Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Average revs for pull of on a twist and go automatic 
    Hi all,

Currently riding on a xingyue xy125t-11 automatic twist and go scooter.

I'm used to riding motorbikes so am a little unsure of the usual characteristics of an automatic scooter.

Basically my bike doesn't seem to start pulling off and moving until roughly 4000-4500 rpm. The bike idles at 2000rpm nicely. The power is nice and smooth too. Can anyone shed any light on this please

2. #2 Re: Average revs for pull of on a twist and go automatic 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hi. Although I am not familiar with your exact model, I've ridden a few auto-scoots. This seems unusual on two fronts:

1) The idle seems a bit high - I think it should be around 1000 rpm on most auto-scoots
    2) On the auto-scoots I have ridden, the initial "pull off" happens at about 1500 rpm. Then the "tranny/clutch" stays engaged throughout the entire rpm range (including below 1500 rpm) until you come to a complete stop

I am not a mechanic so I am not sure what needs to be adjusted on your bike, but it seems like something might need a few twists & turns, here and there. Are you inside China?

3. #3 Re: Average revs for pull of on a twist and go automatic 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1986 View Post
    Hi all,
    Currently riding on a xingyue xy125t-11 automatic twist and go scooter.
    I'm used to riding motorbikes so am a little unsure of the usual characteristics of an automatic scooter.
    Basically my bike doesn't seem to start pulling off and moving until roughly 4000-4500 rpm. The bike idles at 2000rpm nicely. The power is nice and smooth too. Can anyone shed any light on this please
    The average idle on a scoot of that displacement is around 1500 RPM, which is somewhat higher than the 800-1000 RPM of motorcycles. Most scooters standard variator's are designed to engage fairly high up the rev range, though 4000-4500 RPM is too high. Does you scoot have a rev counter/tachometer so you are certain of the revs? You might like to check either the final drive belt, &/or the CVT and if you find that they are well within their respective service periods then consider buying and installing an after market variator that engages fairly quickly when the throttle engages.
    To understand how CVT and variator's work, there's a great explanation and diagram that will explain it more clearly than I can... check here and also here

I've a JinJian Startrek 125cc 4 stroke scooter, and the variator engages somewhere around 2000-2500... when the engine is warm. There's some great shops in SH that have all kinds of aftermarket parts for scooters, and I had a lighter more responsive imported Taiwanese variator installed (along with lots of other trick parts) when I once had ridden that scooter from Ningbo - SH.

Hope that helps

4. #4 Re: Average revs for pull of on a twist and go automatic 
    Hi thanks for that. Forgot to say that the pull off I explained was from cold. The more I rode it the better it seemed to get. Don't really understand the final drive thing and variation but will have a read up. I'm a four stroke engineer so should be able to work it out. Thanks for your help