Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Project: Honda Cub Restoration 
    C-Moto Noob
    Introduction
    This is my first post on MyChinaMoto.com, I just joined today. I've been living in Shanghai for a couple of years, and last year picked up a Honda Cub from a friend leaving the country.

I haven't seen many Cubs - if any - in Shanghai since I've been here, so either they're not popular in China (as compared to southeast Asia) or Honda never seriously sold them here. In any case, the Cub is in pretty rough shape: I've left it under a tarp for a year and it hadn't been ridden for a year or two before that. I won't try to fire it up right now, I'm certain the fuel is stale. The wiring is ratty, and some of the brightwork is looking pretty poor.

I came across this site while searching for toolkit suppliers in Shanghai, since I'm just not fluent enough in Chinese to search for and negotiate for the right tool set and I want to kick-off a rebuild of the Cub.

I'll document the project as I go (should post up my first photos next weekend) in this thread. This will be my first such project, so I'd appreciate any advice that people here have.

Objectives
    1. Learn about the bike - I figure the Cub is about as simple as they come, and so I'll use this project to improve my mechanical skills. I had a modern Triumph Bonneville back home, but that's hardly the same; and although I have an engineering degree, it's more theoretical than practical.
    2. Improve my skills - Ultimately I'd like to be able to take on some more ambitious projects. The worst I could do to this Cub is ... well, it can't really get much worse. I guess the worst would be if I somehow injured myself.
    3. Maybe get to ride it - I haven't yet read the forums on licensing and registration, but I have no plate, registration, fa piao, or proof of purchase. So if it turns out to be impossible to register, that's fine: I'll be happy just to have restored it to running condition.

Sources

Appreciate any help or comments about parts, the project, or licensing and registration. Anybody else on this board have a Cub?

Up next: Photos, assessment, clean-up, and then disassembly. And the resultant mess.

2. #2 Re: Project: Honda Cub Restoration 
    Quote Originally Posted by normalzocker View Post
    ...I haven't seen many Cubs - if any - in Shanghai since I've been here, so either they're not popular in China (as compared to southeast Asia) or Honda never seriously sold them here...
    Depends on region , some area are quite popular . This type is called as 弯梁车 in chinese. Dayang (大阳) was a popular brand, their thai investor had good relation w/ Honda in Thailand . Just search taobao.com & copy "keywords" b4 u f***ed in "parts city".
    Licensing and registration Forget it--Ride as much as u can & sold it to rural area that don't care these senior citizen's mule when u don't like it.
    Last edited by humanbeing; 03-21-2011 at 12:04 AM.

3. #3 Re: Project: Honda Cub Restoration 
    Quote Originally Posted by normalzocker View Post
    Introduction
    I haven't yet read the forums on licensing and registration, but I have no plate, registration, fa piao, or proof of purchase. So if it turns out to be impossible to register, that's fine: I'll be happy just to have restored it to running condition.
    Welcome to the forum. 'Humanbeing' is correct, as always.
    I'm not in China so some things will be answered best by folk already there and there are many posts here about licensing, Shanghai and more that will occupy you.
    There is an informal group of Shanghai members who between them know everything about the whole Universe, they even meet and share that with one another over a beer.
    Maybe even one or two who would enjoy looking over your shoulder as you rip bits of skin from your knuckles and drop tiny pieces of engine into inaccessible places.
    I don't know that bike but if Humanbeing says they are around as 弯梁车 (CUB) or Dayang, then they are and that means bits can be found, fabricated, turned into ashtrays and lampstands.
    Who knows if it will ever run? In some way or another, of course it can be made to run, nothing on a 'bike takes much effort (FLW).
    And Shanghai Inner, to get suited and riding, plated and all, all legal and so on in will cost a total of over 50000rmb, far less for Outer. Not that you will ever get that thing licensed without some paperwork, however, for a price and help in 'looking', the paperwork will turn up in amazing places.
    Sounds like a fun hobby for a weekend or six.
    btw if it is the 50cc, there may just be exemptions and wangles, if it is 90cc probably not.
    Nice introduction, thanks, now we want pics. Even blurry shots of rusty machines turn on some here.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

4. #4 Re: Project: Honda Cub Restoration 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Zocker,

Looks like a noble project. I've seen a few of those around in Shanghai, never plated. These surely fall into that gray area of "too small to bother", which of course goes against all the good advice about getting registered etc etc in this forum. If it's under 50cc, it falls under a different set of registration rules, but if HB says it cannot be registered, that's probably a death knell to this idea. You might find that the local authorities also take a similarly benign attitude toward a sub-50cc bike -- especially one that's so damned cute.

I'd suggest/hope that you DO explore the idea of registration if it's 50cc or less, as this will provide for all of us some answers to questions that up to now have not been tackled.

Good luck with the project, and keeping the skin on your knuckles!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: Project: Honda Cub Restoration 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    A very interesting project indeed. I consider myself another "engineer" that has less practical experience than your average wrench monkey. If I would convince the misses to ride her own bike, i would sell my bike and get two 100cc cubs. I can't find the url, but I remember not too long ago coming across a site that was organizing tours around Australia on ~100cc hondas.

Until then, I'm just here to

6. #6 Re: Project: Honda Cub Restoration 
    Welcome to the forum. A nice project you have but pics please or you don't have it.

My friend bought a Cub to his Thai GF and then later she and two her friends crashed with it while being drunken and without helmets and stuff, but it was just "destiny", I heard. So I think it is "destiny" will you get your bike working or not.

7. #7 Re: Project: Honda Cub Restoration 
    C-Moto Senior
    There is a restored Cub in the shop next door to my shop in Beijing. If you're ever in Beijing stop by. I'm guessing they'd be glad to give you some tips about parts etc...
    Regds,
    Jim
    www.bmwsidecar.com

8. #8 Re: Project: Honda Cub Restoration 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the support! I'm out of town currently, so I can't post the pictures ... I will be back in Shanghai mid-next week, and I can post then.

9. #9 Re: Project: Honda Cub Restoration 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    I can't find the url, but I remember not too long ago coming across a site that was organizing tours around Australia on ~100cc hondas.
    http://www.postiebikechallenge.org

Ride safe! PAL

10. #10 Re: Project: Honda Cub Restoration 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    Yup, that's it.
    And here's a post about a guy called nathan who went all the way to London on his postie. Just realized it's not the same as your cub, but close enough, goes to show what small bikes can do.