Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
NO, I disagree, it is not the only way.

Gra.
As I said, please prove me wrong. The tour companies have guanxi and laws to deal with. You will not be able to get around the laws, which clearly state that overlanders entering China must be accompanied by a registered guide. The tour companies use their guanxi to get the plates, licenses, insurance, visa's and relevant permits to do this.

It goes like this...

Example: You want a residence visa.
Step 1. Acquire a work permit or mary a local
Step 2. You can't get here until you show the documents from step 1.

To get plates:
Step 1. Provide the company registration license for the tour agency.
Step 2. Provide more documents.
Step 3. Submit license plate application

You can't get to step 3 until you achieve step 1

There are lots of procedures in place to ensure your friends do not achieve their goals without spending the money.

I will gladly buy all you guys a nice meal and lots of beers if you figure out how to legally import vehicles into China without going through, or having to pay the fees associated with a tour agency. You might be able to find an agency with really low fees that lets you wander off on your own, but I doubt they're going to risk losing their license. Some people here have started their own tour companies and are able to get the permits, but I think they still rely on a few "favours" to keep their business rolling.

I hate to be negative, but the chances of the Chinese gvt. letting people into Xinjiang, in private vehicles, unaccompanied, is pretty much zero.

Cheers!
ChinaV