Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
  1. #61 Re: QingQi (Qlink) 200GY Illustrated Valve Adjustment 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Tomorrow ill go to the mechanic again and show them the numbers, this time will watch them do it ;)

2. #62 Re: QingQi (Qlink) 200GY Illustrated Valve Adjustment 
    Here is the link to find what Yamaha dealers are in your area….
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com.cn/mc/de...B7%9E%E5%B8%82

3. #63 Re: QingQi (Qlink) 200GY Illustrated Valve Adjustment 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    I would go back to the mechanic and say
    你做了什么,是不正确的失去动力
    Jesus, MJH, 你是不是在幕后学中文?
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #64 Re: QingQi (Qlink) 200GY Illustrated Valve Adjustment 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Jesus, MJH, 你是不是在幕后学中文?
    Tell the people at Google translate.
    http://translate.google.com/#zh-CN/e...8A%A8%E5%8A%9B

5. #65 Re: QingQi (Qlink) 200GY Illustrated Valve Adjustment 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    So I went to yamaha dealer and told them to check my valves again. I said to myself that this time i will watch the guy do it. So he unscrew the valve covers and the two little cap. Then he started fiddling around the valves with a spanner. When I asked him if he needed a feeler gauge he laughed and said that he doesnt need it. He explained why but my Chinese isnt good enough to catch everything and the result is that i have no idea why he didnt need that gauge. 15min later the job was done and he said its all good.
    Im a bit confused, is there a way of adjusting the valves without a gauge? My YBR ia a 2012 model so maybe on the newer bikes this problem is solved some other way? I realy have no idea...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    So I went to yamaha dealer and told them to check my valves again. I said to myself that this time i will watch the guy do it. So he unscrew the valve covers and the two little cap. Then he started fiddling around the valves with a spanner. When I asked him if he needed a feeler gauge he laughed and said that he doesnt need it. He explained why but my Chinese isnt good enough to catch everything and the result is that i have no idea why he didnt need that gauge. 15min later the job was done and he said its all good.
    Im a bit confused, is there a way of adjusting the valves without a gauge? My YBR ia a 2012 model so maybe on the newer bikes this problem is solved some other way? I realy have no idea...
    No
    He is a twat Chinese mechanic
    I got laughed at when I borrowed feeler gauges, was told to just lift up n down to get clearance
    Total bullshit
    Once done correctly I had better smoother power and no more hesitations in high rpm
    Buy some do it your self it's no worse then paying a twat to do a bad job

7. #67 Re: QingQi (Qlink) 200GY Illustrated Valve Adjustment 
    Quote Originally Posted by NZBrakelathes View Post
    No
    He is a twat Chinese mechanic
    I got laughed at when I borrowed feeler gauges, was told to just lift up n down to get clearance
    Total bullshit
    Once done correctly I had better smoother power and no more hesitations in high rpm
    Buy some do it your self it's no worse then paying a twat to do a bad job
    +1

There are feeler gauges, and then there's the good old Chinese feeler method. I wouldn't want to count on the latter, but I did actually do it one time on a rental bike in Vietnam. Intake was tighter than a new bride so I set it by feel. There's an old saying that too loose is better than too tight, but why risk it.

BTW, you did sit in the shop all night and wait until morning when the engine was stone cold to adjust the valves... right?

Cheers!

8. #68 Re: QingQi (Qlink) 200GY Illustrated Valve Adjustment 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Ok then, looks like my bike needs to be checked properly. I have nearly 30k on the clock and it would seem that my mechanic was not fully honest with me. Id love to adjust the valves myself but Ive never done it so i might screw something up. Better not.
    I will PM bikerdoc later, he lives in a bigger city not far from me, maybe he knows some reliable mechanic there.
    Thanks for the info

9. #69 Re: QingQi (Qlink) 200GY Illustrated Valve Adjustment 
    One more thing....

I think it was mentioned earlier, but worth bringing up again. Almost every Chinese factory that has ever produced a specification guide has the exact same intake and exhaust clearances listed for every engine type ever made. If you have a QM200, use the specs from the Suzuki DR200. If you have a QM250, use the specs from the Suzuki TU250. If you have a Yamaha YBR250, find the specs from the YBR250 outside of China. Whatever bike you have, cross reference the engine to the exact model they copied from Japan. NEVER trust the specs from the Chinese factory unless you have personally talked to the engineer that designed the engine.

Cheers!

10. #70 Re: QingQi (Qlink) 200GY Illustrated Valve Adjustment 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Yeah, I read about this before.
    I have a service manual in Spanish for 2007 model. My model is 2012 but i dont think engine changed much so i will use those specs there. Thanks for the heads up and hope America treating you well!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast