boundary: from ZhongShan Rd. junction from LuJia Bang Rd., along LuJiaBang Rd. - XuJiaHui Rd. - ZhaoJiaBang - HongQiao Rd to the intersection of ShanXi.
    • E<->W: YaNanDong Rd. ZhongShanDongYi intersection onwards, along YaNan Rd. - Yan'An Rd. - West Yan'An Rd to the intersection of ShanXi.
    • Northern boundary: ZhouJiaZui: HuangXing intersection onwards, along ZhouJiaZui - HaiNing Rd. - TianMu Rd. - TianMu Rd. - ChangShou Rd. - ChangNing Rd. to the intersection of ShanXi.

(B) sections of five vehicle lanes

HuaiHai Rd (South TiBet - ChangShu Rd), HengShan Rd and BaoQing Rd (Balance Rd - HuaiHai Rd), Century Avenue (Yan'An East Rd Tunnel exit - YangGao Rd), BeiJing East Rd and BeiJing Rd (the way in Shandong - WanHangDu), TiBet Rd, TiBet Rd and XiZang Rd (HaiNing Rd - FuXing Rd).

(C) three areas in Pudong

• Little LuJiaZui area: the HuangPu River - PuDong Rd - within the range of DongChang Rd to HuangPu River posed (excluding the road);
    • Flowers and administrative center of the region: YangGao Rd - Flowers Rd - JinXiu - MinSheng Rd - the range constituted YangGao Rd (excluding the road);
    • Yuen Trading areas: WeiFang Rd - East Rd - PuDian - YuanShen Rd - within the scope of WeiFang Rd posed (excluding the road).
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 06-19-2017 at 05:04 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

2. #2 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    Link to map of the Shanghai motorcycle/moped restricted zone boundary.

上海市外牌摩托车禁行区域详细图解20140504
    (Shanghai out-of-town plated motorcycle/moped (motor-scooter) restricted zone map 2014-05-04)

Map Key:

• The red line shown from N <-> S in pictures 1 through 5 are the boundary including names of the boundary road(s).
    • The solid red circle = motorcycle/moped with Shanghai (Hu) C plate (including motorcycle/moped with out-of-town plates) are forbidden to cross or access these intersections.
    • The broken green circle = motorcycle/moped with Shanghai (Hu) plate (includes motorcycle/moped with out-of-town plates) are allowed to cross or access these intersections.

SH_2.jpg
    Hu Tai Rd. & Bao Qian Rd.

SH-3.jpg
    Bao Qian Rd. & Hu Yi Rd. & Wai Qing Song Rd.

SH-4.jpg
    Wai Qing Song Rd. & Bei Qing Rd. & Qing Zhao Rd. & Cao Ying Rd. & Hu Qing Ping Rd.

SH-5.jpg
    Wai Qing Song Rd. & Hu Qing Ping Rd. & Zhu Feng Rd. & Ting Feng Rd. & Xin Wei Rd.

SH-6.jpg
    Zhu Feng Rd. & Ting Feng Rd. & Xin Wei Rd. & Wei Liu Rd. & Hu Hang Rd.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 04-29-2015 at 08:14 AM.
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #3 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    Footnote: if one considers the cost of buying a Shanghai A/B (~130,000CNY) versus C plate (~25,000CNY) or versus getting the bike plated with a legal 'out-of-town' plate for a fraction of the Shanghai extortion like prices.

The fine for getting caught riding a motorcycle or moped without the correct plates within any of the Shanghai restricted zone, or a motorcycle/moped equipped with the correct plate but ridden in violation/place forbidden within the restricted zone is 200CNY, therefore;

The cost of a Shanghai motorcycle A/B plate is equivalent to 650 traffic fines @ 200CNY each which equals the cost of purchasing (privilege) the A/B plate. 650 x 200 = 130,000CNY

The cost of a Shanghai motorcycle 'C' plate is equivalent to 125 traffic fines for violating the restricted zone @ 200CNY which equals the cost of purchasing (privilege) the C plate. 125 x 200 = 25,000CNY

Having a Shanghai (Hu) A/B motorcycle plate (inner Shanghai zone) doesn't allow said bike to ride without restriction within that zone despite paying for the privilege - meaning there are still roads forbidden to Shanghai A/B plated motorcycles/mopeds within the restricted zone.

Just sayin...
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 04-29-2015 at 08:02 AM.
    - Pablo Picasso

4. #4 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    Great information.
    So basically in Shanghai always get a plate from outside and never bother locally registering a bike if you have any connections outside the city. Do lots of right turns to avoid having to chat to the police unnecessarily, and always have a spare 200 yuan in cash. This will work out cheaper in the end unless you get caught over 125 times! LFZ.

I guess the car fine is higher and they have automatic camera based fines for those?

5. #5 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post

I guess the car fine is higher and they have automatic camera based fines for those?
    I don't think so, I live near the zhongshan park area in Shanghai and I could easily count 500 odd vehicles a hour passing through that doesn't have a shanghai plate. I mean, people need to come to Shanghai all the time from neighbouring jiangsu province. From what I understand you need to have you're ID registered in Shanghai to even get the plate.

