Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: kinlon sprocket job ... blimey, i did it! 
    I don't really understand this Slabo. Are we miscommunicating, I can be a bit thick at times!? Anything that comes off the wheel like sprocket or disc has to pass over the axle so it needs removal unless, like chain, it breaks apart? Even that is easier with the bike up. But it is simple enough. Believe me, if I can do it you can or a Chinese mechanic can. I am actually scared of machanical work since I rewired the twelve-volt doorbell to the mains power at age nine and set light to the hall way requiring a fire engine. I sort of look at machinery of all kinds and my mind goes two dimensional and shudders.

The stand concerns? It is a heavy bike for me as I have a few discs gone and can't stand or walk very well even on a good day - but I get a milk crate and sort of wiggle it on then lean, lift and push bike into a stable, solid working position. There is some weight to lift but I manage and have used a car jack to lift it before but that was more chancy. I will get a simple lever or hydraulic stand one day when I see one on special. I have done this a few times with no disasters, get it into the right place under engine and nothing is trapped.

The rear shaft if that is the one you mean, undoes with a bit of leverage from a solid shifter while on the ground, and in fact I had enough resistance when tyre gripped between my legs, wheel off the ground, to apply the rear axle torque (about 70 ftlbs). I can't understand why any equipped mechanic, even in China, wouldn't have the right stand, either leverage type or hydraulic, and wouldn't have the basic tools? Certainly should have a crate or something out the back somewhere! The front sprocket shaft is a well known problem on many bikes but doesn't need removal for any chain, sprocket or rear wheel work.

Good luck with travelling and settling back quickly. And good luck with finding the faults. Usually it is something simple (and obvious in hindsight). Most testing is just the boring and time consuming logic of isolation. Lets hope you are (in this case) as stupid as me and it is the kill switch (which my brain keeps seeing as 'off' when i look at it, even with full mental capacity ...) Of course I move switch the wrong way which means no start. I do it all the time and still get it wrong! same with the choke, i had to paint a blob on the bar to remind me as many times my brain fades and it looks all wrong! Then when I do get it started I ride away from the store in embarrassment and forget to turn on the fuel so I get right into the middle of the long, leaning, sweeping bend up the road over the tight stone railway bridge six inches from the wall, and engine dies again, usually with a few cars close up behind me because it is my village and I stick to speed limit when no-one else does. I am getting on, and did lots of dope when a kid, whats your excuse?
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

2. #12 Re: kinlon sprocket job ... blimey, i did it! 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    I can't understand why any equipped mechanic, even in China, wouldn't have the right stand, either leverage type or hydraulic, and wouldn't have the basic tools?
    Bike lift at a Chinese moto shop... surely you jest? Once you visit here it will become clear why such simple things are impossible. Then again, you will also probably get a chance to see someone drop a transmission from a truck, in the middle of the highway, with a lug wrench and pliers.

TIC

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #13 Re: kinlon sprocket job ... blimey, i did it! 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    I don't really understand this Slabo. Are we miscommunicating, I can be a bit thick at times!? Anything that comes off the wheel like sprocket or disc has to pass over the axle so it needs removal unless, like chain, it breaks apart? Even that is easier with the bike up. But it is simple enough. Believe me, if I can do it you can or a Chinese mechanic can. I am actually scared of machanical work since I rewired the twelve-volt doorbell to the mains power at age nine and set light to the hall way requiring a fire engine. I sort of look at machinery of all kinds and my mind goes two dimensional and shudders.

The stand concerns? It is a heavy bike for me as I have a few discs gone and can't stand or walk very well even on a good day - but I get a milk crate and sort of wiggle it on then lean, lift and push bike into a stable, solid working position. There is some weight to lift but I manage and have used a car jack to lift it before but that was more chancy. I will get a simple lever or hydraulic stand one day when I see one on special. I have done this a few times with no disasters, get it into the right place under engine and nothing is trapped.

The rear shaft if that is the one you mean, undoes with a bit of leverage from a solid shifter while on the ground, and in fact I had enough resistance when tyre gripped between my legs, wheel off the ground, to apply the rear axle torque (about 70 ftlbs). I can't understand why any equipped mechanic, even in China, wouldn't have the right stand, either leverage type or hydraulic, and wouldn't have the basic tools? Certainly should have a crate or something out the back somewhere! The front sprocket shaft is a well known problem on many bikes but doesn't need removal for any chain, sprocket or rear wheel work.

