Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by infralin2 View Post
    That would be nice! The timing doesn't match, but March is still some time away, lets see how things develop.

In Europe the YBR125 is now sold as YS125 (slightlly different engine, style changes as with every new model, but for the rest very much like the YBR125. I checked the yamaha cn site (with the help of the translator of course) and it also shows the YS125 (http://www.yamaha-motor.com.cn/mc/pr..._qs_ys125.html). Does that mean that this model is indeed sold in China? According to the specs it does have EFI.

The site also lists dealers per province and cities (http://www.yamaha-motor.com.cn/mc/index.html). Not sure if I understood things correctly, but I did not find any dealer in Hainan. I did find some in Yunnan, but not in Kunming.

My first priority now is to get in contact with a dealer who can confirm that the YS125 can be purchased in China. Then find a way to get it registered. I intend to order the bikes before arriving. It is unlikely they keep two exactly the same bikes in store.
    I suggest you should consider the YS150 a little bigger and around 9000¥ new and easily available and I know the Yamaha guys here in Chengdu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. #32 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    On a ride up the very north of China just now, and come across these 3 Chinese guy riding on the toll road.
    Pictures of bikes and set up.
    Worth a look because if these guys consider the bikes to be capable of such a trip them surely as in Rome so to speak.
    Cost 5000 RMB.

OI003036.jpg

OI003037.jpg

OI003043.jpg

The other blue bike is a GW 250 very nice bike but cost a bit more but is EFI and ABS.

OI003034.jpg
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #33 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    Cool stuff, thanks :)

4. #34 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    Whats the deal with riding on the express ways like the G50? Can we still sneak on with minimal repercussions?

5. #35 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    Quote Originally Posted by zman View Post
    Whats the deal with riding on the express ways like the G50? Can we still sneak on with minimal repercussions?
    I think by now i have rode on Toll roads in nearly every province now.
    Some province are very resictive and do make life very hard Indeed.
    I have found over the last few days riding on toll roads North West of Beijing and further North is much more easey compared to other provinces.
    Not sure If the G50 was 1 I have rode on the last few days.
    Just too many to remember lol

Just out off Interest I was adding up roughly the total KM I have riden on toll roads over the years.
    And I have come to a amount of nearly 100.000 km in last 9 years .
    Normaly the fee for cars, to which if you do pay for the bike is about 1/2 rmb per 1 km.
    So there for I like to thank the Chinese Government for the saving I made by not paying.
    Worked it out I got my new 650 MT free. heheheh

P.s. Just checked the map, and yes I have rode the G 50 from Chongqing to SH before.

Province tolls can be problematic and Getting near SH is a no no.
    It all depends how determing you are ?
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #36 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have been offline for a while since i have been traveling in the meantime. Made among others a trip to Iceland (from Holland to Denmark and with the ferry to the Faroer Islands and Iceland). Traveled over 4300 km on that single trip on my YBR125 doing 300 km/day on average not taking highways. It was also a test for my upcoming China trip, planning to use a similar motorcycle. Although I am not small (1.92m) the bike turned out to be quite comfortable, but I did construct myself a much wider and higher alternative for the original buddyseat. I also mounted a crash bar, mirror extenders, telephone holder with usb charger and a (home made) rain cover and a set of (camel) bags (Ortlieb). The original Chinese tires turned out to be very sensitive to ridges in the tarmac and stones on gravel roads. I changed them for Michelins which performed very nice. The bike is 4 years old but only did some 4000 km before I left. I didn't have any mechanical issues whatsoever.
    Here is a link to a report on the trip (in Dutch I am afraid): URL="https://ijsland2017site.wordpress.com/"]https://ijsland2017site.wordpress.com/[/URL]
    And a picture of the bike on Iceland:
    img_20170829_153021120_hdr.jpg
    Attached Images

7. #37 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    looks good Linden.
    Not long now keep us posted with further developments

8. #38 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    Banned
    What length of stay on the Visa? Temp license from what I know is only for car rental and thats what was enforced in Chengdu yet I did by accident get C1E
    If you have a 90 day stay just do the damn license fully, some basic paperwork etc and 1 test and you have a fully legal license etc. It will depend on where you stay and get the papers to prove to police you live at that address. I just saw a thread about getting a license converted in Beijing and your Netherlands license will need to be car and motorcycle which then can be done to C1E or D depending what you ask for.
    C1 is car E is 2 wheel bikes and smaller D is 3 wheel bikes and all other classes below.

Belgium and France don't require a test to my knowledge and I don't know if there are any other countries - Netherlands sure needs a test as I have mates from there (I have a NL car license and a NZ Car and bike so I did my NZ license)

Quote Originally Posted by infralin2 View Post
    Hi,

I am planning to make a motorcycle trip in China and from China back to Europe in the first half of 2018, with my wife on two small motorocycles. We are from The Netherlands and will have a 3-month visum for China. Global plan as of now is:
    - Fly to Beijing and get a temporary divers license (I understand on the airport I should be able to get one within a couple of hours, I presume it is possible in other places as well, but there it might take much longer).
    - Take the train to somewhere in the south-east part of China.
    - Buy two small motororcycles there, preferable new and with a European type approval, so I can register and keep on using them when back home (e.g. YBR125, I am familiar with that one). But otherwise a cheaper or secondhand bike that I will scrap in the end might do as well.
    - Get the license and insurance for the motorcycle. I do understand that getting license plates in my own name will be impossible with a 3 month visum. I am thinking of a formal rental agreement, with the rental fee covering the purchase and other costs of the bikes, to circumvent that issue.
    - Drive through the south, mid-west and north-west of China, towards the border of Kazachstan, skipping the city centers, and from there back to Europe.

Could anyone of you recommend me a Yamaha dealer or other motocycle shop somewhere in the south-east of China that could help me with this? Since I don't speak Chinese myself it would be helpfull if someone at the shop would speak English of course.

Thanks!

Gijsbert

9. #39 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for your feedback! My visa will be for 90 days max. I understand I will not be able to get a full license with such a visa. I am planning to get a temporary C1D or C1E license at Beijing International Airport (I do have a similar driving license back home). Some sources (but not all) tell me they will only provide a temporary license for a car, not for a motorcycle. In that case I will settle for that and hope, if stopped, to convince the police of my good intentions with that driving license and a translation of my original one.

10. #40 Re: Buying a motorcycle and traveling China on a temporary visa 
    Banned
    Sorry you are wrong but I can make it right if you come to Chengdu, Here a license can be converted for 90 days per stay visa and here you CANNOT get Temp motorcycle license, and my understanding is that all China is meant to be the same.
    I can get you registered at our home then get you the legal license etc assuming you pass the test, I can get and legally make you a Yamaha or other bike legally in your name with all papers documents and insurance etc.
    I do motorcycle stuff in Chengdu (When it isn't retards asking or saying stupid shit etc)
    Anyway I am going on the info that states you can have 90 days per stay each time you enter - If this isn't correct then my advise is nil and void.
    I do charge for my work etc but I think you will find it reasonable - All things with a license and all fee's 1000 yuan per person also a bike plus costs and 1000 yuan per bike - ALL legal in YOUR name etc.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast