Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 458 of 634 FirstFirst ... 308408438448456457458459460468478508608 ... LastLast
Results 4,571 to 4,580 of 6336
  1. #4571 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Regular
    Back on the bobber, I have to take off my shifter linkage and weld it again tomorrow. Who has that improved shifter linkage again ?

2. #4572 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 4950cycle View Post
    Hate to tell "US" old timers but, The CVT is HERE ! We finally have the tuff enough materials and the understanding of them to make them perform better than a manual shift and without losing if not more efficientcy . My girlfriends 260 JCL scooter will out accelerate my Ninja 250 to 40 mph (If I'm not out & out drag racing) and still has a nice cruising speed of about 70 + . , And gets 70-80 MPG. And forget about the Fang Bobber, She will beat it in ALL categories, except the COOL category ofcourse. And shes at least 190 LBS. PS I still ride my Fang Bobber though. lol
    I know what you're talking about. I had a BMS TBX260 before, with CVT, but the CVT is not heaven on earth.
    First of all, a cvt can only be tuned one way; either for performance, or for fuel economy. With a manual geared bike you can go in performance mode (high RPMs) OR in eco mode (shifting at low RPMs) without making any hardware mod.

Manual gears allow you to also go beyond the final gear ratio of a CVT. If a cvt is tuned for performance, it's tuned that at 8 or 8,5k RPM (max RPM the engine runs with without losing too much torque), it'll go at top speed.
    With a manual geared bike you can tune the gears so they match this top speed in 4th or 5th gear, while still having 1 gear extra to use as overdrive gear (basically suppose you'd be riding 60MPH, the CVT will be running at 6k RPM, the manual geared bike also 6k RPM in 4th, but shifting to 5th gear, you'd be riding 60 while doing only 5 or 4k RPM, thus you're saving gas).

That, and, the BMS 260 I had rambled apart, and the CVT belt was a goner in 2k miles. I yet have to find the first motorcycle that needs a chain/sprocket change more than once every 30-50k miles.

Also, CVT eats upto 10% more fuel than chain drive, by the belt friction.

You only had 70+ MPG because it has fuel injection.
    A properly set up carburetor should give you the same results.
    If a carbed 229cc motorcycle would be equipped with fuel injection, I see no reason that it won't be able to get 85MPG easily.

3. #4573 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebobber View Post
    My Dyson has way better suction than my friend's hoover. All my buddies are jealous that it sucks up all the dirt off the line... and they have to spend a lot of time going back and forth over the same spot...

Sorry to tell the old timers... buy cyclone technology is here
    WTF do you mean? This thread is about the DF250RTB and not about other bikes. Why is that so hard to understand?

I belong to a forum for my 2012 Ural. I belong to a forum for my 2001 Kawasaki. I belong to a forum for my 2012 Scion IQ which has a CVT. I belong to a forum for my wife's 2013 Outback which has a CVT. I belong to a forum for my UTV which has a CVT. I had a SYM HD200 which had a CVT. ETC...

I don't discuss them here. Why is that so hard to understand?
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

4. #4574 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Regular
    Geez, Don't blow a gasket. I'm trying to get us back on course here. But you guys keep wanting to raise hell about "something" ! What about my shifter ? And BTW I know all about power transmission and being set up for this and/or that, And I do agree with you Prodigit . Except about wear, There is a big difference in quality as far as tires and belts , especially on scooters. Her stock rear tire was shot in 1200 miles. But this Michilin Pilot sport has more than tripled that life hands down. Last said about the scooter.

5. #4575 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by 4950cycle View Post
    Geez, Don't blow a gasket. I'm trying to get us back on course here. But you guys keep wanting to raise hell about "something" ! What about my shifter ? And BTW I know all about power transmission and being set up for this and/or that, And I do agree with you Prodigit . Except about wear, There is a big difference in quality as far as tires and belts , especially on scooters. Her stock rear tire was shot in 1200 miles. But this Michilin Pilot sport has more than tripled that life hands down. Last said about the scooter.
    4950cycle
    Your mamma don't work here. Don't you know how to do a search?
    http://www.gravesport.com/Graves-Mot...Shift-Rod.html
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

6. #4576 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    WTF do you mean? This thread is about the DF250RTB and not about other bikes. Why is that so hard to understand?

I belong to a forum for my 2012 Ural. I belong to a forum for my 2001 Kawasaki. I belong to a forum for my 2012 Scion IQ which has a CVT. I belong to a forum for my wife's 2013 Outback which has a CVT. I belong to a forum for my UTV which has a CVT. I had a SYM HD200 which had a CVT. ETC...

I don't discuss them here. Why is that so hard to understand?

You do realize I made that post about vacuum cleaners as a parody of.. these statements....making fun of all this garbage that is being posted..

"fuel injected. automatic. i smoke everything off the line. my friends dont like that. they have to catch me before they run their rings. is that enough or do you need an entire library of pics. my wife dumped it and scratched it all over the right side. front to end. felt bad and wanted to paint it but i told her i thought it looks cool. i put some really expensive ($6) foam grip covers on it like on the df. didnt need it. but super smooth now. maybe this tread could use some foam covers. its kinda ruff."

"
    Hate to tell "US" old timers but, The CVT is HERE ! We finally have the tuff enough materials and the understanding of them to make them perform better than a manual shift and without losing if not more efficientcy . My girlfriends 260 JCL scooter will out accelerate my Ninja 250 to 40 mph (If I'm not out & out drag racing) and still has a nice cruising speed of about 70 + . , And gets 70-80 MPG. And forget about the Fang Bobber, She will beat it in ALL categories, except the COOL category ofcourse. And shes at least 190 LBS. PS I still ride my Fang Bobber though. lol"

I thought that someone would pick up on this. Apparently not... but at least my wife found it hilarious.
    2012 DF RTB_A
    Satin black, 35 tooth rear

7. #4577 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    C-Moto Senior
    Wow, I hope this thread isnt going downhill. It is too valuable and I wonder if there is a posting limit on it's size. But I agree that common sense dictates that we stay on topic. Yes there is a search engine but posting about grandma's buick in here isnt helping us DF owners. (just joking of course). Even a search engine has limitations. And lord knows I posted Off Topic on the Enfield here so pot-kettle-black. Guilty as charged.

I only pray that if this thread ever closes somebody will have the knowhow and care as to how to save it in PDF format for download and back reference. At this point I do at least have a txt file I keep for the stuff that concerns me most.

And Ironically I am posting this off topic as well. See what you guys started LOL?

8. #4578 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    Enough with the gearing, do whatever you want.

I went riding with a load to the recycling center
    Attachment 13411

and ran into my buddy Jim Tom Hedrick who is an ex moonshiner and now stars on the Discovery Channel's Moonshiner series.

Attachment 13412

Here he is on my DF in front of a still he made for Thunder Mountain General Store outside of Robbinsville,NC.
    That's his liquor scooter (too many DUIs) with a trailer like mine that has seen many miles.

Beautiful day for riding the DF here in the mountains of Western North Carolina.
    Awesome post, barnone, for which thanks! Motorcycles open our eyes to so many good things!

euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #4579 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    So.. something I do not understand.

I watched several videos of the Heist today. The bike completely stock with just a change to a 38 rear sprocket will do 80 mph... this motor is basically the same as ours.. Is it paired with a different transmission?

Had mine flat out today with all the mods and 35 rear 58 mph.
    2012 DF RTB_A
    Satin black, 35 tooth rear

10. #4580 Re: Dong Fang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebobber View Post
    So.. something I do not understand.

I watched several videos of the Heist today. The bike completely stock with just a change to a 38 rear sprocket will do 80 mph... this motor is basically the same as ours.. Is it paired with a different transmission?

Had mine flat out today with all the mods and 35 rear 58 mph.
    Yeah!What's up with that?