Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Paperwork for crossing the border 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    You have no idea the shit your about to pass through.
    What do you mean?

2. #12 Re: Paperwork for crossing the border 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob bigheadsnake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    No special paperwork needed. They did mention ATA but once I said I will not be bringing the bike back they let me through

here is a thread with a few pics from my trip
    As far as I know that China do not allow 2 hand vehicles to export to other Country so you cannot get a ATA if you say so.

Well if you really want to do so, you can pay for the deposit for the bike(about half price of your bike) and then go.

You cannot get your money back and the bike probably can not be registered in other country.
    Jialing 600 and CJ 650 Sidecar Owner.

3. #13 Re: Paperwork for crossing the border 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by bigheadsnake View Post
    As far as I know that China do not allow 2 hand vehicles to export to other Country so you cannot get a ATA if you say so.

Well if you really want to do so, you can pay for the deposit for the bike(about half price of your bike) and then go.

You cannot get your money back and the bike probably can not be registered in other country.
    I will have to look into this, as this can be a major show stopper. Not planning to return the bike to China, but I can get it registered in South Africa as a personal vehicle, so technically not an export. Definitely not willing to pay a deposit and lose it.

I did make contact with a shipping agent to look into sending it straight to SA, but they need a certification from Benelli that I won't copy the technology on the bike. WTF?

What was the experience of other folk who has actually done a trip like this? Prince 666?
    Benelli TRK502X

4. #14 Re: Paperwork for crossing the border 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    What makes people believe that the ATA deposit won't be paid back when you re-enter China?
    Last edited by ngali; 12-11-2018 at 04:42 AM. Reason: clarity

5. #15 Re: Paperwork for crossing the border 
    Yes I have the tee-shirt

Shandong to the UK and back taking in 25 other countries.

Carnet is only needed if you are going to come back to China with the bike? ( yes I know it's not meant to be used like that? but welcome to China).

Just list your question here and I do my best to answer them.
    Otherwise, if you pick your route were Carnet is not needed then you are good to go.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #16 Re: Paperwork for crossing the border 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Yes I have the tee-shirt

Shandong to the UK and back taking in 25 other countries.

Carnet is only needed if you are going to come back to China with the bike? ( yes I know it's not meant to be used like that? but welcome to China).

Just list your question here and I do my best to answer them.
    Otherwise, if you pick your route were Carnet is not needed then you are good to go.
    Thanks Prince, much appreciated. Ok, looks like it is on then. Intended route is through Kazakh, Russia, Georgia, Turkey, Greece, Italy onwards to Portugal. AFAIK no Carnet needed. I will just need visa for Kazakh, e-visa for Turkey and Schengen visa, being a South African.

What paperwork is needed for EU for the bike? I presume a TIP will be for the same length of time as my visa? From Portugal I haven't decided yet, hopefully my bike makes it, new Benelli TRK502X. Might head southwards through Africa, or ship somewhere, but have family in Portugal, so a base of some sorts.
    Benelli TRK502X

7. #17 Re: Paperwork for crossing the border 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar

Watching this with interest.

As Prince666 wrote TIC... hopefully when you attempt to exit out the border the PRC Customs officers will allow you to exit without the TIC ATA Carnet...
    If it turns into an issue, and they won't let you out, then could try to convince them using a PRC friend on the phone or similar who understands what you are trying to achieve i.e. leaving for good and not coming back with the bike etc or else head back into the warm arms of the motherland and try again another day or another time when a different shift of Custom officers are working and try again
    Perseverance is key TIC
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #18 Re: Paperwork for crossing the border 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Any thoughts on paperwork for Europe for the bike? TIP? How long is this valid? Thinking about moving on to Morocco after Europe, or ship the bike out.

I will also try to convert my Chinese licence into a South African one so I can get an IDP, might make things easier.
    Benelli TRK502X

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12