Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 575 of 634 FirstFirst ... 425525555565573574575576577585595625 ... LastLast
Results 5,741 to 5,750 of 6336
  1. #5741 Re: Look out below...... 
    yep..

2. #5742 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey everyone!
    I'm looking to get one of these D 250 RTB as the first bikes for me and my girlfriend. The scooterdepot site isn't up any more is seems, and the site I went to buy my first scooter ( powersportmax) doesn't sell this particular model. Any recommendations on a good reputable site that sells and delivers these motorcycles.
    P.S. I know CCW sales a cery polished version of it but that is about $1200 more, I also know that I could probably get a nice used bike for a similar price. I'm not interested in that I'm interested in these bikes because if I don't like riding it isn't a big investment for me or my girlfriend.

3. #5743 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Jer,
    The place where bought my two DF250RTBs doesn't appear to sell them anymore so I don't know of a source.

I like my DF but would not recommend it as a first motorcycle. IMHO you would be better off with small used Japanese bikes.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

4. #5744 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    Jer,
    The place where bought my two DF250RTBs doesn't appear to sell them anymore so I don't know of a source.

I like my DF but would not recommend it as a first motorcycle. IMHO you would be better off with small used Japanese bikes.
    Best advise yet !

If you buy from a dealer,the motorcycle will be road worthy,safe,etc. They might even take it back if you do not like it.
    2011 Yamaha Star 250
    2010 DF 250 Bobber (sold)
    2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
    1993 Kawasaki Vulcan88(sold)

5. #5745 Anyone have an explination to this nonsensical Chargine system? 
    Quick question for anyone who has dove in to it...
    whats up with the charging system on this bike...

My bike has never been able to charge the battery so i finally took a minute to take a look.
    First of all there is a separate rectifier, ok fine, but at least on my bike both input phases are spliced together?!?
    WTF... its already a weak single phase, and then halved...

Then by process of elimination that other thing is the regulator, but everything i find on the internet states its both.
    Plus its a 6 wire, so this confuses me i cant figure what this would be other than a 3 phase input R/R which would make no sense.

This makes no sense. Cant make heads or tails of this so ill pull everything and rewire.
    i have to solve this charging problem and will take the opportunity to beef up wiring and move everything together.

But I would love a explicit explanation to this if someone has it...

6. #5746 Stator 
    Alright so i pulled the stator and confirmed it is indeed a 3 phase 12 coil part.
    The flywheel has 8 magnetic poles, so it is what it is...

The diagram in the manual has a single phase, so shame on me for believing that.
    Maybe the auto choke and fuel gauge should have tipped me off its for a different engine entirely.

One of my 3 lead wires came loose where it was soldered to its coil, slipped right out.
    Soldered it back up, and drowned it in JB weld.
    Like new, 0.8Ω per coil.

Lose one line and you lose not 1 but 2 phases, the varying voltage finds even more impedance from the inductive load (headlight) making things worse.
    Im expecting my dimming as well as charging problem to go away

Also, its worth noting that one of the stator cover bolts is BEHIND the starter gear cover. That means taking off the 3 bolts to the starter gear, removing the starter gear and you'll see it.

I sure wish all this info was in one place without all the nonsense that often pops up.
    Last edited by axa; 04-18-2016 at 10:07 PM.
    2012 DF250RTB_B with Yamaha XV250 V-twin
    1998 XVS650 (For Sale)
    2003 LS650 with Voodoo Vintage hardtail

7. #5747 Re: Look out below...... 
    axa,
    Good job on fixing your charging problem. I am completely ignorant of the charging system on the DF and hope to remain that way, knock on wood!
    I could not see your photos. Seems to be a problem with the forum as some said that I posted some photos that they could not see.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

8. #5748 Re: Look out below...... 
    C-Moto Regular
    Anyone ever replaced the clutch cable on this bike. I went to start mine for the 1st time this spring and the cable broke. Any replacement cables that are known to work?

9. #5749 stator issues: 
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    axa,
    Good job on fixing your charging problem. I am completely ignorant of the charging system on the DF and hope to remain that way, knock on wood!
    I could not see your photos. Seems to be a problem with the forum as some said that I posted some photos that they could not see.
    Well strangely i could see my pic at home, but not here at work, and thankfully i can sure see your last pic everywhere; i like to think that was an authentic vintage photo and that chicks rack was just as authentic, but Ive had my way with too many top ends and know better ...

well do not congratulate me too fast, I suppose i should know alot more about electronics having an EE degree, but lost interest in it right out of school and don't care to get into it more than my work coding makes me, but i know enough its worth noting a few things for others...

If you have a dimming headlight problem when the engine is revved up, occam's razor says its a single open stator coil. (which is easy enough to test)
    And its for the reason is stated in my previous post.

basic ohms law lead me to believe that no matter what, if the stator is partially working even with only 1 remaining coil, the amplitude of each oscillation should increase with higher rpm, so a stator problem, open or short, should never result in it a dimming headlight.
    But i should have been looking at impedance rather than resistance.
    With one phase out, the time between peak oscillations increases by 300%, resulting in even less of a dc signal than it was before. The headlight is basically an inductive load, and now with basically an AC signal and the 'impedance' increases with the now faster oscillation frequency, that being the higher rpm, so it proved to resist current in the circuit and transmit less power to the headlight.
    I suppose with a floating ground things could be different, but the bike has a common ground to everything, the frame. And I'm sure its not beyond reason that a dimming headlight could be caused by something else, do a google search and you will find all sorts of opinions, but again occam's razor wins over random opinions.

Also a poorly charging battery is inline with this problem (another inductive load) but its after the secondary rectifier and just much less obvious than seeing your headlight dim...

My halogen triangle headlight really shines now..
    I should note that the first thing i did was run out and buy a new regulator last year 12$, then a 40$ set of fog lights...
    i thought i already learned that lesson, but i just learned it again.
    1998 XVS650 (For Sale)

10. #5750 Re: Look out below...... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Babyswiss View Post
    Anyone ever replaced the clutch cable on this bike. I went to start mine for the 1st time this spring and the cable broke. Any replacement cables that are known to work?
    Hate to be one of those who give opinion without direct knowledge but what i just learned in looking for a new stator, is take the broken cable off the bike, take measurements, total length and the size of the end pieces whatever they are called, and search ebay asking sellers to confirm these dimensions.

you wont get the right size just searching cg250 or 167fmm because its really up to the risers and handle bars you have.
    I rarely t even get the right stator that should have come up with either of those terms.

Also, you could always buy a universal or emergency cable kit. Also Ive even brazed such things back together...
    Last edited by axa; 04-18-2016 at 08:59 PM.
    1998 XVS650 (For Sale)