Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 311121314152333 ... LastLast
  1. #121 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    So far the bike is running well. put almost 700 km on it this weekend and that new chain has made a big difference. One concern I do have is that the front wheel tends to wobble a bit at speeds over 50-60 km/hr which makes me think I may need to check the balance - anyone else have the same issue?

Also - SPECIAL NEWS - I had an idiot drunk come walking by my brand new parked & locked bike Saturday night (just a few hours after my LONG ride around the lake areas) and he decided in his inebriated state that he needed to jump on my bike and try to get a feel for it. Well, the result was predictable ... he fell over and dropped the bike on himself. The damage included 1) scraped side (lug & bag rails), 2) broken mirror bracket, and 3) bent left footpeg. AND, it seems he hurt himself in the process because about 2M away he puked all over the parking area Sometimes I really wonder about this place.
    Sam --
    The older I get, the faster I was....
    2006 CJ750 Sidecar / 2012 Ducati MTSPP / 2013 SRX5

2. #122 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    One concern I do have is that the front wheel tends to wobble a bit at speeds over 50-60 km/hr which makes me think I may need to check the balance - anyone else have the same issue?

Hi Chinasam

The main reason a bike wheel wobble at this speed is "Balancing" but the woddle should of disappeared of at least got less at higher speeds but allso you need to consider it could be

1. wheel buckled and out of shape

2. front disc warped causing a wheel wobble

3. Tyre out shape causing wheel wobble

But try the Balancing first but look at the wheel when it is on the balancing manchine and check the wheel runs ture and see if the tyre looks ok when spinning around ....

Well good luck

sorry to hear about the damage on the bike did you find the guy ?
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #123 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    check your tire pressure first. On this slim 21" wheel that might be enough the create that behavior. Feels a bit like riding in soft sand.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

4. #124 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Thanks guys - I will check the pressure again and the overall shape of the wheel / tire tomorrow at the shop. From the checking so far, I'm leaning toward the wheel itself being just slightly off and may just need to have them swap it out for me.

No - sadly - the security guards know WHAT happened, but despite all the noise (alarm) and nearby camera, they were suspiciously unable to identify the *?~?M<&%.....Oh well, nothing too expensive, and now I guess I don't have to worry about scratching a NEW bike - Already Happened!!
    Sam --

5. #125 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Give us an update on this.

6. #126 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePope View Post
    Give us an update on this.
    Ok - Been a bit remiss about updating my progress on this new X5, but give me a break ...it's been frick'n HOT out there lately. Am up to about 2,000KM on her now and she seems to be settling in well.

Changing the oil to 20W50 really helps to reduce the rattle and noise in the gearbox, but I'm still suspicious something is off there. Did find one annoying rattle - turned out the gas cap rattles when accelerating and adding a layer of electrical tape around the edge fixed it.

The KnightRider shop came through for me and changed out the front wheel and now there is ZERO shimmy -- so just have to assume either the tire or the wheel itself was just slightly off. They also hooked up some cheap fog lights to the front forks for me -- they light me up like a Christmas tree when the roads get dark and the drivers get lazy. Next step is to get a separate switch for them so I can control them separately. May also look around for some better LED lights instead as these really pull a lot of juice.

NOTE - Best investment so far on this bike has been the Engine Lug / Frame bars - 500 RMB - Have now been side swiped TWICE by half-blind taxis swimming between lanes in Shanghai traffic, and both times those triangle bars sticking out from the sides have protected my legs completely. Yeah - they pulled some paint and added a few scratches , but not even a bruise on me and that is worth it. FYI - in one case, the cop that came by even forced the Taxi to cough up 50 RMB so I could fix the scratches!!
    Sam --

7. #127 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinasam View Post

NOTE - Best investment so far on this bike has been the Engine Lug / Frame bars - 500 RMB - Have now been side swiped TWICE by half-blind taxis swimming between lanes in Shanghai traffic, and both times those triangle bars sticking out from the sides have protected my legs completely. Yeah - they pulled some paint and added a few scratches , but not even a bruise on me and that is worth it. FYI - in one case, the cop that came by even forced the Taxi to cough up 50 RMB so I could fix the scratches!!
    Jesus, actually sideswiped? Were you lane-splitting? That's never happened to me, though I've nicked plenty of car mirrors squeezing through tight spots.

When you have a chance do please post pix of those frame bar engine shrouds. Or post a Taobao link.

Thanks!
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #128 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Will post some pics of the bars tomorrow as soon as I can. KR Shop sourced them for me from Taobao.

actually sideswiped? Were you lane-splitting?

Nope - I'm not in the habit of running between cause I'm so used to riding my CJ (which can't) These guys just flat out didn't see me and tried to merge into my lane. Probably a comb of me being in their blind spot and the fact that that bike is a bit taller than most.

9. #129 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    since 6000kmi tried to find the source of the ratteling vibration sound ...... happened to me only above 5.5k RPM..... And now you come and tell me its the gas cap. I will check that soonest.
    Can you send a link or photo of your LED stuff you attached incl. fog lights?
    Thanks.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

10. #130 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinasam View Post
    Will post some pics of the bars tomorrow as soon as I can. KR Shop sourced them for me from Taobao.

actually sideswiped? Were you lane-splitting?

Nope - I'm not in the habit of running between cause I'm so used to riding my CJ (which can't) These guys just flat out didn't see me and tried to merge into my lane. Probably a comb of me being in their blind spot and the fact that that bike is a bit taller than most.
    It seems you are confident that these collisions were not deliberate, and that brings a lot of comfort. How loud is your tailpipe, and your horn? This seems an instance where a loud exhaust is a real benefit.

glad you are safe.

cheers
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 311121314152333 ... LastLast