Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Milton,

Who is master Zhang?

Oh, and is he connected to the guy who still hasn't returned my inner tube?

Thanks!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #52 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Who is master Zhang?
    Oh, and is he connected to the guy who still hasn't returned my inner tube?
    Master Zhang is BG4DNG on www.750.com.cn forum. He is super friendly and really into working on JH600. His post on the TPS:
    http://bbs.750.com.cn/showtopic-6018.aspx

The guy who ran away with your inner tube is Mr. Wang. Incidentally he will be traveling with me this Saturday. I'll make sure he returns back to Shanghai after the trip, personally extradite him if necessary, and recover your tube.

3. #53 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    Now finally I am ready to go on my 10-day trip planned for next week.
    Hey Milton: Glad you finally got the issues worked out before your big ride.
    Enjoy the ride with Wang!

4. #54 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    This thread has been super-helpful & thanks for the contact details re the good Dr. My B is going in for its surgery soon, with the SH Dr. being available on the phone for consultation (nice guy).

I'm still going all-out on the A, however, and upgrading to Bosch sensors & the updated ECU & a few others things.

Unfortunately, the sole Beijing mechanic I trust is out west this month, supporting a bike tour. Hence, I will be hovering over the secondary mechanic, watching his every move on the B. Ugh ... won't that be fun? I wonder who will be killed first?

Does anyone in our circle have contacts for a high-end machine shop inside China? One that's able to design and manufacture high end parts using proper materials?

5. #55 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    ...Does anyone in our circle have contacts for a high-end machine shop inside China? One that's able to design and manufacture high end parts using proper materials?
    How about this place? After all, they probably designed our engines!!
    jkp
    Shanghai

6. #56 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    The AVL looks good, thanks!

I recall you suggesting all of us, as a group, approaching AVL for assistance. I'd certainly be game. Have you contacted AVL yet?

I heard that the 2012's cam lobes have been modified, and it would be interesting to know the reasons.

Back in the day of muscle cars, back home, a lot of shops made a decent living doing crank & cam work. Someone, somewhere, must be souping up their Xiali or Red Flag, just for the h3ll of it!

7. #57 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    I tried calling a couple of times, but didn't get anyone of sufficient heft. No answer today. I do have the name of a senior engineer there, and will try again on Monday. If nothing else, they should be good for intelligence about our engines, and perhaps about Jialing. (Are you listening, Jialing!!)

Really hard to imagine a shop doing that kind of muscle car custom work here. You realize, of course, that technically speaking we are forbidden to modify our bikes or cars? It was one or more of the 1,500 questions in the driver's license preparation materials. Then again, I do now and again see what you or I might have called a "souped up coupe" trolling through Shanghai. Actually more in the mode of those high-performance Hondas you see (and hear) in Japan and Taiwan.

Cam lobes modified? Hmmmm. That's bloody interesting, since that's where Motokai and Milton and Nostalgie had the problem with their decompression valves. The valve sits right on the cam shaft between lobes.

The thought plickens.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

8. #58 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    That's great that you're chasing this down for us. Thanks.

Re: possible 2012 cam redesign. When I (through my sweety) contacted ZHT in BJ, ZHT said he had a cam in stock. Hmmmm. Really? That's interesting.

Sweety raised the question about whether this is a temporary or permanent fix. Given that EVERY foreign-owned JH600 is experiencing this "problem", are we just replacing a failed bad part with another bad part that will once again fail? (e.g, like the rubber chain guide on the swing arm) Sweety also asked how old the NOS part was in his shop and whether it might be best to order a brand new part from Jialing?

ZHT "said" that the 2012 cam has been changed (re C3) and that the new part wouldn't fit. Now, there may have been some translation problem, or maybe ZHT just wants to sell his in-stock inventory, but it really struck me as "interesting" if Jialing has indeed changed the cam design resulting in a "does not fit into older engines". From my limited knowledge, that would almost always mean the lobe angle, deflection, depth, etc., would be changed (to modify a timing issue for the new C3 emissions). A redesign of the decompression valve should just drop in. Personally, I need to see all 3 with my own eyes - my existing cam, a new old design, and a new 2012 design (if one exists).

BTW, one time when I was hanging out at the Jialing shop, a new 2012 owner came by and during our chat he mentioned that he was experiencing some stalls, now and then, on downshifts. Sound familiar?

When sweety was talking with the Dr., he said he has done several JH600s and, so far, the problem has not recurred. His oldest "fix" is less than a year old.

This kinda reminds me of the early stages of the KLR's "doohickey" fix. Kawasaki was obstinate, initially. Always the "bottom line".

9. #59 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    hope to visit the AVL center of PuDong, Shanghai with all JiaLing riders!

by the way, Dr. CUI is not a PhD at all, as a friend of mine since 4 years, he told me that his education ended at his 16 year old. then begins the career of motorcycle repairing as his father. He's only 25 year old now, with one wife and 2 kids.

if you do respect to his problem solving service, please pay everytime a little bit higher than he orded, for feeding his kids better and keep his family stay in shanghai as long as possiable.
    CBF150 in town, JH600B worldwide...

10. #60 Re: JH600 Valve Problem 
    Quote Originally Posted by nostalgie View Post
    hope to visit the AVL center of PuDong, Shanghai with all JiaLing riders!
    Thanks, Nostalgie, but afraid it's not going to happen. I've spoken to AVL and they are singularly unhelpful and unfriendly. All they would say is that their Jialing designs are subject to strict rules of corporate confidentiality, which I can respect. No one there has or rides a JH600, or cares about our bike.

Quote Originally Posted by nostalgie View Post
    ...Dr. CUI is not a PhD at all, as a friend of mine since 4 years, he told me that his education ended at his 16 year old. then begins the career of motorcycle repairing as his father. He's only 25 year old now, with one wife and 2 kids.

if you do respect to his problem solving service, please pay everytime a little bit higher than he orded, for feeding his kids better and keep his family stay in shanghai as long as possiable.
    Excellent advice. He has recently been overheard saying he's not too happy in Shanghai, and would like to return to Jiangsu. I hope we can do our best to keep him here -- though I hope my JH600 stays healthy too!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast