Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 436 of 634 FirstFirst ... 286386416426434435436437438446456486586 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,360 of 6336
  1. #4351 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    Nope, who is he?
    A somewhat successful author whom wrote about his walk across America many years ago. But in particular wrote of a very harsh experiance passing through your hood.

That said, id still hope to take my bike on such a trip someday...
    2012 DF250RTB_B with Yamaha XV250 V-twin
    1998 XVS650 (For Sale)
    2003 LS650 with Voodoo Vintage hardtail

2. #4352 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by axa View Post
    A somewhat successful author whom wrote about his walk across America many years ago. But in particular wrote of a very harsh experiance passing through your hood.

That said, id still hope to take my bike on such a trip someday...
    Oh, I have that book ( A Walk Across America ) around here somewhere. The police cannot get away with that type of harassment any more.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

3. #4353 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    It is called down shifting.

Down shifting only gets me to about 35 up hills.. and they are little ones lol
    2012 DF RTB_A
    Satin black, 35 tooth rear

4. #4354 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Ive read stories like this before, 'somebody told me they would pay xxxx for the DF', and the first thing i think of is why they didn't realize they are getting pricing offers from someone who isn't even really looking to buy a bike, and possibly knows nothing about bikes... But this is the first time I've read that someone actually went through on the offer...

But are you telling us, if you had any good reason to sell, needed the money, tired of the bike, a newer model had just come out and you wanted it, you wouldn't have taken this guys money? I wouldn't hold anything against you if you did, its not like you were going out looking for a sucker.

Were you promising him something it wasn't? American made? Said you made it yourself?
    Cuz if its dishonest to turn a profit then im confused about capitalism and about what i do everyday.
    If that was the case, then tell me how with a clear conscience CCW can sell the hiest for 150% the cost of the DF.

But I think your confusing value with cost.
    The value of anything is defined as the amount an entity is willing to compensate for it, not the price a separate entity is willing to sell the same product for.

Look up the qualitative value of a product.
    Value = Benefits / Cost
    On the qualitative side, value is the perceived gain composed of individual's emotional, mental and physical condition plus various social, economic, cultural and environmental factors.
    This guy obviously felt he was getting something he wanted (benefit) that outweighed the cost to him (5k)
    Now if you just felt bad for the guy, fair enough, but then you are contributing to the emotional factor stated above.

I know i for one don't really need the money, but im pretty sure I would have parted with my bike for about 5 or 6 grand. And then turned around and purchased 2 more, as i plan on getting my girlfriend one next spring anyway.

But i think i also know something else, im not quite as in love with my bike as others may be.
    I am though quite pleased when people really appreciates the things they have.

Axa,

There is no magic formula.. or complicated algorithm behind my reasoning.. Just the fact that I could not justify profiting so much..due to this persons lack of knowledge regarding the bike. He did stop over yesterday in fact ...and re-offered me 3200 for it. This ..I am actually considering. .. he said that my time and effort spent addressing the known problems more than justifies over paying the dealer price... no hassles with the company.. and no troubles trying to adjust and tune everything.

He told me the paint job alone was worth 300 bucks to him... I doubt this.. but hey... if he says so (:
    2012 DF RTB_A

5. #4355 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Might I invite everyone here. I have dealt with this company several times with hobby RC helicopters. They also have a lot of great bike stuff.. helmets.. tachs.. headlights.. Everything with cheap prices and free shipping. Takes about a month or so to get the items coming from china.. but they have great customer service. I bought an RC from them had had an issue.. and they sent me a replacement plus extra batteries for make up for it. Check it out.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Mo...le-c-1756.html
    2012 DF RTB_A

6. #4356 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebobber View Post
    Axa,

There is no magic formula.. or complicated algorithm behind my reasoning.. Just the fact that I could not justify profiting so much..due to this persons lack of knowledge regarding the bike. He did stop over yesterday in fact ...and re-offered me 3200 for it. This ..I am actually considering. .. he said that my time and effort spent addressing the known problems more than justifies over paying the dealer price... no hassles with the company.. and no troubles trying to adjust and tune everything.

He told me the paint job alone was worth 300 bucks to him... I doubt this.. but hey... if he says so (:
    i think you deserved the full 5k...
    1998 XVS650 (For Sale)

7. #4357 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    i think you deserved the full 5k...

You know... you're probably right.. I did go through quite a lot of BS with scooter depot over that fender. I would not personally spend 5 grand on a 55mph bike though...

In other news.. I saw a 150cc scooter on the freeway today doing 65.... it made me mad.

There was a post here with someone saying something along the lines of... "remember its only 250cc... and a 250cc engine is not powerful enough to travel on the freeway."

Before I was into motorcross I started off with trail bikes..... so let me do a few small 4 stroke comparisons: About 16 years ago I had a honda xr200 dirtbike with basically the same motor as our DF. The bike would run 71 mph stock gps confirmed.. I also had a xr250 that ran 91 mph on pavement.. gps confirmed stock.. I even had a little Chinese 110cc 4 stroke pocket bike that I had registered. I took it on the freeway all the time.. after i regeared it I could travel around 70 mph... Also my wife had a 150cc gy6 powered vespa style scooter that could travel at highway speeds stock. Lastley I had a '89 ninja 250 (much different motor than our DF) and with just a slip on and rear sprocket change I did 123 mph confirmed on GPS... These DF engines are more than capable of running on the freeway if setup properly...however I just dont feel like mine will ever reach the freeway point.. even with more gearing changes.

But honestly my wife's scooter felt like it had more balls than the df .. and I think in a flat out drag race.. the scooter and the little 110cc minibike would smoke the bobber.

I might try and replace the motor with a honda xl250 motor.. my buddy has one that needs a rebuild.. maybe a project ill work on over the winter if i dont sell my DF to that guy... ill have to take some measurements but ill let you know.

In other news.. i bought that HALO LED headlight. ChiTown, how did you end up wiring yours up? Did you have any problems? Did you wire the halo to be on all the time or did you add a second switch?
    Last edited by Bobthebobber; 08-29-2013 at 02:28 AM.
    2012 DF RTB_A

8. #4358 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    We have 2 scooters. A Kymco People 150, and a SYM HD200. The Kymco can do 55-60 on the main highway here. The SYM, we brought from the mainland. It would do freeways just fine. Plus, being twist and go scooters, both are fast off the line. I commuted 65 miles a day into Seattle for years. I rode a 2001 Kawasaki KLR250 for some of that time. I took the back roads in, as I started super early and didn't want to take I-5 in the dark. But I rode it home each day on I-5 and Highway 167. No problem. Not only can many 250cc motorcycles do freeways, but I went on multi-state tours with full camping gear on a 1976 Honda XL350 dual sport thumper. I took mostly more back highways doing it, but I had lots of fun. That was about 1976.

9. #4359 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebobber View Post
    You know... you're probably right.. I did go through quite a lot of BS with scooter depot over that fender. I would not personally spend 5 grand on a 55mph bike though...

In other news.. I saw a 150cc scooter on the freeway today doing 65.... it made me mad.

There was a post here with someone saying something along the lines of... "remember its only 250cc... and a 250cc engine is not powerful enough to travel on the freeway."

Before I was into motorcross I started off with trail bikes... About 16 years ago I had a honda xr200 dirtbike with basically the same motor as our DF. The bike would run 71 mph stock gps confirmed.. I also had a xr250 that ran 91 mph on pavement.. gps confirmed stock.. I even had a little Chinese 110cc 4 stroke pocket bike that I had registered. I took it on the freeway all the time.. after i regeared it I could travel around 70 mph... Also my wife had a 150cc gy6 powered vespa style scooter that could travel at highway speeds stock. These DF engines are more than capable of running on the freeway if setup properly...however I just dont feel like mine will ever reach the freeway point.. even with more gearing changes.

But honestly my wife's scooter felt like it had more balls than the df .. and I think in a flat out drag race.. the scooter and the little 110cc minibike would smoke the bobber.

I might try and replace the motor with a honda xl250 motor.. my buddy has one that needs a rebuild.. maybe a project ill work on over the winter if i dont sell my DF to that guy... ill have to take some measurements but ill let you know.

In other news.. i bought that HALO LED headlight. ChiTown, how did you end up wiring yours up? Did you have any problems? Did you wire the halo to be on all the time or did you add a second switch?
    Some of those 150cc scoots have a two speed centrifugal transmission along with the CVT.My neighbor has a 90cc knock off that was made in Korea or Thailand.It has the 2 speed with CVT and she can keep up with me on my V Star 650 on the highway between towns.

10. #4360 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    Some of those 150cc scoots have a two speed centrifugal transmission along with the CVT.My neighbor has a 90cc knock off that was made in Korea or Thailand.It has the 2 speed with CVT and she can keep up with me on my V Star 650 on the highway between towns.
    I know its a 2 stroke but i had a 50 (49) cc version of my NSR that did 90kmh easy, thats like 60mph... Had 6 gears each with life, up to somewhere around 11-13k

the DF has a very underwhelming engine...
    Last edited by axa; 08-29-2013 at 06:28 AM.
    1998 XVS650 (For Sale)