The Shanghai plate is just a load of b****cks in my opinion.

If anyone is needing help registering a motorcycle on a plate other than a Shanghai one, feel free to contact me and I can help.

Josh

6. #6 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshmakesnoise View Post
    I don't think so, I live near the zhongshan park area in Shanghai and I could easily count 500 odd vehicles a hour passing through that doesn't have a shanghai plate. I mean, people need to come to Shanghai all the time from neighbouring jiangsu province. From what I understand you need to have you're ID registered in Shanghai to even get the plate.

The Shanghai plate is just a load of b****cks in my opinion.

If anyone is needing help registering a motorcycle on a plate other than a Shanghai one, feel free to contact me and I can help.

Josh
    I don't know much about Shanghai, but with Beijing the out-of-town cars have to stop by an office on the intersection of some various ring-roads and Expressways and buy a windscreen sticker allowing that vehicle to drive in Beijing or get some huge fine or other. Obviously being illogical car obsessed automatons there would be no similar facility for motorcycles.

7. #7 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    I don't know much about Shanghai, but with Beijing the out-of-town cars have to stop by an office on the intersection of some various ring-roads and Expressways and buy a windscreen sticker allowing that vehicle to drive in Beijing or get some huge fine or other. Obviously being illogical car obsessed automatons there would be no similar facility for motorcycles.
    This used to be the case in SH also. When I was undertaking my MBA in SH (through most of 2009), driving up most weekends over the period of that year, at the SH boundary with Zhejiang province, one not only paid for the Expressway 'toll' but also a special label that allowed the 'car' to be driven on SH roads - and I believe covered some form of insurance. I seem to recall the fee was an additional 50kuai. I still have one of those labels on my car windscreen (which had to be affixed to the top LHS) from 2009 I believe. It was one label allowing 24 hour access to some of SH roads (but not all). The same label had to be paid at any of the highway tollbooths heading into SH too so it was a little difficult to avoid (though there used to be one way to get round a highway toll back in the day if one could be bothered). Motorcycles though never had to pay this SH entry fee, which is why I attempted to ride my motorcycle from NB to SH as often as I was willing to put up with the 8 hour one way ride (three-four times as long as it took to drive the car on the Expressway).

I'm certain I drove to SH within the last year or two and remember being somewhat surprised that the label/fee were no longer required. I could be mistaken though. By the same token I have ridden to SH many many times since moving from SH (11 years ago) by motorcycle which had an out-of-town plate (NB, Zhejiang). Never once was I stopped/fined or had to explain myself to any SH authority, despite having ridden inside the restricted zone (People's Square, The Bund, Zhabei, Nanjing Dong Lu, Lui Jia Zui, et al. I think though I'd be able to show that I genuinely live outside SH, and would therefore be able to argue 'just visiting' with a high degree of confidence if I were/had been stopped by SH Traffic police.

Not saying such a defence would work, but I would argue the case.

I attempted a similar argument with the Traffic Police on the Zhejiang section of the G60 Expressway when I rode back from Thailand early March just gone, and was stopped/intercepted some 350km from home having already ridden some 3000+km on the Expressway from Xishuangbanna. I argued politely, I've a legal bike, legal plate, paid the exorbitant tax (~10K), insurance, have legal driver licence, and importantly if BJ national law does not forbid motorcycles from using Expressway, does it mean that Zhejiang by-laws trump the BJ national law. Or as I put it another way, is Zhejiang province not part of mainland China. Not to say it worked, though the Police did call the head of the Police to try and get a special clearance to allow me to continue - but failed. The Police tried to persuade me that the Expressway was a dangerous place to ride, and that a motorcycle would be safer ridden on the normal roads/highways... if it wasn't so sad such a statement would be laughable. Ironically as I rode several kilometres from where I'd exited the G60, I was almost T-boned by a vehicle that proceeded from a small side road driven by a clueless driver, who, as is customary round TIC failed to observe driving basics/fundamentals to look left and right. As I chant over and over, TIC the LFZ.

In recent years there are so many vehicles inside SH adorned with out-of-town plates (despite SH government policies to curtail such practice), that out of town plated vehicles are able to have inspections completed in SH without the need to return to the city/province from which the plate is from, to undertake said inspection. I don't believe this to be extended to out-of-town plated motorcycles/mopeds though.
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #8 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    The Police tried to persuade me that the Expressway was a dangerous place to ride, and that a motorcycle would be safer ridden on the normal roads/highways... if it wasn't so sad such a statement would be laughable.
    Much like petrol forecourt employees trying to convince me that lugging an open aluminum kettle of 10 liters of 97 octane across their forecourt is the safest option.

So utterly brainless that they sincerely believe doing something totally dangerous is safe and something safe is dangerous.

Banned
    In Qing yuan they don't fill tea pots thankfully

10. #10 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    C-Moto Senior
    Reads like the blind is leading the blind again..

Lets not forget demerit points as quite a few riders got demerit points for being in restricted areas with outside plates, adds up quickly 4 x three points and bingo!!!!

ride safe, PAL

ps: tickets / points were given by cameras and the friendly blokes dressed in blue....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast