Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. #41 Re: I got hit by a car. 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I didn't purposely remove my mirrors, but one they broke off, i don't really miss them. Any why is it that I always lay the bike down to the left? I never once fell over to the right.. wonder why..

2. #42 Re: I got hit by a car. 
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    [...]
    I can't imagine removing mirrors - unless I would want to drive very ignorantly.
    Have u seen in VN? They revert mirrors so it looks like hands praying. They think it's cool.

Till they front-hit smthg and it goes straight through their face...

Seriously, I never felt like I was missing a piece of information about my surrounding while exclusively turning my head left & right, at regular intervals.

Still, I won't argue with u, sure is best to learn how to use mirrors, I just never did.

Tried though, so at least it doesn't bother me too much when maneuvering, I tried to find some handlebar mounted ones when last in France:

Failed to find any, moreover, even those raise handle height and total width...

One day they'll fit a 180degrees camera in the back of helmets and a wide and thin screen above the vision field.

Till then I'll keep ruining my neck I guess.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

3. #43 Re: I got hit by a car. 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by braillce View Post
    One day they'll fit a 180degrees camera in the back of helmets and a wide and thin screen above the vision field.

Till then I'll keep ruining my neck I guess.
    The future is here, err.. .that was two years ago. Have a look here and a newer review here.. Both from same company, Reevu.. a helmet with a built-in rearview mirror. No cameras involved, uses a series of small mirrors somehow built into the helmet.

4. #44 Re: I got hit by a car. 
    Smart!

I was just googling pictures of helmets with mirrors and saw this helmet (among bicycle helmets results chiefly), but didn't click it as it looked standard, while I was more expecting some side mirrors looking like cat ears or smthg.

I'd love to try it.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

5. #45 Re: I got hit by a car. 
    C-Moto Regular
    The thing is he was so close to his apartment and it's a well-known tendency we have to relax our guard when near home. That's why most accidents happen only a block or so away from home. In China, you don't relax your guard until the bike is safely in the apartment complex, locked up, and you've gotten off the bike, happy to have survived another ride.

6. #46 Re: I got hit by a car. 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
    The thing is he was so close to his apartment and it's a well-known tendency we have to relax our guard when near home. That's why most accidents happen only a block or so away from home. In China, you don't relax your guard until the bike is safely in the apartment complex, locked up, and you've gotten off the bike, happy to have survived another ride.
    Too right Steve. My accident happened very close to my home and I couldn't help thinking about this fact at the time. I was warned about this fact by friends and family when I first began driving.

While I was still working back in the UK I had my own second hand Renault Laguna. It was my first car, a very decent car and I took it everywhere.
    I once drove half way across the country to visit my big sister and show her that her little bro was all grown up and had his own car. I'd just arrived on the street outside her home after a frustrating six hour drive through all kinds of traffic and felt really happy that I'd made it. I cut too close to another parked car as I attempted to reverse parallel park and took a huge chunk out of it's rear bumper . There was barely a scratch on my Laguna but this was still something bad that happened because I let my guard down.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345