Good luck with travelling and settling back quickly. And good luck with finding the faults. Usually it is something simple (and obvious in hindsight). Most testing is just the boring and time consuming logic of isolation. Lets hope you are (in this case) as stupid as me and it is the kill switch (which my brain keeps seeing as 'off' when i look at it, even with full mental capacity ...) Of course I move switch the wrong way which means no start. I do it all the time and still get it wrong! same with the choke, i had to paint a blob on the bar to remind me as many times my brain fades and it looks all wrong! Then when I do get it started I ride away from the store in embarrassment and forget to turn on the fuel so I get right into the middle of the long, leaning, sweeping bend up the road over the tight stone railway bridge six inches from the wall, and engine dies again, usually with a few cars close up behind me because it is my village and I stick to speed limit when no-one else does. I am getting on, and did lots of dope when a kid, whats your excuse?
    Jape, always funny reading your posts.
    I have some tools, and i have space to work on the bike. But I'm just trying to think of all possibilities before i get started. Not smart to take the bike apart only to find I can't finish the job, then I'll have the bike in peices on my front yard. I don't have a jack, and I won't have anyone to help me if needed. Combine that with my less than perfect Chinese, and you see it's not so easy here.
    I usually have no trouble taking stuff apart, it's putting things back that's tricky. If i get it right (happens sometimes), i call myself smart, if not, i call whatever it is im working on crappy China shit.

First to find sprokets. I'll get a closer look and post specs when i get the bike started.

4. #14 Re: kinlon sprocket job ... blimey, i did it! 
    Maybe there is a bikers cafe in Kunming? Or even someone from this forum nearby who might help out. A problem shared is a problem halved I reckon, as long as you don't mind looking like a fool in front of someone else occasionally! I admire you for even having basic Chinese, I have fun with translation tools but really would be helpless over there.

Its strange, most of the stuff I worked on throughout my lifetime was obviously crappy chinese shit when I tried to work on it, just like yours - and this was for the decades when China was closed to the evil long-nosed white man!
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

5. #15 Re: kinlon sprocket job ... blimey, i did it! 
    This is my favorite workstand that I bought here in China, unfortunately the factory hasn't had any more since I bought this one. Maybe one of you Taobao pro's (humanbeing) can find these. Should be about ¥600.

I got this one in the Guangzhou MC market yesterday for ¥350. Works well enough and is very compact.

If your bike doesn't have a centerstand, I highly recomend getting either of these...you will probably find yourself doing more maintenance than before.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Last edited by ChinaV; 04-20-2013 at 03:30 AM.

6. #16 Re: kinlon sprocket job ... blimey, i did it! 
    ChinaV,
    Speaking of center stands, how about finding me one in China for my Qlink XF200 like this one?

Thanks
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

7. #17 Re: kinlon sprocket job ... blimey, i did it! 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    ChinaV,
    Speaking of center stands, how about finding me one in China for my Qlink XF200 like this one?

Thanks
    Also politely waiting for a center-stand for my Shineray XY200-GY-7 !

Stable, and compact:: Perfect. Too bad I live out in the west, taobao is my only option. Would be best if I can find a center-stand, but this also looks very good.
    Last edited by ChinaV; 04-20-2013 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Fixed Photo Link

8. #18 Re: kinlon sprocket job ... blimey, i did it! 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Jape, bike running again. As soon as I have some spare time and cash(won't be long), I'll start the mods...

9. #19 Re: kinlon sprocket job ... blimey, i did it! 
    Excellent news, what was the problem?
    Enjoy it for a while before you start in on the mods mate. What is the weather like your way? Rideable?
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

10. #20 Re: kinlon sprocket job ... blimey, i did it! 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    ... Too bad I live out in the west, taobao is my only option. Would be best if I can find a center-stand, but this also looks very good.
    The Kunming version : 70s jack (made from "army" factory) + welding http://motorcycle.sh.cn/t_619267.htm
    Last edited by humanbeing; 01-08-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast