Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: GPS Buying Tips

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    Maps for the GPS60csx must be in Garmin img format. All these maps are vector maps, while scanned maps are raster maps. Unfortunatelt there seems to be no - or at least no affordable - way to convert raster into vector maps.

There is still mapcenter (see above) for free Garmin maps, which are loadable to Garmin GPSrs.

China raster maps for free download

Andy
    Maybe thats why some people like the Delmore GPS?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    Maybe thats why some people like the Delmore GPS?
    Other format - same problem.
    There are 100+ GPSr manufacturers around and all of them use their own map format only to be used on their units.

Geez.. I bought my Magellan Explorist at a yard sale for $15. Made a 5v regulator, and a quick plug to attach it right to the battery. The cradle was made from hot rolled 1/8 round stock covered in 1/8" vacuum hose after i welded it up. I then clamped it to the bars with a 7/8" stainless muffler clamp. This unit gives me all the info I need, and is waterproof. I figured for less than $25 USD, if it got tore up on the trail or road, I was still ahead.

Guess I will do a write up on it, as well as the schematics to that those who want to mount a $79 gps on thier bikes..
    What the h@!! is an Aluminum Falcon?
    I dont travel to go dirt riding, I dirt ride everytime I travel!!
    http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/USMC-Mustang/

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

4. #4 Re: GPS Buying Tips 
    Slightly out of left field perhaps, but I use a Nokia smartphone for navigation, albeit not yet on a bike.
    I've used it extensively on foot and in the car though, all around Shanghai, Zhejiang, Guangdong & Hong Kong, as well as Europe.
    Running a side by side test against a friend's Garmin around Ningbo, the Ovi maps routes were consistently accurate, sometimes more so than the Garmin

Pro: Maps are free, accurate, and downloadable from the net to either phone or micro SD card, so no data roaming charges.
    Cons: Screen invariably not bright enough outdoors on sunny days, needs a shock-/waterproof box of some kind, screen useless with gloves on.