Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: My new JH600

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
  1. #191 REAR SPROCKET 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    FRONT SPROCKET

I always wanted to try out more options with the chain transmission. I already had a larger rear sprocket built but so far I didn't look much at the front sprocket. One reason might be, that a smaller front sprocket would bring the chain even closer to the swing arm. So with the recent question from Prosa (and our mold-shop being in low season) I have picked up on that idea again.
    I do not know, which international motorcycle brand has the same shaft design as on our Jialing because then it would be easy to find a smaller or larger sprocket on the market.

- if anybody has information about this, please let us know -

Therefore the fastest option is to make a sprocket by ourselves on our milling machines. Here the design drawing:

I will show some pictures, once the part is done and tell you some more about the steel and treatment to make the sprocket durable.

Cheers,
    AW

REAR SPROCKET

I felt, that the torque could be better at low rpm and also, while riding slow through villages, 2nd gear is usually too high (loud engine), whereas the ride is too slow for third gear. In order to improve this, I was looking for a larger rear sprocket.

So far, I could not find out, if Jialing is using any of the "international bike models" sprocket dimensions as their standard or if they have developed their own style. Didn't spend much time on this yet. So if anybody has an idea - please let us know here.

Luckily I came across a blank aluminum race sprocket with 48 teeth, 3 more than on the original sprocket. All I had to do was a little milling job:

Of course I copied the original hub measurements and bolt positions.

Here you can see all sprockets and the new chain, which I replaced at the same time.

Rear sprocket original: 45
    Rear sprocket replacement: 48
    Front sprocket: 15

Of course, only 3 teeth larger, does not make a huge difference in the sprocket diameter as you can see on the picture above. The new sprocket is under the original one in front.

RIDING EXPERIENCE:
    Even though, the diameter difference is not that big, there is a noticeable change, when riding the bike. It is definitely more responsive now.

Next I will try to find a 14 teeth front sprocket - curious to see this difference then.

Cheers,
    AW.

UPDATE!!!

Hi,

I had a nice ride today to the coastal area of Lianjiang. This was the first ride to really test the new sprocket set-up in different conditions. By now its is decided for me 100%. This change is really upgrading the performance of the motorcycle towards my riding style. The biggest really feel-able feature is the increase in torque at lower rpm. Exactly what I need. You go at low rpm through villages or off-road, open the throttle and the response is there right away. In general you can ride the bike at much lower rpm now without the engine being "snappy" or shaking. Now it is even possible to get little drifts in bends off-road, just by twisting the throttle (sorry KTM and performance bike guys - this is not a given of the JH600 from the beginning - some clutch help is needed for that).

For some folk the down-side might be the lower max speed. However, this set-up gives 5300rpm at 110km/h - not too bad, considering the red starts at 8.000rpm.

I am really hyped about that change now and will start to research the standard, Jialing is using for this bike, so we can order nice after-market sprockets. Not sure how long my aluminum sprocket will last.

To give some of you a better understanding, of what it means to ride cross country roads in China, here some "impressions".

Yeah, this looks a bit steep - actually was riding that path of the previous picture above back again and had to stop for that picture....

Nothing happened - here she stands at the beach....

Well, of course, there are also "normal" roads. But where is the fun at fighting trucks and busses all the time and breathing black smoke?

Hope you like the pix.

Cheers,
    AW.

...back to overview.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Pfaelzer; 06-04-2012 at 06:32 AM.
    Modifications and talk around the JH600

My New JH600

2. #192 FENDER RAISER 
    Hello,

here just a brief update on the fender raiser. Originally this was made with bolts and spacer tubes. Now I am designing a nice CNC milling part.

WHEELS AND TIRES - edited 05-11-2010

Guess the part will be ready next week. More pictures to come then.

Greetings,
    AW.

My New JH600

3. #193 INNER BAGS 
    Hello,

just received a nice pair of inner bags - take a look at the details on the post below.

ALUMINUM PANNIERS - edited 05-12-2010

Next week I will be up in Fuzhou again. Hope to get the new front springs so I can post some more updates.

Cheers,
    AW.

My New JH600

4. #194 Re: Aluminum Panniers 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey Pfaelzer, will those boxs work on a both sides of a sidecar outfit (JH600B) or are they to wide to mount one between the sidecar and bike?

5. #195 Re: Aluminum Panniers 
    Quote Originally Posted by blazeafar View Post
    Hey Pfaelzer, will those boxs work on a both sides of a sidecar outfit (JH600B) or are they to wide to mount one between the sidecar and bike?
    Well, I think based on the picture only, there is not enough space but you might find a way to fit the 2nd box somewhere to the sidecar.

Here the dimensions:

42 liters per box
    42cm X 25cm X 40cm L X W X H including the cover

Including rack, the boxes add around 30cm to each side of the bike. Don't you think the sidecar has enough luggage space? Anyway, what is enough, right? Do you own a JH600B in Brazil?

Cheers,
    AW.

My New JH600

6. #196 Re: My new JH600 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi Pfaelzer, thanks for the rely.
    I do not own a Jialing but the JH600 has drawn my attention. Jialing does have partner company here in Brazil "Traxx" but currently do not produce the JH600, only the smaller bikes up 250cc.
    http://www.traxx.com.br/
    Late last year Traxx announced that they my produce the JH600 and JH600B some time this year but still no work on that yet.

As for the panniers; one can never have to much storage! No really I have no idea how much storage space there is in the hack, never seen one other than pictures.
    You are correct, it looks as though the pannier would not fit on the hack side of the bike, I had not seen a pic straight on from the back of the rig.

Anyway, thank for the info and your postings here are great, keep up the good work;
    TL

7. #197 REAR SPROCKET 
    Hi,

I was lucky today to get some time off for a little ride. Actually this is the first bigger ride with the new sprocket set-up on different road conditions. This ride really confirmed to me, that the larger rear sprocket is a modification, which totally makes the bike more suitable to my riding style. I want to keep the topics together, that's why I have edited the "REAR SPROCKET" post with these comments and some pictures of the today's ride. To give you an idea:

Here is the quick-link: REAR SPROCKET - edited 05-18-2010

Cheers,
    AW.

My New JH600

8. #198 Re: REAR SPROCKET 
    Nice, very interesting looking trail.

Edit: Noticed the link and watched all pictures. Really stunning places and a heaven for relaxed enduro driving. I just wonder if you drive in places like those without too much luggage, would it not be more fun with a light enduro? I can though understand it can be enjoyable to get around with that medium enduro too in its own way.
    Last edited by moilami; 05-18-2010 at 09:53 PM.

9. #199 Re: REAR SPROCKET 
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Edit: Noticed the link and watched all pictures. Really stunning places and a heaven for relaxed enduro driving. I just wonder if you drive in places like those without too much luggage, would it not be more fun with a light enduro? I can though understand it can be enjoyable to get around with that medium enduro too in its own way.
    Hi moilami,

you are right, sometimes a lighter bike could be more fun but as you say, it's also enjoyable to ride bigger bikes through rough areas. The thing is, there are also roads like this on a tour:

and this:

I got this XTR 250 of my friend here in the garage, which is rather small in its build. Fine for rough areas but on roads like those above - and to cover some distance - the JH600 suits me better. I know, there are guys touring on an XTR like Franki. BUT, there is a 40kg body weight difference between Franki and me - so if he rides the XTR fully loaded, his bike will still be lighter than me on an XTR without luggage... The XTR is still fun for me on little trails - I might consider to get a lighter bike too, for riding close to my place. So I fancy a bit with the Shineray 250, Enduro set-up (civil) with water-cooled engine. Just for the fun of it and also to find out more about the difference of this bike to a KLX 250 or the XTR250.

So far however, the JH600 is the only street-legal and registered bike I own in China and I'm having more and more fun with it.

Cheers,
    AW.

My New JH600

10. #200 Re: My new JH600 
    Looking at many of those roads I would suggest a para-wing or parachute add-on as the next accessory pack ...

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast