Definitely get the new passport first.

1) Short term Lisc - You can't get a local DL based on just a Tourist Visa - has to be some kind of working visa or resident visa to process a local DL. Only short term option would be to get a AAA International Lisc while you are in Europe before you arrive (good for up to 1 yr I think and pretty cheap).

2) Moto Lisc - Even with a full Car and Moto Lisc you will still need to take the test - it will be offered in English if you're in a major city. Standard is for them to offer it as a computer test of 100 Questions from a pool of 1,500 potentials. You can download and study the Questions and answers in advance but there is no actual textbook to study. When I took the test the questions for both the Car and Moto tests were the same - not sure why they bothered making me take the test twice. You have to score a 90% or better out of 100 to pass.

3) Buy a Bike - To buy a bike you will definitely need a 1 yr resident or work visa - basic requirement to officially OWNING property in China.

4) Definitely get a new passport NOW before you do anything with Chinese Visas or attempt to get a DL here. Waste of time an money to add any PRC Visa to a passport with less than 1 yr validity.