Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
  1. #131 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Did two Benelli 600 test rides--some comments below. In short: bella macchina!!! :-)))

A dual-sport driver said in a previous report "No bite, just bark"--well then, it's a nice bark to me :-)

Very agile engine, but engine was brand-new (just 30 km), so I did not cross 7,000 (the red starts at 13,000). The engine welcomes the revs, but does not need them. Good punch already at 3,000. Runs very smooth, accelerates without gap or break. Hopefully it will be this smooth also above 7,000.

I was doubtful about the front fork, as it is Qjiang production and cannot be adjusted, but no complain. Fork is smooth and sensitive, also on a bumpy road section, no bottoms-out/snap-through.

No gear indicator, but this bike is for the chase. Listen to the engine for shifting, watch the traffic/competition instead and not the dial :-). Shifting is smooth, easy and exact--cannot confirm other forum member's remark about inaccurate gearbox reaction. Maybe it is better to shift quickly and to not confuse the gearbox with sedate action...;-)? Left foot's position with shifting level simply fits and shifting is easy. Shifting is a joy indeed. Finally, the being used to directions again: Up for up and down for down :-). And, the bikes just accelerates and accelerates at full throttle with gapless performance and without any sudden power peaks or breaks. I hardly hit 7,000 revs, so gear shift followed gear shift quickly and so did releasing and pulling the throttle. But each action fluidly fitted with the next, no sudden revs up due to a missed gear or other, maybe even dangerous, annoyances.

I do not feel comortable enough with the bike to emergency brake, but I braked hard. Front brakes are very good, the Metzler tire did not block and the bike slowed down drastically--one might need to watch the mirrors to avoid cars bumping into the bike, as their brakes might not be so strong ;-) Rear brake did not block the wheel, but I wasn't riding solo, so I avoided to block the wheel. And, I also did not try to check how good rear brake would help stabalizing the bike when braking at the limit.

Bike geometry is for Western-drivers. I am 190cm and I wanted to know if I feel comfortable also when riding a bit longer. And yes, I do feel comfortable! Leg position and knee-angle can easily create tension on some bikes (peg position and distance to the seat are crucial here). On the Benelli, angle is acceptable and I have a good connection to the tank. The forward leaning position could reduce the wind pressure at high(er) speed, but makes driving a bit strenuous in town.

Shape of the handlebar does not allow a big range of adjustments. Its quality and look seems a bit cheap, but, imho, other Benelli bikes do also not score with their handlebar optics.
    Mirrors did not vibrate. That makes them usable, even so they are not very large. I like the position of the high beam switch--it can be pushed with the index finger. Tachometer is analog, quite big and at the dominant position in the middle of the instrument block. Revs can be read very easy, tacho does not vibrate. Spedo is digital, position to the right of the tacho, partly covering it. Spedo also shows other info like fuel amount, total kilometers, trip kilometers (I guess). Readabiliy? Not sure, dark grey on lighter grey at daylight. Forgot to read spedo when driving. Btw, speed sensor location is at the rear wheel and was not attached on the test bike (they taped the sensor to the rear swinging fork). Then spedo shows "0" and does not count the milage. I am not sure how easily the sensor can be attaced and detached, but this could become a subject when buying a used bike (?).

Sound is great/best when standing at the red light and playing with the throttle. A bit of a sewing machine when driving, but still nice.

Build-quality exceeds Chinese standard by far. Looks like its is assembled with dedication, if not with love (that's what I would expect from an Italian mechanic :-). Nearly all screws hexagon sockets, important screws with position marker. Paintwork without flaw. If I would see this bike in a bike shop in Italy, it would not come to my mind that is "MiC"--best I saw from Chinese bike production till today.

Delivery time (May 2012) is three month.
    Last edited by tomtom; 05-12-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Update

2. #132 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Thanks for the write-up Tom, this bike keeps on tempting with every report that comes back.

I wasn't super impressed with the exhaust noise either, though i only was allowed to rev it and not test ride it. It sounded a bit rattly. I still want one though...

3. #133 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Thanks for the write-up Tom, this bike keeps on tempting with every report that comes back.

I wasn't super impressed with the exhaust noise either, though i only was allowed to rev it and not test ride it. It sounded a bit rattly. I still want one though...
    Standing behind the bike when somebody plays with the throttle pushes the adrenalin--at least in my bloodstream :-) This sound I find great, exciting. Pure power, aggressive, razor-toothed. Cannot be compared with 1-cyl or 2-cyl sound--no way, that would be comparing apple and oranges. It is 4-cyl-16-valves!

However, it's a different story when riding the bike. But here the adrenalin should get it's push by the bike's performance :-)

It's a street fighter! Sorry when I get bit excited, but for China, this bike rocks!

4. #134 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Hi guys,

Found this article from mid'11 about Qianjiang's purchase of Benelli with statements from Qianjiang Motorcycle director of sales, executive vice general manager Lin Xiaorong:
    http://news.xinmin.cn/rollnews/2011/07/06/11317409.html

Following sections I find interesting (the article is longer); google translation, so enjoy the poetry :)

On the development strategy of Qianjiang, Qianjiang Motorcycle director of sales, executive vice general manager Lin Xiaorong, Qianjiang and Benelli, can be roughly divided into three phases. The first stage is the technology integration phase, which is also the current stage, from small displacement technology to a large displacement from design to manufacturing capacity, the future is still some way to go. The second stage is the brand part of the fusion part of the independent, such as the 2010 Benelli brand of large displacement and small displacement products line mode of operation separately. The third stage is the stage of full integration, Benelli technology, brand culture and Qianjiang local brand culture is full integration, to enhance the the Qianjiang brand force and technical power, and be able to both positive and joint venture brands compete.

It is based on the clear positioning of the company for six years, the the Qianjiang factories and Italian Benelli factory devote themselves to the product well, master the forefront of high-end technology, more comfortable driving experience and passion to the global user to provide better services for users worldwide. "This is the Qianjiang acquisition of Benelli's original intention, Qianjiang, including the consensus of the overseas factories," said Lin Xiaorong, six years, Qianjiang fully absorbed Italian brand for a century Benelli leading technology and manufacturing technology, has been sufficient technology and models of reserve, in order to respond to future market competition as the driving technology, personalized, brand, Qianjiang accelerate the speed and intensity of the new listing, the next few years to gradually fully replace the old product, then,
    Qianjiang the system will move to a newer height.

The same time, the Benelli join Qianjiang even more powerful in brand development.Qianjiang, since acquisition Benelli, Benelli brand only as the Qianjiang a child brand in the operation, company executives also have very clear positioning displacement: 600CC above, all produced by the Italian Benelli, because She has a support system and production system, as well as local skilled assembly personnel and technical reserves; 600CC following domestic and Qianjiang assembly of production, which also benefited from nearly six years Qianjiang technology to the Benelli
    absorption and innovation.

A few years later, the world's top motorcycle brand name Benelli finally no longer is the basis for a Qianjiang Motor to show off the decorations will soon mass production real benefits on behalf of the Qianjiang Motorcycle officially enter the high-end motorcycle market, motorcycles and motorcycle fans "dream lover" and the luxury of the rich to show off the goods and collectibles from the means of transport development. Qianjiang "marketing" strategy, the perfect fusion of Qianjiang and Benelli, is bound to the Chinese motorcycle market caused a big stir.

5. #135 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Maybe I'm new to 4 cylinder bike, but one fact puts me down.
    Some user reported that at city traffic the bike burns 6.5 liter of petrol for every hundred KM. It wouldn't be nice if you were aware the bike need as much amount of petrol as small family car for same distance.
    I need a much more energy efficient bike for daily work surely.
    同志仍需努力

6. #136 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    Maybe I'm new to 4 cylinder bike, but one fact puts me down.
    Some user reported that at city traffic the bike burns 6.5 liter of petrol for every hundred KM. It wouldn't be nice if you were aware the bike need as much amount of petrol as small family car for same distance.
    I need a much more energy efficient bike for daily work surely.
    6.5 liters per 100 km??? And that's a mid-capacity fuel-injected inline four? How's that possible? Did they under-engineer it on purpose? Could that just be a rumor?

7. #137 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    6.4 for every 100km or 36.7mpg that is what the R6 Yamaha engine is rated at.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/Motor...ide/Yamaha.htm

8. #138 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    6.4 for every 100km or 36.7mpg that is what the R6 Yamaha engine is rated at.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/Motor...ide/Yamaha.htm
    Bet R6 has 2 times more HP and 3 times more torque than QianJiang-Benelli does.

9. #139 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    The engine looks closes to the early R6.…
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YZF-R6

The BJ600 does have 25% less horse power then the early R6 and the same fuel economy that the R6 had then.

The new R6 has 35% more power and better fuel economy, that just demonstrates that any future BJ600 has the same development potential.

QJ is government owned and they will not likely give up, but at some point they might get privatized? However in the position they are in today and considering the market for motorcycles in China they are not worth much yet. However they are on a good path, they are offering more and of better quality, but not to the level of the major manufactures yet.

Look at the prices on the R6 offered in the US….
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...8/0/specs.aspx
    Should not take too much imagination to see their target market.

If they do privatize then they should sell shares to the workers, that would be their ideal route to a free market.

10. #140 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    The engine does look the same. Hope they go all the way Yamaha did :)
    For now, though, I think they won't be diversifying their product line just because street bikes are easier to sell. Also because they have to build up a brand name first and then probably venture into different markets.
    IMHO, they'll keep on with this street fighter bike for the next 3 years or so and then launch something more sportbike-like.

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast